Template custom favicon.ico and searchButton.gif graphics

rgrobelny
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Template custom favicon.ico and searchButton.gif graphics

Post by rgrobelny » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:51 pm

In the latest SVN (6206 2007-01-07 08:38:45) I found that:

1. The file searchButton.gif is missing in images/M_images/
This file is used be default by the core search module (if using an image for search submit is activated in the backend). Is it a bug?

I would like to be able to assign my own template custom graphics to this task - is it possible via a template package (without having to manually FTP the file to the default location)? The only solution I found so far is copying an appropriate file to the above mentioned folder with the name of searchButton.gif

2. Be default including head in the template by inserting into index.php also generates html for the favicon

If I include a custon favicon in the template package main folder, it is not displayed properly - in some browsers my custom favicon just flashes in the address bar and is then replaced by the default joomla favicon (as the browser is advised by the above line of html).

How can I change that behaviour (specify which favicon I want for the frontend)? Maybe it would be better if the core looked in the current temaplate folder for the favicon, and if not found - used the default Joomla one from the main folder.

The only solution so far is overwriting the original favicon. This means that I cannot have different favicons assigned to different templates.

Onyone has different experience in this area? Any help will be appreciated.

rgrobelny
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Browser specific favicon behaviour

Post by rgrobelny » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:08 pm

Further investigating the issue of the favicon I found that IE (tested both 6 and 7) will allways use the favicon that is first in the html code (in this case default joomla), whereas FF 1.5 will allow me to overwrite it by adding a second html link to another file.

So inserting:

Code: Select all

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="<?php echo JURI::base(); ?>templates/<?php echo $this->template; ?>/images/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
after

Code: Select all

<jdoc:include type="head" />
in the template index.php does the trick for FF 1.5 (I do not know about 2.0 and previous versions). This of course is not the nicest solution and it also leaves the issue of Internet Explorer.

Hope this gives some more light to the problem and someone will help me find a better way to achieve custom template favicon behaviour with Joomla 1.5.

Return to “Third Party Testing for Joomla! 1.5”