Re: Moving / Exporting Joomla's mySql DB to another host or server via phpmyadmi

Discuss the FAQ's here, and get in touch with the FAQ Team.
Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Moving / Exporting Joomla's mySql DB to another host or server via phpmyadmi

Post by Tonie » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:41 am

Than the table prefix is most likely different for the third install. Can you check the prefix value in configuration.php? For the first two installation, it will be jos_. For the third installation, it will be a different value (joomla as you wrote). Can you change this and try again?

rstinghe
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rstinghe » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi,

I've changed the prefix and it worked like a charm.
Thanks a lot for your patience!

Radu

dmgrilli
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dmgrilli » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:17 am

Hey...totally ready to scream....

Had to change the host (from godaddy to siteground) and the url of the site.  dumped the sql from one server to the next using thorough joomla directions)......changed the nameserver from godaddy to site ground specs, uploaded joomla (the entire file) using filezilla and i get this:

I just don;t get it...what am i doning wrong here?  I'm a total idiot when it comes to this stuff
Last edited by dmgrilli on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:51 am

Where did you copy the joomla files (which are loads) to? There are no Joomla files in that directory, otherwise your site would have shown.

dmgrilli
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dmgrilli » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:59 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks so much ahead of time for the advice here.  I'm stymied.

I copied the files to ftp.datastrategyjournal.com using filezilla.  When I open filezilla I can see them on the remote server.  Could this have anything to do with the DNS nameserver?  I just switched over yesterday from godaddy to siteground.

I'm pretty sure I did everything right with the exporting (dumping) and all that.  Could the fact that the url has changed have anything to do with it?  I don't know if that effects php files or sql setting or something.  I really haven't a clue.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:26 pm

To which directory did you copy all the files? Normally, the files should be copied to a directory called public_html or www. This is often a directory right under the root directory you see when logging in with FileZilla.

dmgrilli
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dmgrilli » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:28 pm

this is a nightmare.....so i did all the sql stuff,

1 dumping etc,
2 created new db on new server
3 moved files onto new site using filezilla, (into the appropriate folder...THANKS TONIE..sorry about the previous misspelling.  every man in my family is named 'Tony')
4 filled out the joomla installation stuff (someone suggested i click the dump the old tables jos stuff because joomla wouldn't let me install because there were already jos files there) 

and I went to the site it was as if all the changes I had ever made to the site were erased....sooo, i figured this was because i hadn't used the latest files from my previous remote server but rather just the files from my local, so

1.i transferred the files from my previous remote server(godaddy) to my local server and then to my new remote server (siteground)

I see only an error message (line 71 of includes/version) so i've deleted the new database and pulled every file off and i'm going to start over. 

okay so i started over and I did everything,

1 sql transfer to new server
2 upload of files that i had had on my previous remote system,
3. editing of the configuration.php file and reupload of that

and this is what's happening again url removed

I didn't even get to the joomla intallation page this go around

I am so confused!! 
Last edited by dmgrilli on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:28 am

In the FAQ forum, you can find two threads about moving a site from one location to another. This has very good information. The problem you are experiencing now, is that the absolute path settings in configuration.php have to be changed. These are different from you old file paths, check /home/datastrategyjournal/public_html against /home/datastra/public_html.

dmgrilli
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dmgrilli » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:26 pm

Hi Tonie,

Thanks,

changed the PHP but now i get the 'could not connect to the database server' message.

do you think i have configured my php wrong?  i have looked all over the board you suggested.  perhaps i can find someone there to look at my php and see if i've messed it up somehow...

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:47 pm

When you moved your site, your database, database user and password will most likely also be different. These can also be configured from configuration.php.

dmgrilli
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dmgrilli » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:23 pm

Hi Tonie,

I changed the db name, user and pw name and changed the $mosConfig_host  to my new dns server's..

basically I changed the php from this"

To this:

I've tried any number of variations here thinking i may be doing something wrong including changing the $mosConfig_dbprefix = 'jos_dmgrilli'; to jos_datastra (though nowhere on the boards does it actually say to do this), putting the username in a different way, changing the db to just mysql or datastra, changing the 'datastra' in the pathname to 'mysql. 

I'm assuming i'm missing something here.  It's very possible there is a simple resolution but that I'm just not educated in this stuff.

Thanks for all your help.  I'm sure you have better things to do, but most grateful.  I owe you a virtual 6-pack..
Last edited by dmgrilli on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:01 pm

What account do you use when connecting with Phpmyadmin? This is also the account you have to use here. If you can login, you know you have the right combination of user and password, the name of the database you can select from the dropdown screen on the left.

$mosConfig_user = 'dmgrilli';
$mosConfig_password = 'password';
$mosConfig_db = 'dmgrilli';

dmgrilli
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dmgrilli » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:35 pm

you know it doesn't make me log into my sql, just the control panel, and I have tried every combination of user names including:

datastra (which i use to log into my control panel on siteground)

datastra_dmgrill (which is the user assigned to the datastra_mysql database)

and

dmgrill just by itself

should my $mosConfig_secret be changed to something different than I had on the first site? or perhaps the $mosConfig_dbprefix needs to be something different? or maybe the $mosConfig_host should be changed to local (i changed this to my new siteground DNS server)?

I think i have tried all these combinations, but it's worth asking

does the new PHP look right to you? 

I wouldn't be so freaked if this was my site, but you know, it's my job and I really like my job.

dmgrilli
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dmgrilli » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:24 pm

Haven't a clue why it happened but now my went up and then it went down two minutes later....what the heck!!
Last edited by dmgrilli on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfreak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jfreak » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:36 pm

I ftp’d my files from the old web site to the new one, & I exported my database from the old web site and then imported it to the new web site. But, when I try to edit the configuration file to reflect the new values, it gives me the following message:

This site is temporarily unavailable.
Please notify the System Administrator
Could not connect to the database server

dmgrilli
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dmgrilli » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:51 pm

when i had this problem, i just couldn't seem to figure it out so I contacted my new host and discovered than instead of having mosConfig_host = 'with the server number here' in my configuration file I had to put 'localhost'....that solved all my problems. This was different than my previous host who actually needed the numbers there.

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi Joomla folks,

I've being reading several posts in the forum, but I haven't found a solution for my problem. I've successfully  moved many joomla sites to different folders and servers, but this is the first time I encounter this problem.

I'm moving a site to a new server (Dreamhost), after following all steps in the procedure, when atempting to import the db DUMP into the new server, I kept receiving the following error:

#1007 - Can't create database 'klitekphp'; database exists

It obviously existed because I created before to import all tables

So I contacted the hosting service and they imported the file for me (still don't know what was the problem), now I can see all tables in the database. This is fine now.

However, when changing config.php to the new database values and paths, and whenever I try to access mysite.com/index.php I get the following error.

Warning: include_once(/home/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/includes/patTe ... mplate.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/.thove/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/components/com ... omment.php on line 1

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/includes/patTe ... mplate.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/.thove/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/components/com ... omment.php on line 1

Warning: include_once(/home/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/language/english.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/.thove/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/index.php on line 140

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/language/english.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/.thove/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/index.php on line 140

Warning: require_once(/home/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/components/com ... parser.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/.thove/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/mambots/conten ... ctsnap.php on line 38

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/components/com ... parser.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/.thove/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/mambots/conten ... ctsnap.php on line 38

Acording to what Deamhost says, I'm, suppouse to remove .thove from the path used in config.php, but whenever I try to access the site I encounter the error mentioned above and I also get  .thove in the absolute path, even-though, it does not appear in config.php

In this case, there's also a problem with virtuemart, but I really don't get it yet...

Trying to work it out, I decided to add the  .thove to respective paths in config.php, saved and uploaded, and then I get this error.

Warning: require_once(/includes/version.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/.thove/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/includes/joomla.php on line 72

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/includes/version.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/.thove/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/includes/joomla.php on line 72

this error refers to this line in file joomla.php

require_once( $mosConfig_absolute_path . '/includes/version.php' );

I'm not quite sure what the problem is, is it something with the absolute path and the  .thove thin? or is it a db misconfiguration? or maybe some conflict with virtuemart?

The folder structure has changed, the site was previous server in htdocs/klitekphp, but now in the new server (Dreamhost), the web  site root is in a folder called http://www.sinergy-networks.com. Could this also be an issue?

I'd really appreciate your help on this one since I haven't being able to solve it by myself

Thank you in advance
Last edited by ordep zerep on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:30 pm

I'd start with checking configuration.php in the root of your website. Check the difference in paths between /home/username and /home/.thove/username. Your absolute paths aren't set correctly due to the fact that you moved to a new host, and each server has it's own phyical path.

global3747
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by global3747 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:15 am

Hello,,

I've been trying to upload a site for the last 3 weeks and, having no previous mysql or php experience, have struggled to get to this stage and am DESPERATE for some help. I have tried other boards with no luck and this lead is as close as I can find to my issue(s)

I created my Joomla site locally and have managed to FTP all by files onto my host (GoDaddy) and used JoomlaPack to get the Database in place.

I get to Step 1 of the installation process and am stuck with the message:

A database error occurred when running query

;

The error was:
Query was empty SQL=;

Please help if you can, I have 3 months invested in building this site.

Thank you

J

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:01 pm

Hello Tonie, and thank you for your answer. I have checked config.php many times, and test it with both paths, but didn't work for me. I used the info.php file that was posted earlier in this post, and I found out that the path is /home/.thove/username/www.sinergy-networks.com/. However, technical service at dreamhost says that the .thove must be removed from the path in orther to make it work. But really, it does not work for me. I still can't figure it out, I'm not sure what am I missing here?

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:16 pm

You can do the following.

* Get a clean install of Joomla.
* Create a directory testing in your website.
* the install to testing.
* Go to http://yoursite/testing.
* Install Joomla the normal way. Either in another database or use another prefix. This is important!!!!
* At the end of the install, a configuration.php will be written in /testing or you will get a screen with the text for configuration.php. In here, the paths are automatically detected. Remove the /testing, and this will be the paths that are needed by your production site.
* Remove the new site if ready.

ordep zerep
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ordep zerep » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:05 pm

Thanks, I'll try that out to see what happens, it must work this way. I'll get back here if I still enconter problems.

CHeers

flyafox
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by flyafox » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:23 pm

OK...I've done everything I can here.  I can access my administrator backend just fine, log in, etc.  When I try to view the site, it simply wants to go to an install.

I moved it from a local Mac Pro to an ISP hosted site

I modified the configuration.php with the new information

Help???????

http://www.compeducate.com

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:50 pm

try a different template the one you are using could have gotten corrupted on upload.
Loyd Headrick
http://wx4lh.info

flyafox
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by flyafox » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:41 pm

k4lch wrote: try a different template the one you are using could have gotten corrupted on upload.
Thanks Lloyd, I did that but still wants to run the install script.  I may just re-build the whole dang site as much time as this is taking.  Demo site for a client.

Any other ideas would be appreciated though, as I really hate to have to re-build it all.

dohertyboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dohertyboy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:34 pm

Hey thanks for all comments regarding this and guillems in depth explaination of moving site between 2db

>> I am about to make the leap of faith and make a copy of my site and move it to a new website on the same server (haven't touched a thing yet as im scared :)
>> anyhow, i previously tried to move a joomla site over from a testing site to its official site and incountered major probs, although i didn't have guillems tutorial then either. My sites database structure retained the old root directory /oldsite.com/index instead of /newsite.co.uk.index and it bugged me as to what to do. In the end i ended up doing a fresh joomla install, setting up a new db and then having to create all the pages by copying and pasting them into othe newsite.co.uk

>>as i am about to try the instructions given by guillem, there is one thing which he has not brought a hallow of note on and something which I have described with someone else before;
  • If you move all files including com/plugin/modules which were unpacked thru joomla admin (Q) will they not retain an old root structure since they were not manually uploaded via ftp
  • we discussed this as my buddy (the administrator) had real difficulties with getting everything to seamlessly move accross without a hitch
Has anyone ever encountered issues like this or will the instructions of Guillem relinkish all fears that I have ?  :)

Bjorn2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Bjorn2 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:20 am

Not sure if anyone has come across this, however, (1) I need to be able to pre-populate the fields stored in mysql from the website (i.e. registration details) into the same fields of a different SQL server database off site, real time (i.e. as soom as the new member registers)? (2) When creating a link to another website I would not only like to point the user there but also send through a number so that the user doesn't have to re-login on that site and the host of that site will use this number as the persons login ID and accept its validity?

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:54 am

@bjorn2

Not easy to implement. The first can be done with Mysql triggers. The second is harder. Just a user name is not enough to authenticate to any site/service. Additional information is needed (Kerberos uses tickets for example).

Bjorn2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Bjorn2 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks Tonie will investigate the first suggestion in more detail, the second however, what I am trying to do is send just a cell phone number along with the link and the developer on the other site will take it from there? Thanks again

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:50 pm

Developing authentication techniques is not one of my strong points, there are a few things to look at. How do you get your data over the link without anybody can see it? Using the cellphone as password in itself naturally isn't secure. Than the question how to actually do the authentication with the cellphone number.

Return to “FAQ Discussion Board”