DISCUSSION: Guide:: Install Local Uniform Testserver & Joomla! in 20 easy steps!

Discuss the FAQ's here, and get in touch with the FAQ Team.
airbag
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: DISCUSSION: Guide:: Install Local Uniform Testserver & Joomla! in 20 easy st

Post by airbag » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:23 am

Hello All,
Thanks so much for this tutorial, I have a client who is is trying to set this up and they have followed this process but are getting a "Errcode: 2" when trying to add a new user under the Privileges section.

Error is: #1 - Can`t create/write to file '\tmp\#sql_474_0.MYI' (Errcode: 2)

can anyone shed some light on this?

Many thanks,

s4racing
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: DISCUSSION: Guide:: Install Local Uniform Testserver & Joomla! in 20 easy steps!

Post by s4racing » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:16 pm

Thanks for the guide to install Joomla with Uniform server....
Th server is up, and the Joomla site works just fine.... On the computer where i have the server, but when i try to lock on it on a different computer, i only get the text, no pictures, no nothing... The Links dont work nothing.... Ive been trying to fix it for about a week now.... Please someone  Help Me ???

Go check on www.s4racing.se

jo37
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: DISCUSSION: Guide:: Install Local Uniform Testserver & Joomla! in 20 easy st

Post by jo37 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:57 pm

Hi
Firstly thanks for producing such a clear guide for newbies like me. I didn't crash and burn until step 11/12 - which is pretty good!
Server seemed to be up and running, but when I installed Joomla - to c/program files/uniformserver/Uniformserver/diskw/ it then stopped working. When I put localhost/demosite into my browser I get 'unable to connect' and if I try to restart the server through c/program files/ then I get 'connecting to localhost' flashing at me.

I've spotted what might be the fix (sorry don't know how to attach old threads but this was from 14/02/06)
- do you need italian? if not disable.....if you do not know how try otherwise the following:
find in: Uniform Server\diskw\home\admin\www\phpMyAdmin\libraries\select_lang.lib on line 305 - 307 this information:
// 5. Defines the associated filename and load the translation
$lang_file = $lang_path . $available_languages[$lang][1] . '.inc.php';
require_once('./' . $lang_file);
save (w/different nam) and delete. Be very precise!

I've highlighted the last bit in red because  I haven't got a clue what you mean by it. Do I just delete lines 305-7 and then save the whole select_lan.lib file with a different name????
Sorry to be clueless!

Clemenza
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Install disk space needs, virtual sites & Joomla, XML & Zlib on Sarge?

Post by Clemenza » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:51 pm

I need to install Joomla on an Apache server running on Debian Sarge, serving virtual web sites.  I intend to set up more than one of the virtual sites with Joomla.
  • Is there a guide for installing Joomla to an Apache installation with virtual sites?
  • If I install Joomla just for one virtual site on the server, how much disk space is needed for the server upload of Joomla files, and how much disk space is needed post-installation (not including space for content)?
  • I searched the FAQs and found a listing for avoiding a Joomla subdirectory by using re-write rules in the server configuration file.  Is this the only way of avoiding the Joomla subdirectory, specifically for virtual sites?
It would be a good idea to add disk space requirements to the system requirements page http://help.joomla.org/content/view/34/132/ in the Joomla docs. (and also make the system requirments page a little easier to find from the front page of the Joomla site).
You must ensure that you have MySQL, XML and Zlib support built into your PHP.
For Debian Sarge, if I install MySQL with PHP support/libraries and PHP supporting MySQL, via apt-get, will I have XML and Zlib support automatically built into PHP?  I'd like to stick with apt-get for updating the server to ensure I'm able to install timely security upgrades.  How can I check to see if XML and Zlib support are built in with my Debian Sarge install?

Thanks.
Last edited by Clemenza on Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jo37
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jo37 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:25 pm

Please please please could a white knight help me out with a reply to my post of 4th July? All I've gotten so far is some very rude spam (although moderators were exceptionally quick to act on that - thanks.)
I'd just like to be up and running. :'(

:) Cancel that! Have just discovered where I went wrong.

At step 12 I was trying to rename the www folder to localsite not the installation folder beneath it. (Knew it would be something blindingly obvious but thought would share it in case anyone else is as ditzy!)
I did then manage to install Joomla - and promptly lost it! However now I know that the server works and that I just need to dig around a bit tomorrow...
Last edited by jo37 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kavala
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: DISCUSSION: Guide:: Install Local Uniform Testserver & Joomla! in 20 easy steps!

Post by kavala » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:49 am

Hello!
My problems are:  1) when i extract joomla to www, it asks to overwrite index.php since it already exists . i tried both(overwrite or no) but when i type localhost/demosite to my explorer i get the message the page does not exist...

any proposals? i have to mention that i did not set any privileges(no new user) and when i tried the file start server it did not start automatically, but i have to try stop server and again start server in order to enter uniform server and start sql

Thank u in advance for your help!

2buckets
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 2buckets » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:41 pm

The tutorial is a great find after all the searching I've done to get my problem solved! It worked like a charm. :D

I have an older (4.5.1a stable) version of Mambo that I want to upgrade "safely" to Joomla. My understanding is that I must upgrade 4.5.1a to a later version of mambo before converting to Joomla. So what I've done is install the Uniform Server and Mambo 4.5.1a. My intentions are to get Mambo installed on the local server, copy my "live site" files to the local server, apply the patch to the newer version and then convert it to Joomla.

Once that is done, I can apply any template mods, etc and get the live site looking much as it does now before uploading to the live server.

My problem is that when I get to the step 2 page in the mambo installation on local server I get an error message.

SQL=Invalid default value for 'rating_sum':
- - - - - - - - - -
# Table structure for table `mos_content_rating`

CREATE TABLE `mos_content_rating` (
  `content_id` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `rating_sum` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default '',
  `rating_count` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `lastip` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`content_id`)
) TYPE=MyISAM

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I can't afford to lose nearly 2 years of work on the site so that's why I am persuing this method for my upgrade. :-[
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

joomlaturk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomlaturk » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:46 pm

you get mysql errors when your web server mysql version and localhost uniformserver mysql version
that you installed in your hard disk might not be same.
I believe unifoserver using mysql5 and your live site might be using a lower version mysql
try lower verion mysql with uniformserver
read this http://forum.uniformserver.com/index.php?showtopic=120

they have plug ins to lower mysql version
http://forum.uniformserver.com/index.php?showtopic=481

another option is
first find out your web server mysql version
then go to this site and find a APPSERV with same all very close version mysql and install it to your localserver
http://www.appservnetwork.com/

good luck
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joomla 1.6 Türk destek sitesi http://www.joomlaturk.net/

2buckets
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 2buckets » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:03 pm

Thanks for the reply mamboturk but I don't think that's the answer. This is a new install of 4.5.1a on the local server, also newly installed. There should be no conflict with any files on the live server as none of them are located on local server.

If I am wrong please let me know.

joomlaturk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomlaturk » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:10 pm

uniformserver is using mysql5 and php5
find out mambo 451 works with both of them
it might night work
your mambo version is veryyy old

2buckets
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 2buckets » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:19 pm

I'll check into that. Might be that Uniform Server and Mambo 4.5.1a are using different versions of mysql. Sorry, but I didn't understand your post initially.

Yes it's old. Shame on me but I'm learning.... That's why I want to do this all on the local server first.
Last edited by 2buckets on Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joomlaturk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomlaturk » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:32 pm

your problem with mambo is mysql version of uniformserver mysql5
try to install APPSERV with same version mysql with your mambo

on your live site go to mambo admin and system tab and find out about your mysqlversion first

2buckets
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 2buckets » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:05 pm

From the back end of Mambo, I am running MySQL ver. 4.0.21 ands all I can find on http://www.appservnetwork.com/ is 4.0.20 and 4.1.27.
Think I'll talk to my web host about this and/or log in and see if there is an upgrade available.

I log in to my host and find MySQL 3.23.54 running on...... phpMyAdmin 2.6.2-rc1

Am I wrong or is there a problem with this scenario?

joomlaturk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomlaturk » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:21 pm

I think your web servers mysql version is verrryyyyyy old.
talk to your hosting provider.
he should upgrade mysql for everybody that on that server

2buckets
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 2buckets » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:32 am

I still haven't got a reply from my web host. So I have initiated plan B.
There is an unused domain I own so I uploaded a stable Mambo 4.5.1a package there. Will upload the changes made to the original site, add the patches one at a time and see how it goes.
Slower but sure. Can't lose the site and start over at this point.

kavala
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kavala » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:27 am

please see post 35 and give me a help!

rslvirginislands
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rslvirginislands » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:30 pm

I am receiving an error when trying to set privileges:  Error is: #1 - Can`t create/write to file '\tmp\#sql_c5c_0.MYI' (Errcode: 2)

I was able to get the Uniform Server up and running, but when I tried to install the Joomla files I never got to the point where I could configure it, just "you do not have permissions" page

I followed everything exactly as listed, so I am going to tell you what else is going on:

I am running Windows XP Home, with Zone Alarm plus Firewall.  I added localhost:80 as an allowed site, and I also did the same with Internet Explorer.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled so many times that I may be creating more problems doing the same thing over and over.

The tutorial was written for newbies, and in this case I am one.  I just wanted the opportunity to run my Joomla files without having to connect to the net.  I live on an island and can only get dialup where I live.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!  And thank you for this wonderful set of rules to help us get closer to enjoying working with Joomla.

natashenka_66
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by natashenka_66 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:58 am

thank you for great tutorial!
Last edited by natashenka_66 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

danceswithlife
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by danceswithlife » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:01 am

Hello from Canada,

I'm facing a small 'challenge' trying to set up the Uniform Test Server. I believe is related to an improper setting somwhere at my end and not with the Uniform Server. I thought I would ask the board if there was anything "obvious" I was overlooking before digging too deep for a solution.

Downloaded V3.3 from:
sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=53691&package_id=48193&release_id=380879

Scanned downloaded file with Norton
Created new dir at c:\myTestServer
Extracted v.3.3 with stuffit utility to c:\wamp
(extract suggested creating c:\wamp so I let it install there)
Started Uniform Test Server in firefox
Made it to Step 6: click phpMyAdmin and get the following message:

" Security Alert! Possible Attack
HTTP_REFERER is not localhost. but ''.
To disable this warning go: /home/admin/www/cgi-bin/secure.pm "

I don't think its an attack of any sort, but i cannot proceed.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,
...we write documentation for extension developers.

non-teki
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by non-teki » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:52 am

greetings fellow joomla! fans!

dude leo, your tutorial really rocks!  8)

i waz able to get the uniform server and joomla! runin' in my work pc thanks to your guide! just a question, coz i'm really not much of a techie...

excited, i tried viewin the newly installed joomla in another pc in our LAN. i typed both the name of my PC and then its IP address but keep getting an HTTP error 403 -Forbidden. basically i can't view the site in another locally connected PC. Before Uniform Server, i used Xampp and installed it also in my PC. although i was able to connect to the joomla server PC, the contents didn't come out well (as in, they're everywhere!) i waz hopin' that with Uniform Server diz'l get fixed.

what i really want to accomplish is to get the joomla! runnin' in r LAN only, viewable by all connected PCs as a medium to communicate wid each other using forums and probably monitor r projects.

any help is greatly appreciated! more power to y'all!  ;)

UnseenWarrior
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by UnseenWarrior » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:33 am

Hi I tried following these steps and I get following error.  I am new to all this php and joomla thingy.  Any help will be appreciated.  I tried looking it up on google but not anything helpful.  one of the post says it got resolved after reinstallation but I really want to know what did I do wrong.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------------------------------
Not Found

The requested URL /demosite/installation/index.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.55 (Win32) DAV/2 PHP/5.1.1 Server at localhost Port 80

-----------------------------------------------------
More information about my env.

I am using Joomla_1.0.0_to_1.0.11-Stable-Patch_Package which i downloaded yesterday.  I dont see a installation directory, not sure if I should see one or not.  Is there any other build of Joomla I should be using?? 

-----------------------------------------------------

Sorry for this dumb question...  :'(

UnseenWarrior
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by UnseenWarrior » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:38 am

Okay I think i found my problem i should be using this package Joomla_1.0.11-Stable-Full_Package.zip not the just the patch.. hihi..

Philosophy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

HTTP_REFERER is not localhost. but - error

Post by Philosophy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:01 pm

I'm following the tutorial twice now.  I get to the point of starting the mysql and this is the error I'm getting:
» Security Alert!
Possible Attack

HTTP_REFERER is not localhost. but ''.

To disable this warning go: /home/admin/www/cgi-bin/secure.pm
Now, when I just keep moving on and try to start PhpMyAdmin I get this error:
Error

MySQL said: Documentation
#2003 - The server is not responding
I've deleted everything and tried a fresh install following all the directions perfectly and this is what I get.

I downloaded the .zip file to my desktop and extracted it to C: (my main hard disk) so in C: I have a file that says \Uniform Server  --- Server start works fine and I see the server start up with the admin page.

Please give me some assistance on this.  I've searched all over and cannot find the answer.

Thank you

Philosophy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Philosophy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:13 pm

I have found this thread:  http://forum.uniformserver.com/index.php?showtopic=420

However I still get the error when I go to phpadmin to and try to add a database.

CoolThailand
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CoolThailand » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:24 am

Step 6: Open DB-Admin

Now we will start the DataBase administrator called phpMyAdmin.
We are going to do that because we want to create o0ur first database which we will later use for Joomla!
Just follow the instructions on the picture!
The address in your browser should state here: http://localhost/apanel/phpMyAdmin/
I encounter a problem when clicking the link http://localhost/apanel/phpMyAdmin/

The proclem is:
ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://localhost/apanel/phpMyAdmin/

The following error was encountered:

Connection Failed
The system returned:

(111) Connection refused

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

danceswithlife
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by danceswithlife » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:08 pm

Hey Philosophy,

Did youever get it fixed / working? Let me know.

Thanks
...we write documentation for extension developers.

jgiedt
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jgiedt » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:06 pm

I have followed the insturctions step by step, up to renaming the directory from www to demosite.  When I pull up the url "localhost/demosite", I'm getting a url not found error.

I've done this on two computers now and am getting the same problem.  What am I doing wrong?  Everything was clear and step-by-step.  Looking at the directory structures, it all looks good.  The W: drive looks great and is a mirror of the c:/uniform server directories.

Joomla! rocks and I'm very excited to get started.  Please help.- jg

KEVIN$
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KEVIN$ » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:58 pm

aarrgg...I can't get anything to work..  >:(
I want to get Joomla working on my computer sooo bad but after 8 hrs I still can't get any programs to work.
I tried XAMPP 3 times with no luck.
I have tried this method several times because the screen shots looked helpful but after trying it several times I'm getting really frustrated and I'm about ready to give up completely.
I know absolutely NOTHING about computer programming or CMS for that matter which is my biggest problem but I am determined to get Joomla working if someone will help..

I unzipped these files directly to my C:\ and it created a folder C:\Uniform Server which is where the start icons are located. When I click on the 'Server_Start' icon my computer gets a DOS error:

Out of environment space
Cannot find file '\redirect.html' (or one of its components).
Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

What's going on and how/where can I fix this???

Please help.

Kevin

1000-oaks
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by 1000-oaks » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:30 pm

After spending hours fighting with this and finding little in the FAQ, here are a few clarifications for the seemingly-comprehensive but NOT installation guide:

Step 10:
- I couldn't add a new user to the User Overview either (same error code several of you received), so to workaround I clicked on the edit symbol to the right of User "root".  From there you can change the username from "root" to "demo", then "save" being SURE YOU CLICK THE BOX that says create a new user and "KEEP THE OLD ONE".  This enabled me to create a new user name "demo".

Step 12:
- Be sure you download the Joomla "full package", not just a patch (as I did).
- Create a NEW folder in the "www" folder titled "demosite", then extract the "full package" to the "demosite" folder.  DO NOT overwrite the existing "www" folder files (if you do you won't be able to launch Uniform Server), nor should you rename the "www" folder "demosite", even though the guide appears to tell you to.

I still have a little bit of hair left, so there's hope...

1000-oaks
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by 1000-oaks » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:44 pm

- Step 19:
Took me about ten minutes to figure out which "installation" folder you need to rename to get things working; it's the one in the "demosite" folder.  Would have been nice if Joomla could have mentioned that for us non-PHP users.

Return to “FAQ Discussion Board”