Search Engine Friendly URLs NOT WORKING

jcerious
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Search Engine Friendly URLs NOT WORKING

Post by jcerious » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:35 am

Hi,

I'm using 1.5.1 and if I turn on search engine friendly URLs I get a bunch of errors on the home page.  This has been written about here: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,257873.0.html.

They said it was fixed in 1.5.1 but it's not working for me.  I'm getting the same errors as before.  The errors look like this:

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/www/components/com_content/router.php on line 38
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/www/includes/router.php on line 302

The other weird thing is that I can't change the SEF setting from the control panel Global Configuration screen.  I have to actually go edit it directly on the server.  If I turn SEF on from the Global Configuration screen, it makes it appear as if it's on.  But it's not.  And if I look at the configuration.php file it's set to 0.  So it's very weird.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Search Engine Friendly URLs NOT WORKING

Post by infograf768 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:34 am

Is your configuration.php file writable?
How did you update from 1.5.0 to 1.5.1?
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

jcerious
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jcerious » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi, thanks for your help infograf - and GREAT question!  Here's why.

Yes, the configuration.php file is writable.  HOWEVER, joomla is having a hard time writing to it.  And sometimes it changes it to unwritable!  For instance, I just went in now and turned ON the SEF features.  It wrote that to the script, then it made the file (configuration.php) unwritable!  So I went into the server (SSH) and made it writable again (chmod 777).  But after doing that Joomla couldn't write to it anymore.  And when I press SAVE or CLOSE from the GLOBAL CONFIGURATION page, it's not saving or closing.  In fact, I just made a bad discovery.

The only way I could get out of this screen was to Logout.  But now when I try to log back in the administrator page brings up a 404 error unless I type in "index.php" on the end of it!!  And even when I do that it brings up the administrator page with no images and nothing in the text menu at the top of the page is clickable!  So I can't click on Site / Menu / Content /Components, etc. 

What in the world is going on!!??? 

Oh, I upgraded to 1.5.1 by downloading the upgrade files and uploading them one-by-one to the server and overwriting the old files that they were meant to replace. 

Thanks so much for your help. 

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:25 pm

Please also look this:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic=263811.new#new

moving this post to resolved.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group