DISCUSSION: Paid Memberships or Subscriptions in Joomla!!

Discuss the FAQ's here, and get in touch with the FAQ Team.
ben_brown30
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: DISCUSSION: Paid Memberships or Subscriptions in Joomla!!

Post by ben_brown30 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:49 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for getting the new version out so fast, the new features are great.  I posted a problem I was having with IPN's being received when a user signs up on the old version, and the problem seems to still be there with this new version.

Firstly - what port does the Paypal IPN come into my site?  I thought it was port 80 and have checked with my host that this is open.

Secondly - I have completed a clean install of Joomla 1.0.10 and then installed version 0.8 of AEC and the login module that comes with that.  I installed the hacked files from globalnerd.  I have set up one subscription plan - that has a free trial for 3 days and then 0.01 each week.  I sign up using the AEC login module and complete the paypal payments in the sandbox.  i can see the active subscription in both the user and the site paypal accounts.  Have I missed anything?  I don't see what could be wrong?!?  The same appears to happen in paypal (non-sandbox).

Any ideas on what could be wrong.

Thanks in advance

Ben

DailyRacingProfits
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DailyRacingProfits » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:58 am

helder wrote:
DailyRacingProfits wrote: Installation was smooth  :)

Only 2 issues and this may be me  :-[

1)  When I select Settings from the menu, i get the followng message:
Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: myconfig in /home/username/public_html/administrator/components/com_acctexp/admin.acctexp.php on line 1002
Line 1002 is the following:
$row    = new myConfig( $database );
2)  When I select Subscription Plans, It shows USERS at the top left and there is no Add button, to add plans.

Many Thanks

DRP  :-[
Hi DRP,

The admin.acctexp.php file you're referencing for is from AEC v0.6.0. Somehow, your files seems not to have been erased when you uninstall the old version.
I suggest you uninstall it again and go to see if the com_acctexp directories (frontend and backend) was deleted. If not, this should be a permission problem, remove them manually.

Thanks for your support!
Seems I did have an issue with un-installing the old version, it wouldn't delete the com_acctexp directories.  I did this manually and then installed everything and it works fine from the back-end.

Am off to test the front-end now, so will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

DRP
It's all fun & games, until someone loses an eye!!

broma
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by broma » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:14 am

The problem is that you have "Waiting for server..." forever? Do you receive any "Internal Server Error"?
Yes waiting forever. No Server Error.
Using firefox 1.5.0.4 (italian) - joomla 1.0.10

helder
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by helder » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:17 am

ben_brown30 wrote: Hi Guys

Thanks for getting the new version out so fast, the new features are great.  I posted a problem I was having with IPN's being received when a user signs up on the old version, and the problem seems to still be there with this new version.

Firstly - what port does the Paypal IPN come into my site?  I thought it was port 80 and have checked with my host that this is open.

Secondly - I have completed a clean install of Joomla 1.0.10 and then installed version 0.8 of AEC and the login module that comes with that.  I installed the hacked files from globalnerd.  I have set up one subscription plan - that has a free trial for 3 days and then 0.01 each week.  I sign up using the AEC login module and complete the paypal payments in the sandbox.  i can see the active subscription in both the user and the site paypal accounts.  Have I missed anything?  I don't see what could be wrong?!?  The same appears to happen in paypal (non-sandbox).

Thanks in advance

Ben
Can I take a closer look? Please send me an email, and if you allow I would like to access your Joomla installatiom.

thx

helder
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by helder » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:28 pm

ben_brown30 wrote: Hi Guys

Thanks in advance

Ben
We found a bug on plans with "free" trial periods (plans with "0.00" value for trial period). Users subscribed to this plans stay pending forever.
We should release a fix asap.

Thanks for poiting that out.

ben_brown30
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ben_brown30 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:03 pm

No problem, only too glad to help.

Drop me a mail if you need any further help with testing.

Ben

educ
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by educ » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:35 am

helder wrote: Working hard! We are at final tests and adjusts. We gonna need some help for translations of new messages to french and spanish.
anyone??? :)
i think i can ... may be too late though?
helder wrote: I have David doing hard work now, and educ is coming to help us with the core development.

You 2 guys are doing some great work!!

i m now ready to help coding some gateway....need to learn first:
seems 2checkout can deal with authorizeNet (which i dont know neither)

https://support.2co.com/deskpro/faq.php ... icleid=313
https://support.2co.com/deskpro/faq.php ... icleid=189
https://support.2co.com/deskpro/faq.php ... icleid=314

skOre
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by skOre » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:57 am

Wow great - now it seems as if implementing 2checkout is only a matter of copying our authorize.net stuff and changing it :D

And help is never too late ;)
Developer of the AEC Membership Management Component: http://valanx.org
Fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe (and so can you: http://www.fsfe.org !)

DailyRacingProfits
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DailyRacingProfits » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:37 am

DailyRacingProfits wrote:
Seems I did have an issue with un-installing the old version, it wouldn't delete the com_acctexp directories.  I did this manually and then installed everything and it works fine from the back-end.

Thanks

DRP
Have managed to get around to testing the front end, and it works superbly.  :D :D

Now i can get subscribers onto my site more easily.

Once it can be integrated with JACL, then I wont have to manaully change users permissions to particular content.

Good Work Guys

Many Thanks

DRP

Hugo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Hugo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:54 am

Thanks

DRP
Have managed to get around to testing the front end, and it works superbly.  :D :D

Now i can get subscribers onto my site more easily.

Once it can be integrated with JACL, then I wont have to manaully change users permissions to particular content.

Good Work Guys

Many Thanks

DRP
I know it is not integrated with JACL yet but did you get it running "alongside"? And how did you manage, since I have the impression both JACL and Accexp hack the same files ( joomla.php...)

Thanks in advance.

Hugo

DailyRacingProfits
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DailyRacingProfits » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:52 am

I know it is not integrated with JACL yet but did you get it running "alongside"? And how did you manage, since I have the impression both JACL and Accexp hack the same files ( joomla.php...)

Thanks in advance.

Hugo
TBH, I am running it alongside "Group Access" just now until the integration is complete for JACL.  I have to manually give subscribers permissions to the relevant content which is OK for now, but would be better if automated.

Sorry if my replies were mis-leading

Many Thanks

DRP

helder
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by helder » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:16 pm

Hugo wrote: I know it is not integrated with JACL yet but did you get it running "alongside"? And how did you manage, since I have the impression both JACL and Accexp hack the same files ( joomla.php...)

Thanks in advance.

Hugo
Integration with JACLPlus is very close. Actually, it is not so hard, it seems you just need to apply the hacks for AEC AFTER installing JACLPlus. I already made some tests successfully, but still need deeper tests and a consistent installation process defined.

helder
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by helder » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:53 pm

ben_brown30 wrote: No problem, only too glad to help.

Drop me a mail if you need any further help with testing.

Ben
A full package with bug fixes for free trial periods are available at http://globalnerd.org. It is named v0.8.0b.

Thx.

Hugo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Hugo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:17 pm

helder wrote:
Hugo wrote: I know it is not integrated with JACL yet but did you get it running "alongside"? And how did you manage, since I have the impression both JACL and Accexp hack the same files ( joomla.php...)

Thanks in advance.

Hugo
Integration with JACLPlus is very close. Actually, it is not so hard, it seems you just need to apply the hacks for AEC AFTER installing JACLPlus. I already made some tests successfully, but still need deeper tests and a consistent installation process defined.
I guessed something like that. First the Jalcplus hack. Then Hack the hacked files. Too coward (prudent) to try it myself. I'll wait for your solution and am very glad you have started (and continued) the AEC project. Thanks a lot.

Hugo

parkerj
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by parkerj » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:33 pm

If anyone is interested, ElearningForce just came out with SuscriptionPro.  You can check out this link for more info.

spignataro
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by spignataro » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:49 pm

This kind of goes along with what is going on in this post. Hopefully someone might have some ideas:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,78733.0.html
Steven Pignataro
-- http://www.corephp.com

Hugo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Hugo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:25 pm

helder wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Hugo
Just wondering how the development of the integration with JACLPlus is going. Any news on a possible release yet?

Hugo

skOre
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by skOre » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:20 pm

The next release will be in the middle of august. Unless there is an urgent bug to be fixed.

As it seems atm, JACL+ will be integrated :)
Fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe (and so can you: http://www.fsfe.org !)

trraacy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: DIOSCUSSION: Paid Memberships or Subscriptions in Joomla!!

Post by trraacy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:02 pm

apoynton wrote:
dropbombz wrote: Just a reminder to NOT USE JOOMLA PAL !!

They stole my money

Never gave me a download, ever

Don't respond to emails

Don't have a working phone #.

Still haven't refunded my money, for a download I never once have seen or been able to click.
i wish I had seen this post a month ago. I ordered joomlapal, two days later I was emailed and asked which domain it would beu sed on and which version of joomla and CB I was using, I replied and have heard nothing since. I have sent numerous emails and no response.
This is appauling.
Anyone have any idea how I can get my money back?
I stopped in to complain about JoomlaPal and I'm glad I did.

I was on their web site for about 2 minutes and I'm over them.

They don't have a way to be contacted without logging in and good luck finding the price!

So - I didn't even give them money yet and I'm disgruntled! (lol but true)

Will be snooping around in the forum; thanks for posting the info.

Your partner in saying “YES!” passionately to life,

Tracy A. Turner

http://www.tracyaturner.com

skOre
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by skOre » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:40 am

And thats why I find it strange that the author of the main article stil hasn't included all the available (bad) information on them. I pm'ed him twice and each time he said he would do it...

skOre
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by skOre » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:42 am

In our current development build of the AEC we are testing CB integration. This means that we are in the final integration phase of testing for bugs.

We need beta-testers! If you want to be one, subscribe to globalner.org and download the development build. If you don't want to do that, just wait - this functionality will of course be integrated in the next major release that we plan for the middle of this month.
Last edited by skOre on Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

BjarneMortensen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by BjarneMortensen » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:41 pm

Talking about subscriptions and Joomla ->

We have a done a huge component for this and already next week we will have a new version with a lot of new added features (most wanted is the possibility to only use ONE site for subscriptions)

So take a look at http://www.elearningforce.dk

Thanks

Bjarne
Easy - quick - efficient E-learning
for teachers and companies.

w1x
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by w1x » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:33 pm

Hi helder and david,

just a quick question, is there any way to sort out paypal echeck payment method?  because currently if the user pays via echeck using paypal they get activated instantly but it can take up to 3 or 4 days for an echeck to clear.  Is there anyway to activate them after the check has cleared?

Thanks

skOre
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by skOre » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:45 pm

You are right, that feature is not implemented. I just checked the manual, and it seems it is possible that we integrate having the account be activated when the echeck is cleared.

For now, you may want to disable echeck payments in your preferences though, as I cannot make any promises if this will make it into the next version.

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:59 pm

Has anyone ever looked into the viability of having htaccess read an SQL DB for user auth?

I have never tried it but it does seem like something that should be possible!

skOre
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by skOre » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:04 pm

What are you trying to get to? A seperate folder for every user? Or just one folder that they all can access? Cause in the latter case - wouldn't JACL be a much better way of doing it? (also works with the latest AEC btw :D)

DesignDog
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DesignDog » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:35 pm

First off. My apologies because I saw this thread lead in a long time ago and read it through but I guess not all the way and never realized it was still totally active.

Anyway.

I started a general post about paid membership a little while back and which lead up to this point of returning to this thread searching for more info on AEC.

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic=79847.0

The short version is I installed AEC to a tee and Everything installed fine yet I get a

Waiting for Server.
Error: returned status code 406 Not Acceptable

Wondering if maybe my permissions would cause this?

Not sure. But get the feeling that I may not be the only one experiencing this in the future, dispelling the mystery might help someone.

I set up gateway and removed any field info for trial just to make sure and ?

My whole purpose of my original post was to ask the simple question of whether there is an Actual straight-forward solution to apply  basic paid membership for the common Joomla user and what options there currently are and where they all stand?

Some or a lot of this is answered here.

I have to say though I am very pleased at the progress and level AEC has come to. AEC is certainly ONE or at least THEE one major solution to set up paid membership for Joomla fairly easily. Thanks for the hard work.
Last edited by DesignDog on Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know crap, I just have to do this stuff everyday!"

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:09 pm

What are you trying to get to?
Actually I'm not trying to get anything just wondered if it was possible at all...

In most sub based sites I have seen they usually have the pay part of the site in a seperate folder from the public and simply use HTACCESS to protect whats in that folder...

Since everything in J! needs to go through index.php of the root in livesite it might be easier to place a pay site in a sub, protect it via htaccess using the userlist to check auth.

It seems logical that you would be able to do that and if you could it could also be useful in protecting the admin folder and limiting it as well...

DesignDog
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DesignDog » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:13 pm

For the time being I uninstalled AEC.

[hope this isnt an issue upon deciding to reinstall esp if I decide to use JACL]

In the meantime I took a look at MamboCharge Manual.

Oy.

Is it me or WHAT??

No wonder its download a trial first and install.

Its like a model airplane with toxic glue just to get it started.

I mean. Dont get me wrong. It looks great and full of features that if I was installing for a med pay site for say templates or downloads or ?  Anyway. I might want to ponder, and I really dont think its over my head even to go through all that and install the core, it's just that it seems ify something 4-5 hours later and $75 up the road - I dont even know it'll work. But then prob want to try to hack VirtueMart. I dont know.

I think someone should have somewhat of a free version or "lite" version for a paid membership solution for people starting out on a paid website or low profile with at least access to some type of basic manual or common troubleshooting configs with basicly no or limited support or a forum AND a more advanced PAY version with a possible way to upgrade for a price range of around $45. It still makes it affordable. If you can make it so people who use and it and seriously make money off the component pay more even better. i.e. additional support at $75-150hr or add ons or even more advanced version.

Nonetheless. This is surely a long awaited feature to Joomla. And just having a simple low cost or no cost solution [as well as priced out] solutions to work with Joomla is a major contribution to Joomla itself.
Last edited by DesignDog on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know crap, I just have to do this stuff everyday!"

skOre
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by skOre » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:23 am

Hey DesignDog,

Yes, there were a few people who also got this error - its due to the java script we used on our payment plans page. We have now scrapped that completely, as it was only causing headaches, and got back to normal buttons.

Its ok that you uninstalled AEC, your main settings are not completely erased from the db, even users aren't (for the benefit that one could uninstall an old and reinstall a new version without loosing all customers). If you want to use JACL then yes, uninstalling AEC, installing JACL and again installing AEC is the way to go. We have recently introduced an autohacking feature, so that nobody needs to overwrite the joomla.php anymore (you still have to change registration.php though). This also has the effect that if you installed JACL first, we just add our exceptions to it and both will play along just well!

If you want it dead-simple, then you should know, that we also introduced a global trial with the latest versions. With this, any user that signs up won't see anything about payments until he first got through a trial period that you can set.

We still have the last stable version running on globalnerd, so I can't say "go there and become a member for the latest dev release", cause I fear you would get the same error ;) (you could try it though :D)
We plan to release Version 1 later this month (which is enhanced by CB integration, 2Checkout, Allopass, maybe also Worldpay and epsnetpay and lots of other stuff). So you may be interested in seeing that coming :)

Asphyx:
Hmm, I'm not really sure if the htaccess can do such a thing. Although it might be possible the other way round - a php writing the htaccess according to a db.

Return to “FAQ Discussion Board”