FAQ: This site is temporarily unavailable - database issues

Discuss the FAQ's here, and get in touch with the FAQ Team.
pisicaverde
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: FAQ: This site is temporarily unavailable - database issues

Post by pisicaverde » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:10 pm

I have the same problem at http://www.romagrotec.ro    :(

Sometimes the site works ok, sometimes it's offline - due to mysql error nr. 2.

The hosting company told me it has restricted to 20 the limit of max connections per database. Other domains hosted in the same cPanel account, with other databases, worked perfectly while the Joomla installations remains offline.

Usually, in 10 minutes it goes back online without any intervention.

What should I do ?

I mention that i've unistalled almost all modules, mambots, components, a page has only 14 queries, AND the cache is turned on... but the problem persists. The tech told me, I shoud place a mysql_close at the end of the page... is it a good idea ? Did anyone done it ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you, best regards,

Ciprian

paloma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by paloma » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:42 pm

pisicaverde wrote: I have the same problem at http://www.romagrotec.ro    :(

Sometimes the site works ok, sometimes it's offline - due to mysql error nr. 2.

The hosting company told me it has restricted to 20 the limit of max connections per database. Other domains hosted in the same cPanel account, with other databases, worked perfectly while the Joomla installations remains offline.

Usually, in 10 minutes it goes back online without any intervention.

What should I do ?

I mention that i've unistalled almost all modules, mambots, components, a page has only 14 queries, AND the cache is turned on... but the problem persists. The tech told me, I shoud place a mysql_close at the end of the page... is it a good idea ? Did anyone done it ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you, best regards,

Ciprian

Same problem... Is it possible that Joomla doesn't close it's connections to mySQL properly. When I put my site online I had no problems. Just recently when I got up to 250 unique visits per day this problem emerged.

pisicaverde
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pisicaverde » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:36 am

Somehow the problem was solved by my provider - it had to reconfigure the mysql without the 20 connections limit, and some other changes ("something" raised to 4 GB etc).

I don't know if other hosting providers are willing to make such changes, but i'll ask mine to send me the list of changes, just in case.
However, i have now 3 Joomla sites hosted in the same cPanel account, all of them working fine.

The only sure thing - the problem is from the mysql config.

Best regards,
Ciprian

orlisgal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by orlisgal » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:42 pm

bigjules wrote: Hi,

I've solved my problem by needing to insert my hosts Host Name for the DB in the config.php where the IP normally goes.
I'm having issue #2 -- but how on EARTH do you get to see the config.php file and make changes to it?  How do you open it?  Just a LITTLE frustrated here...  Thanks for any help!

Zardoz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Zardoz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:04 pm

orlisgal wrote:
I'm having issue #2 -- but how on EARTH do you get to see the config.php file and make changes to it?  How do you open it?  Just a LITTLE frustrated here...  Thanks for any help!
Within Joomla!, Site - Global Confiuration - Database tab

If configuration.php is listed as unwritable, you will need to change its permissions in order to edit it. It is located in the root Joomla! directory.

HTH

Ron

orlisgal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by orlisgal » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:17 pm

Zardoz wrote:
orlisgal wrote:
Within Joomla!, Site - Global Confiuration - Database tab

If configuration.php is listed as unwritable, you will need to change its permissions in order to edit it. It is located in the root Joomla! directory.

HTH

Ron
Hey Ron -- thanks for the help.  I see the file.  I know where it is, but what program do I use to open it up and see it?  Sorry for my ignorance, but 'til now, I've done all my websites myself, pretty much using a template and html, or html from scratch, so I'm not versed in how to open a php file...

Thanks!

pisicaverde
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pisicaverde » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:30 am

Maybe I was not clear... you do not to edit the Joomla configuration file (config.php), 
you need to configure your mysql server settings. Usually it's done by your hosting provider.

Best regards,
Ciprian

orlisgal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by orlisgal » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:00 am

pisicaverde wrote: Maybe I was not clear... you do not to edit the Joomla configuration file (config.php), 
you need to configure your mysql server settings. Usually it's done by your hosting provider.

Best regards,
Ciprian
Hi Ciprian -- thanks for the input!  I didn't realize that.  Not based on what you wrote but based on other posts, I was under the impression one needed to take a look at the config.php file to make sure it was properly written.  Once I opened it, mine appeared to be fine.

Per Ron's sage advise, I've contacted my host; they say the problem may be on their end (geez -- usually they tell you it's your problem not theirs...I was shocked but pleased!) and that they sent it "up" to a senior level mgr.

Do you think I should send him/her the information you've posted to help them along -- or would that hinder them?  Advice?

Thanks again -- appreciate everyone's help!

werx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by werx » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:30 am

I have an intermittent problem, there's no number with the error though, just :
This site is temporarily unavailable.
Please notify the System Administrator
Could not connect to the database server
I'm guessing this is a problem I need to take up with my host?

orlisgal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by orlisgal » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:53 pm

werx wrote: I have an intermittent problem, there's no number with the error though, just :
Take a look here to see if any of this applies: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,3647.0.html

werx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by werx » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:45 pm

orlisgal wrote:
werx wrote: I have an intermittent problem, there's no number with the error though, just :
Take a look here to see if any of this applies: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,3647.0.html
It's definately number 3 I would say, but, it's very intermittent. The site will start being slow with page refreshes, and page loads. Eventually I get that error, usually only once, then the pages load ok again.
Last edited by werx on Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orlisgal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by orlisgal » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:15 pm

werx wrote:
orlisgal wrote:
Well I'm starting to think it's not us...it's our webhosts.  To be honest, I'm really pleased with mine right now, and I don't NORMALLY feel that way about webhosts.  I own more than a few websites, and most are hosted with a certain "un-named" webhost.  I just got this new site and hosted it with ehost.com. 

I emailed them as Ron suggested, and not only did they admit the problem was on their end w/one of their servers, but they APOLOGIZED for the inconvenience, and told me they were working at resolving the issue.  They also admitted they could not give me an exact date of resolution, but they'd be working diligently on it.  Now I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have them tell me that, than "it'll be done in 2 hrs." and then not have it fixed. 

I got a "problem's been resolved" email and checked my site and WHAM...it came up, the admin control panel came up, and I'm able to play around with it...I'm so jazzed.  Never had a webhost admit they were the problem and then fix it so quickly without making me feel like it was my fault first.

Okay -- enough kudos -- I'm off to play with my site.  Now if only I could figure out how to make it look purdy...I'd be a REALLY happy camper!  Thanks to everyone for your help.  For those of you seeking a solution...I think it may be the problem lies w/your webhost.  Good luck!

It's definately number 3 I would say, but, it's very intermittent. The site will start being slow with page refreshes, and page loads. Eventually I get that error, usually only once, then the pages load ok again.

Return to “FAQ Discussion Board”