Displaying Modules on all Menus Except Selection

For Joomla! 1.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
Forum rules
Please use the mailing list here: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general rather than this forum.
Geraint
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Displaying Modules on all Menus Except Selection

Post by Geraint » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:52 pm

One of the most common support questions I get from clients is

"Why is this module not visible on this page?"

The answer is that a new menu item was created and the module wasn't configured to be visible for this menu item.

There are 2 steps to dealing with this issue comprehensively - a trivial first step and a more involved second step.

First Stage Solution

We implement a fourth choice for module configuration as in this screen shot
allexcept.jpg
In this case the module is visible for all menu items apart from the four highlighted choices.

I have the code implemented for this already - the changes required are very simple but it does require a new binary field in #__modules to distinguish between the default "select from list" from the "all except those selected in the list".

In my experience this quick solution will sort out 60% of the "where's my module?" questions. To trap them all, we need to do a bit more work.

Second Stage Solution

We allow configuration of module display in the menu edit screen. For the menu item you would get a list or grid of positions with all the enabled modules for each position - these could be selected or a checkbox clicked. This list would respect the module configuration value (including the new "all except those selected" setting for the module).

I have started implementing this but not yet finished. I have reached the stage where I'm wondering if its better implemented in the menu edit screen or to have a separate controller/view to handle this with a link from the list of menu items or toolbar.

One of the problems with the menu edit screen is how to fit in 10 or more positions with several modules each, in a way that is easy to interpret and so that it won't get lost hidden at the bottom of the parameters accordion panels on the right side of the page.

Conclusion

I'm interested to know if anyone else is interested in this type of enhancement and if you agree that a separate dialog/task is better than forcing it into the edit menu item view.

Of course I'll post the required patches here when I'm finished - hopefully it will get into the core in time.

Geraint

p.s. We can do the same with assigned templates down the road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tcp
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Displaying Modules on all Menus Except Selection

Post by tcp » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:33 pm

I'd love to look at some patches. Implementing this functionality looks like a simple tweak in ModulesController::save().

( BTW I'm on vacation until April 18th so I may not be able to look at the patches immediately. )
Your solution for a single-page checkout on any website.
http://moolah-ecommerce.com

RoscoHead
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by RoscoHead » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:34 am

This has already been proposed, and the white paper is under review for 1.6: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=501&t=266002

ROSCO

Geraint
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Geraint » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:24 am

Hi Rosco

I hadn't spotted that, in fact I suspect finding it would have taken me a few hours. The problem I find with the Joomla forums is that there is information overload and I find it impossible to keep up with this type of discussion (even if I manage to find it !!!).

I'll add a response there with a reference to my post.

Thanks

Geraint

fabienPT
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fabienPT » Mon May 12, 2008 11:46 am

Could you please post the code changes needed to implement the "All menus except selected " option?

Best regards,

--
Fabio Araujo

StephW
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by StephW » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi,

I would also be very interested in this solution and I really really don't want to wait until 1.6. I understand it would not be the best fix but when an event loses it's menu then my poor user is stuck. I would be sooooo grateful.

Thanks,
Steph

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:53 am

Is there any news or updates ?

rgds
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

ewel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ewel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:12 am

Short of hacking you can now find my module in the JED which can solve the issue if you use the features well. The options offered by the parameters should enable you to set what pages a module position is displayed on regardless of clients forgetting to set the module menu assignment. See http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Coding”