HOW DO I CHANGE BANNERS?

Discuss the FAQ's here, and get in touch with the FAQ Team.
wanderlust300
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

HOW DO I CHANGE BANNERS?

Post by wanderlust300 » Sun May 21, 2006 1:40 am

hello all,

i'm new here and i have literally spent the entire afternoon looking through every single piece of documentation (including searching through the faq's here) for an answer to my question, all to no avail.  after hearing my question you may think me a total idiot - so be it, but please...please please PLEASE just answer it anyway.  i understand everything else i've read....THIS is what is keeping me from posting my site....

okay, so here goes....HOW DO I CHANGE THE BANNER ON MY SITE TO REFLECT MY SITE NAME, NOT THAT DEFAULT, "JOOMLA...BECAUSE OPEN SOURCE MATTERS" banner?

i have no idea where that file is located in the superadmin or how to change it....can someone PLEASE help?
  (sigh)....thank you...i'm very frustrated....

jxl
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: HOW DO I CHANGE BANNERS?

Post by jxl » Sun May 21, 2006 2:07 am

That is an image file in your template.

your_site/templates/rhuk_solarflare_ii/images/header_short.jpg

Make a new jpg file of the same dimensions (635 x 105 pixels) and file name name and replace the original one via ftp.

wanderlust300
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wanderlust300 » Sun May 21, 2006 2:20 am

(sigh) thank you so much for telling me that!!  ...but...can now you please explain to me how to replace it with ftp?  sorry...i've used ftp before, but in this context i have NO idea how to do it...

thank you in advance for your patience....

jxl
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jxl » Sun May 21, 2006 2:49 am

Sorry, I just looked at your first post and was reminded that you have not uploaded your site yet. So, if it is on your local machine, jsut go to the root folder of your joomla instalation and navigat to the /templates/rhuk_solarflare_ii/images/ folder. You will find the header_short.jpg file in there.

wanderlust300
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wanderlust300 » Sun May 21, 2006 2:58 am

:) i'm sorry, i should've been more specific....thank you again for your help and your patience - it is SO appreciated!!

i downloaded joomla through my web host's "fantastico" area, so i don't have any files on my hard drive, unfortunately....

to sign in i go to my "admin" panel & that's where i make changes....i don't see any ftp capabilities from there....and i did a search for that file through my admin panel but it came up with nothing...

i'm also on yahoo messenger, if that would be easier....thank you!!

jxl
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jxl » Sun May 21, 2006 3:30 am

Oh, OK. I suggest ftp instead of using the joomla functions. For this, you need an ftp client such as Filezilla which can be found at:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=416790
You will want the  FileZilla_2_2_23_setup.exe  file. 
-Unless you are on a Mac, in which case you  want something like CyberDuck, which can be found at:
http://cyberduck.ch/

to use these programs you will need to know your url, user name,  and password.  This will be the same username and password you used to log in to your control panel where you did the fantastico install, not the password for Joomla.

Once you have logged in you will probably go to public_html, then templates, then rhuk_solar_flare_ii, then images.  That's where the file will be. Drag your new header_short.jpg into there to overwrite the orignila one.

If installing a new ftp client program onto your computer is too much, you can accomplish the file transfer using the "File Manager" in your site control panel. Again, this is not the Joomla control panel, it's tho one that has Fantastico in it.

PS. sorry, I don't use any IM. Something to do with being frightened by a cat as a baby I think.
Last edited by jxl on Sun May 21, 2006 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

wanderlust300
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wanderlust300 » Sun May 21, 2006 3:43 am

if i could bake you a cake, i would.  instead i will just wish you many days filled with chocolate.

it worked.  (SIGH).  THANK YOU!!!!

as far as the im - i understand...it may have been the cat, yes.  they steal your breath.  maybe that's why i have 4 of them.

have a supercalifragilistic weekend!!!!!!

jxl
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jxl » Sun May 21, 2006 3:45 am

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
And I'm glad you got it worked out.

got2liv4him
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by got2liv4him » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:56 pm

I am also trying to replace the header image. I downloaded a template, called Haiko Ramblings (from rockettheme.com), and I cannot get the image to delete.  I tried like 20 times, using my server's file manager, and it won't delete or replace, or let me edit it.  What can I do, or is it a problem with my freebie template?

jxl
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jxl » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:55 pm

The server not letting you edit, delete, or replace files would not have anything to do with the particular template. Most likely, it is a permissions problem. Some wervers are set up so that if you use a script (like Joomla!) to edit or upload your files, the server sees the files as owned by the root administrator and not the site owner. (ie, the file owner is "nobody") In that case, you either have to use another script to delete or replace them (or change the owner back to yourself), or you have to get the hosting companny to do so.
Luckily, there is a joomla extension that you can use to do this so you don't have to write your own script. Look for
JoomlaXplorer.  You can find it at:
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

got2liv4him
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by got2liv4him » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:33 pm

thank-you! :)

I'll try that and see if it works.

wanderlust300
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wanderlust300 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:48 am

so i got the whole "changing banners" thing down on the default template, but now i'm creating a site for someone else and i switched to the other template that comes with joomla but it doesn't have the file header_short.jpg.....do you happen to know what the header file name on that one is?  it's the green template called, "madeyourweb."  help!

wanderlust300
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wanderlust300 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:55 am

by the way, jxl, i went to your site....are you the artist?!!??!?  i draw too...(sigh)....not...(cough)....quite...so well.  (sigh).  gifted artists like yourself (if you are, in fact, the artist) cause me pain.  :'(  :laugh:

jxl
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jxl » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:32 pm

Hi wonderlust, Yes, I did all the drawings.  my wife and I worked together on the site design and some of the logos. thanks for the compliments and - sorry to cause you pain  ;).

The Madeyourweb logo image is :
templates/madeyourweb/images/logo.gif

and the green header background image is:
templates/madeyourweb/images/back_verlauf.jpg

You can find these images by right-clicking on the image and choosing either "properties", or "view background image" (depending on whether the image is a background image or not)

wanderlust300
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wanderlust300 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:48 pm

(sigh)...yeah, i guess the whole right-clicking & checking properties makes sense, which is probably why i didn't think of it....it's far too hot here for sense-making.  (grin)...thank you for the help - again!  and as far as your artwork....amazing....kudos to you and your wife!

parajoonla
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by parajoonla » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:29 pm

Hello to all.
I removed banners by accident from joomla.
How can I install it back?

Please help me out with this, I going crazy trying to find the answer.
I'm trying to reinstall "banner component" back.

Thank you in advance.

Return to “FAQ Discussion Board”