Resolving 3PT installation (Unable to write entry)

Forum closed, please submit your tips and tricks to: http://docs.joomla.org/Category:Tips_and_tricks
aristondarmayuda
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Resolving 3PT installation (Unable to write entry)

Post by aristondarmayuda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:39 pm

For many times I try to install component for Joomla 1.5 (at free host), I always get error message Unable to write entry or similar to fail to put stream. Then I try to use webhost file manager and extract the component manually and this is the key the file manager also fail to extract the file.

Then I try to figure out why I cannot extract the file, and the key is at the operating system that we use to compress the file and operating system that used by the host. For example: If we compress the component under Windows OS the file path at the compressed file will be formatted Windows Like File Format (folder\file.php), but If we host at Linux OS we must know the file format will be different (folder/file.php) in this case will be case sensitive. This compressed component will never be extracted at the host operating system. The conclusion is that we must compress the component (ie, plugin, template, module) in the same OS that used by our host (for example if our host use Linux OS, then we must compress the component using the Linux so we got compressed component file that use linux file style format inside the zip).

It sound doesn't make sense, but I have try this and finally I got my own component uploaded and run. I guess we need to fix the zip.php at joomla libraries so it can adapt automatically with webhost operating system (Windows and Linux)

I hope this will help anyone with this problem.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Resolving 3PT installation (Unable to write entry)

Post by ianmac » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:27 pm

That's interesting, because I have frequently installed the same package on both Linux and Windows systems. I think there is something else that is causing your issue.

Ian

aristondarmayuda
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Resolving 3PT installation (Unable to write entry)

Post by aristondarmayuda » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:08 pm

Well, I hope this can help for some peoples. I know this because I try to extract the component zip manually using Host File Explorer, I got failure message. Then change the package into Linux format, and it extracted with no problem. So if someone got same problem, try extract your component manually using Host File Explorer at any folder, if it succeed then there another problem, if fail check your Host OS. Because zip file save the folder structure depend on operating system that used to compress the zip file.

Thanks for reply.

Return to “Submit Your Suggested Tips & Tricks to Docs.joomla.org now please.”