This proves that it's NOT Joomla mis-generating ID numbers, but it's a user-permission/menu-settings issue. None of my read-more links have changed, but now they all work.
Propaganda wrote: The following topic made it all work for me:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... cseen.html
I followed the directions, and create a dummy new menu named 'hiddenmenu', and made sure I checked it was not published in the site modules list.
Next in the admin backend I went to: content > section manager.
For each section I did the following:
- clicked the section name
- copied the title towards from the title field towards the 'menu item name' field on the right
- selected the hiddenmenu item
- select the 'section list' from the drop down list options
- finally clicked the 'link to menu button.
Next closed this screen, and did the same for all the sections I had listed.
And now it finally works, I can be logged out from the website, and still click latest news items, or place links to topics on my website which are public on in emails....etc
Hope this helps people out a bit more.....it took me 3 days to find this sollution....
(Thanks stingrey for the sollution!!)