DISCUSSION: Anna's Joomla Tips

Discuss the FAQ's here, and get in touch with the FAQ Team.
kai920
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: DISCUSSION: Anna's Joomla Tips

Post by kai920 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:13 am

Coll,

Maybe this small and quick tutorial will shed some light on the "blogging" features:

http://www.joomlahacks.com/content/view/117/64/

lmontejo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: MiniDoc: Anna's Joomla Tips

Post by lmontejo » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:36 am

Hello,

I went to your doc after starting a new web page (I'm a beginner with this...) and I was specifically looking for ways to install banners such as weather.com or paypal on my left or right columns of my front page.

I am still at a loss, and after many tries, they always end up in the center or main area...

Can you help me? Are there tools that help you in this?

Leo
Thank God I'm an Atheist...

Jeb Ben Dawson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jeb Ben Dawson » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:35 am

Thank you Anna for all your great tips.

I admit it, I am a noobie at Joomla and at CMS's.
I got Joomla because I got hosting at http://www.siteground.com for my Media Wiki Wiki. SiteGround also has Joomla.

I was wondering, Is there a way that I can set things up with my Joomla installation so that my MediaWiki Wiki content will appear as content or in modules on my Joomla installation?

That is the reason I got the Joomla in the first place.

Thanks in advance!

JBD
Last edited by Jeb Ben Dawson on Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
Jeb Ben Dawson

EverythingWiki Joomla Portal

ssmayer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ssmayer » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:10 am

If you link to it using the Joomla wrapper, you can sure still use it. You may even create a template just for that particular wrapper, if you'd like. It's great how Joomla allows other applications to still meld seamlessly into itself via the wrapper idea.

Good Luck!
http://www.awhitehorse.com/
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

cranbo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cranbo » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:24 am

Anna's tips were very helpful, but...

I'm looking for a simple answer on one topic:

How do I upload a non-HTML document (such as a Word doc or a PDF file) into Joomla and create a link to the document? Can the non-HTML document be set as a content item itself?

Any clarification woudl be appreciated for a noob to Joomla like me.  :)

--cranbo

guilliam
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by guilliam » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:39 am

@cranbo,

you can check file managing components located on this thread:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,25317.0.html

my personal preference are docman and repository.

"Can the non-HTML document be set as a content item itself?" -> generally no, you have to copy paste it into contents, however for more advance fellows here they make "scripts" to automatate the process so that the contents are inserted into the mysql database.

however, if you have tons of ms word files, for a quickie start i guess you can live with exporting the ms word file into PDF then most browsers now when a pdf file is to be pulled will be shown directly into your browser.

- g
"I was one of those who wondered why people would pay so much $$$$ to do something that was so much fun!" -R. Harkrider, Fortran Code Engr.

http://www.joomlaconsultancy.net

jazztpt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jazztpt » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:51 pm

Hello all!

You are all so kind, and I am really happy that my tips have been helpful.  It's been a while since I was on the forums, so I want to respond to a comment from a while back.  I would love it if anyone wanted to add to the tips!  If they can be improved (and I'm sure they can), I'm all for it.

Good luck to all, and thank you for your kind words!
Yours,
Anna

Laney
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Laney » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:50 pm

There's one thing that I haven't been able to find out how to change... refer to the screen shot attached... How do I move the "latest news" and "popular" to below the welcome?

Although now I have a better idea of what I am doing, it's still hard to figure out what is what. Most of the time I don't even know what to search for.

thanks,

Elaine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

Joomlawebber
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Joomlawebber » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:46 pm

Laney wrote: There's one thing that I haven't been able to find out how to change... refer to the screen shot attached... How do I move the "latest news" and "popular" to below the welcome?

Although now I have a better idea of what I am doing, it's still hard to figure out what is what. Most of the time I don't even know what to search for.

thanks,

Elaine
Hi Elaine,
I can easely understand your question, but the answer is quite simple :)

The latest news and most popular are modules, and are called in that position by the templates index.php file.
Thats the way its build up.
If you want to put them underneath the welcome message, wich is part of the mainbody, you will have to re-arrange the positions in the templates index.php file.

I hope that helps a little.
/K
If there is a bird flue, what happened to the egg flue?

guilliam
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by guilliam » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:16 am

theres also a mambot in which you can insert a module right into the content area(mainbody). you might missed seeing that function in the joomla backend :)

its the "Load Module Positions" you can use/call it by this tag:

Code: Select all

{mosloadposition user1}

let say right on your wyswyg editor,.. you write:

blah blah blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah
blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah blah blah {mosloadposition user1}
blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah
blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah
where "user1" wil load the "user1" module position.. lets say you want to have the "top" module position loaded on that area.. just use:

{mosloadposition top}
easier this way... that is if youre not comfortable rearranging your template :) and playing around the index.php of the template of yours.

its right in the core of joomla 1.0.7(so no need to download anything, since its published by default), what version are you using btw?

visuals for this:

^^the {mosloadposition top} is highligted.. so you see where it is in the screenie i made.

looks like this in the front end:

- g
"I was one of those who wondered why people would pay so much $$$$ to do something that was so much fun!" -R. Harkrider, Fortran Code Engr.

srijit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by srijit » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:12 pm

^^ wow, that was there in joomla! all along?? how did i miss that?? thanks :)

guilliam
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by guilliam » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:26 pm

srijit wrote: ^^ wow, that was there in joomla! all along?? how did i miss that?? thanks :)
welcome!.. PASS IT FORWARD! :)

- g

MalcolmWalker
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MalcolmWalker » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:43 pm

In her introduction Anna wrote:

But speaking of the best tutorials, you should also go to this thread to see a list of other tutorials that have been written for Joomla:

A link doesn't follow this text.  Do we have the link somewhere else?

Malcolm
Malcolm Walker
Catching up!

MrMarco
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MrMarco » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:13 pm

MalcolmWalker wrote: In her introduction Anna wrote:

But speaking of the best tutorials, you should also go to this thread to see a list of other tutorials that have been written for Joomla:

A link doesn't follow this text.  Do we have the link somewhere else?

Malcolm
Malcolm - I noticed that also. But I thought I missed something (not new for me!).

I had a blog set up using WordPress and found it pretty easy to get up and running... even for an "code idiot" like me. It was building up pretty well and I noticed it couldn't handle what I wanted out of the site in the future. So I searched around and asked alot of questions and Joomla came up as the answer more than once.

I took a leap and installed Joomla and, as with most things, the learning curve is steeper than I expected. The interesting part is that as I learn more, the whole picture of Joomla starts to come together faster. Snowball affect.

My idea for the site is essentially an on line health resource, A-Z. Of course I will want to monetize the site and SEO as well. There seems to be some controversy as to how SEO friendly Joomla really is. I intend to have an immense amount of relevant content and hope that will be the driving force for the top 3 search engines.

While my idea of having such a variety of things on my site, mostly articles, but along with pics, vids, member interaction, forms, etc, I find the simplest things are getting me stuck in the mud... mostly re-designing the site with the links, colors and so forth that I THINK I need.

Anna, the simple tutorial you gave was extremely helpful for me in that I have a better idea, from a NOOB standpoint, what Joomla is about and how to navigate through things (well, sort of anyway... hehehe). You will certainly see me around asking boat loads of stupid questions AND soon I hope to be able to actually ANSWER someone else's questions and give back to the Joomla community as you guys have been doing.

Thanx,
Marco :)

p.s.
I've never been accused of being brief! LMAO
Complete online resource for living a long and healthy life.
www.health-bits.com

golgamesh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by golgamesh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:04 am

BRILLIANT - as other peeps have already said ... but one question still remains and I haven't found the answer yet.

So I want a module or whatever (in fact the simpleboard module Anna recommends). I have unzipped it on my PC at hiome. Now I must upload it .... but where to????? Which directory?

Yes, of course I am a newbie :)

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:55 am

To install a module, use the "Installers-Module" menu option inside of the Administrator backend.

You don't have to unzip the file...just select it and Joomla! will unzip and install.

Then, you can configure your new module and include it in your interface.

It's almost too simple! Good luck!

golgamesh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by golgamesh » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:58 pm

Wonderful all this! I had to train DT journalists to use computers when we went to new technology - and we had to remember to point out where the on button was! If you are writing for newbies assume NOTHING! And that is what Anna has done. My suggestion for an addition:

There are a lot of modules/components out there to choose and install if you want. Once you have chosen what you want, download the file to your PC. It is a ZIPped file containing all that is necessary for your new module/component. But don't worry - you don't have to unzip and install by hand - Joomla takes care of that for you. On the menus at the top you will see INSTALLERS.  You then click on what you want to install - module, component, mambot, template. You get taken to a new page which allows you to browse your own computer to find the zipped file - then you press the upload button and voila! Your new feature is installed. Most of the time.

Sometimes you may get "Installation failed - missing XML file" - that is the time to go to the forums and see what other people have said.

And sometimes there is a feature that needs a "bridge" to Joomla.

(Experts carry on here I';ve reached my edge of knowledge)

guilliam
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by guilliam » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:01 pm

@golgamesh,

im not exactly following.. are you stil lhaving problems installing something? :)

- g

srijit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by srijit » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:03 pm

It seems that he want this bit added to somewhere to Anna's Tips.
golgamesh wrote: There are a lot of modules/components out there to choose and install if you want. Once you have chosen what you want, download the file to your PC. It is a ZIPped file containing all that is necessary for your new module/component. But don't worry - you don't have to unzip and install by hand - Joomla takes care of that for you. On the menus at the top you will see INSTALLERS.  You then click on what you want to install - module, component, mambot, template. You get taken to a new page which allows you to browse your own computer to find the zipped file - then you press the upload button and voila! Your new feature is installed. Most of the time.

Sometimes you may get "Installation failed - missing XML file" - that is the time to go to the forums and see what other people have said.

And sometimes there is a feature that needs a "bridge" to Joomla.

golgamesh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by golgamesh » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:42 am

No - well yes ... ;)

I read that if you felt there was something worthwhile that could be added to Anna's tips - say so in the forum ... that is simply what I have done. A big THANKS both to Anna for her tips and you guys for answering so clearly (and so quickly) when I have found something I have not understood - clearly one of the great strengths of Joomla is the community that supports it through these forums.

Yes, I had a problem installing a GoogleAds module and found the answer through the forums.

Now I am turning my attention to galleries, and and am unclear about items such as Copper which appear to be stand alone items and need bridges  ??? - which was why I hoped an expert wd carry on where I left off  :)
Last edited by golgamesh on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

sickser
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sickser » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:45 am

Can someone lead me to a topic, or FAQ, on how to create a traditional blog, where users/public can add a new comment not just amend the previous ones.

Thanks,

New to Joomla! and thought this was the place to start!  ???

Last edited by sickser on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhoffman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mhoffman » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:30 am

Regarding the last paragraph in post 6. linking I would like to add that there is in fact a much easier way now: JCE with advplugin.
I just found this. This is really cool stuff!!!
http://www.cellardoor.za.net/jce/index. ... e&Itemid=1

rin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:25 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm rather new here. I have tried other CMS before but I have to say Joomla is the most fun to work with.

I have tried to read through Joomla tutorials and the tips available out there but they are either too simple or too complicated for me. Nothing is in between but maybe that's just me. And whenever I think I have read enough and say "OK here's how I add content, Content > Content by Section" etc. I keep getting lost somehow with Joomla simpleness and yet I still I need to grasp how it works. Sometimes when I finally figure out how some things work I'd say "Wait a minute I've read this a gazillion times before!".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
guilliam,

Your explanation on "Load Module Positions" is easy to understand - I wish there were more walkthroughs

like this. Anyway, what if there are 3 modules with the same position and I want only one module on the top

right corner of my site. For example, "Polls", "Who's Online" and "Random Image" are all the "right" module

position. If I put

<?php mosLoadModules('right'); ?> 
on top corner of my site, all three modules will load on that area when I only want "Random Image" there. Is there another way to get only one module there?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I have a few questions about blog and news which I don't know yet how to ask. I'm having a bit of a headache for reading too much. I have read the Administrator manual and the boards... BTW Does the user manual come in other than pdf?

Thank you.

sunsetonline
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sunsetonline » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:06 pm

rin wrote: on top corner of my site, all three modules will load on that area when I only want "Random Image" there. Is there another way to get only one module there?
In your administrator, go to Modules --> Site Modules.  Click the name of one of those modules that you don't want to appear on the particular page.  Now on the right side you'll see an area called "Pages/Items".  This lists which pages the module should appear on.  It's set to "All" by default.  What you'll need to do is (using Ctrl or Shift if you're on a PC, I don't know what if you're on a Mac) click the names of the specific pages you want the module to appear on, but leave the page you're referring to unselected

Now that module will only appear on the pages in the list you've selected, and it won't appear on the page you unselected.  Repeat for the other module you don't want to appear.

rin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rin » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:09 am

Hi sunsetonline,

Thank you for your reply. This means that the "right" module on my right will also have only one module. My fault, sorry my question wasn't clear enough. If I want all 3 of the "right" module on my right but only one of the modules on the top corner of my site, that cannot be done, right?

I hope someone can help me with the news module. From my experience playing around my Joomla site as a user, it seems that another user can post under the title of someone else's news. Is it possible to block someone else from posting under someone else's topic?

Or is there a tutorial other than the "User Manual" of what a module can or cannot do?

Thank you.

sunsetonline
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sunsetonline » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:03 pm

rin-
I'm not sure I understand what you're needing now.  It sounds like maybe you have a moduleposition called "right" with three modules assigned to it.  You want all three to appear in the "right" moduleposition on your site.  You also have a second moduleposition, maybe called "topcorner" or something, and you want one of those three to appear there as well?  So basically, you want to know how to have one module assigned to two different modulepositions?  Is this right?  If so, I'm not sure if there is a way to do that other than to create a copy/duplicate of that module, and assign the copy/duplicate to the "topcorner" moduleposition.  I've never copied/duplicated a module though, so I'm not sure what's involved with that.

deanoMed
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by deanoMed » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:55 am

Go to admin:
site > Preview > inline with positions this shows the location of each module position for a given template.
site > site template > module positions lists module positions as they are called up in template index.php , e.g. user3,top,left,right, etc.
modules  > site modules > select specific module > assign module position (i.e. left, right ,etc.) and what pages in which it appears. 
to learn from those who have trekked this path before me
cheers, deano

rin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rin » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:50 am

So basically, you want to know how to have one module assigned to two different modulepositions?
That's quite right. The moduleposition called "right" has 3 modules assigned to it. I'm thinking of having these 3 modules to appear on the right side of my site. But at the same time, I want only one of those modules (from the same group) to appear on the top corner of my site. If this is not possible then it's OK maybe I should find some other solutions.

deanoMed, thanks for the tip :)

t17169
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by t17169 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:09 pm

rin wrote:
So basically, you want to know how to have one module assigned to two different modulepositions?
That's quite right. The moduleposition called "right" has 3 modules assigned to it. I'm thinking of having these 3 modules to appear on the right side of my site. But at the same time, I want only one of those modules (from the same group) to appear on the top corner of my site. If this is not possible then it's OK maybe I should find some other solutions.

deanoMed, thanks for the tip :)
If I'm following correctly, then what I think you can do is to copy the module you want to place in the top corner.  Say, for instance, it's latestnews.  Open Module Manager, find the latest news mod, check the box beside it, look up at the top of the page for the option to copy it.  Do that and what appears is a new mod called Copy of LatestNews.  Open this copy, rename it to whatever you want to call it, choose the top corner in the drop down box for its position and on the right hand side, either assign the top corner mod to all pages or the one/s you want.

rin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rin » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:38 am

t17169,

;D That's it! Thank you so much!

Sorry for this belated reply. Haven't been able to really work on my site (the world cup...  ;))

Return to “FAQ Discussion Board”