Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Discuss the FAQ's here, and get in touch with the FAQ Team.
Locked
mallory885
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 pm

Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by mallory885 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:09 pm

I have read everything and yes mod_rewrite is enabled and have checked all the other things and still does not work...
I have checked all these things

1) You must run Apache
2) You must have mod_rewrite enabled
3) Your server must allow .htaccess override
4) Set $mosConfig_sef= "1" in configuration.php
5) Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess

Still errors of 404

any ideas

thanks

TM

mallory885
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 pm

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by mallory885 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:04 pm

OK i have triple checked now and got OpenSEF and it dont work... could this be the code in my .htaccess file...
please help...

thanks
TM

webgyrl
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Planet Earth Most of the Time

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by webgyrl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:37 am

I'm having the same problem  ???

I can not get it to work at all, and I really need it to work!
Always learning...

mallory885
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 pm

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by mallory885 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:45 am

I finally got mine to work and it had to do with the htaccess file... the original one in the install did not work for me...

this is my htaccess that worked

##
# @version $Id: htaccess.txt 1570 2005-12-29 05:53:33Z eddieajau $
# @package Joomla
# @copyright Copyright (C) 2005 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
# @license http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU/GPL
# Joomla! is Free Software
##

Options +FollowSymLinks

#
#  mod_rewrite in use
#

RewriteEngine On

##
## NOTE!
## When using multiple Joomla sites or other web applications in sub-folders,
## you must explicitly turn the RewriteEngine off or use the settings
## recommended for the application
##

#  Uncomment following line if your webserver's URL
#  is not directly related to physical file paths.
#  Update YourJoomlaDirectory (just / for root)

# RewriteBase /YourJoomlaDirectory

#
#  Rules
#

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|css|js|pl|txt)$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php

webgyrl
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Planet Earth Most of the Time

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by webgyrl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:49 am

So when you put in the above data into the .htaccess file and then went to Global Config and turned on SEF URLs, it worked?
Always learning...

mallory885
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 pm

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by mallory885 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:54 am

Yes that is correct... but also check the other things out... like mod_rewrite etc. etc. there is a list of pointers  for you to make sure your server is set correctly... do a search on search engine friendly urls and you should find it

Thanks

webgyrl
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Planet Earth Most of the Time

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by webgyrl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:57 am

Mallory! Yes, thank you. I did do all the steps in the SEF FAQ a while ago and it did not work (see post here). I have been very stumped on the whole thing.

I will try what you did.

Also, did you see this post on the .htaccess file being renamed?
Always learning...

mallory885
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 pm

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by mallory885 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:01 am

I dont think the order in which you do it matters... but yes the htaccess.txt must be renamed to just htaccess

Thanks

Mallory

webgyrl
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Planet Earth Most of the Time

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by webgyrl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:02 am

mallory885 wrote: OK i have triple checked now and got OpenSEF and it dont work... could this be the code in my .htaccess file...
please help...

thanks
TM
TM,

What is OpenSEF? Where can I get that?
Always learning...

webgyrl
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Planet Earth Most of the Time

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by webgyrl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:04 am

mallory885 wrote: I dont think the order in which you do it matters... but yes the htaccess.txt must be renamed to just htaccess

Thanks

Mallory
What's weird for me is that I do not have an htaccess.txt at all. All I have is a regular .htaccess file.
Someone suggested re-aming the .htaccess file to htaccess.txt, then enabling SEF URL's and then renaming it back to .htaccess.

I have a few things I must try.
Always learning...

webgyrl
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Planet Earth Most of the Time

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by webgyrl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:06 am

TM,

Is this what your original htaccess file looked like?:

Code: Select all

##
# @version $Id: htaccess.txt 4085 2006-06-21 16:03:54Z stingrey $
# @package Joomla
# @copyright Copyright (C) 2005 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
# @license http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU/GPL
# Joomla! is Free Software
##


#####################################################
#  READ THIS COMPLETELY IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THIS FILE
#
# The line just below this section: 'Options FollowSymLinks' may cause problems
# with some server configurations.  It is required for use of mod_rewrite, but may already
# be set by your server administrator in a way that dissallows changing it in
# your .htaccess file.  If using it causes your server to error out, comment it out (add # to 
# beginning of line), reload your site in your browser and test your sef url's.  If they work,
# it has been set by your server administrator and you do not need it set here. 
#
# Only use one of the two SEF sections that follow.  Lines that can be uncommented
# (and thus used) have only one #.  Lines with two #'s should not be uncommented
# In the section that you don't use, all lines should start with #
#
# For Standard SEF, use the standard SEF section.  You can comment out
# all of the RewriteCond lines and reduce your server's load if you
# don't have directories in your root named 'component' or 'content'
#
# If you are using a 3rd Party SEF or the Core SEF solution
# uncomment all of the lines in the '3rd Party or Core SEF' section
#
#####################################################

#####  SOLVING PROBLEMS WITH COMPONENT URL's that don't work #####
# SPECIAL NOTE FOR SMF USERS WHEN SMF IS INTEGRATED AND BRIDGED
# OR ANY SITUATION WHERE A COMPONENT's URL's AREN't WORKING
#
# In both the 'Standard SEF', and '3rd Party or Core SEF' sections the line:
# RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
# May need to be uncommented.  If you are running your Joomla/Mambo from
# a subdirectory the name of the subdirectory will need to be inserted into this
# line.  For example, if your Joomla/Mambo is in a subdirectory called '/test/',
# change this:
# RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
# to this:
# RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/test/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
#
#####################################################


##  Can be commented out if causes errors, see notes above.
# Options FollowSymLinks

#
#  mod_rewrite in use

#RewriteEngine On


#  Uncomment following line if your webserver's URL
#  is not directly related to physical file paths.
#  Update Your Joomla/MamboDirectory (just / for root)

#RewriteBase /


########## Begin - Joomla! core SEF Section
############# Use this section if using ONLY Joomla! core SEF
## ALL (RewriteCond) lines in this section are only required if you actually
## have directories named 'content' or 'component' on your server
## If you do not have directories with these names, comment them out.
#
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] 		##optional - see notes##
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$  [NC]
#RewriteRule ^(content/|component/) index.php
#
########## End - Joomla! core SEF Section



########## Begin - 3rd Party SEF Section
############# Use this section if you are using a 3rd party (Non Joomla! core) SEF extension - e.g. OpenSEF, 404_SEF, 404SEFx, SEF Advance, etc
#
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] 		##optional - see notes##
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$  [NC]
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
#RewriteRule (.*) index.php
#
########## End - 3rd Party SEF Section
Always learning...

mallory885
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 pm

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by mallory885 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:12 am

Yes that looks like the one that did not work for me

TM

webgyrl
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Planet Earth Most of the Time

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by webgyrl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:20 am

OK, cool. I will try to replace it.

What do your URL's look like now?

Any way I could see your site? I just want to know how 'friendly' the URLS are.

Thanks
Always learning...

mallory885
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 pm

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by mallory885 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:25 am

the one i got it to work on is
http://www.surfaceskinspa.com... i used OpenSef with it

Thanks

TM

webgyrl
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Planet Earth Most of the Time

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by webgyrl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:30 am

That's exactly what I need!

So did you install the OpenSEF first and then change the .htaccess file?

And you got the install files from http://www.open-sef.org/?

The site you did looks wonderful BTW. Great work!
Always learning...

webgyrl
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Planet Earth Most of the Time

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by webgyrl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:33 am

TM,

Sorry to keep bothering you! I am just eager to do this right.

Which zip file did you download from the files page?
http://forge.joomla.org/sf/go/projects. ... _2_0_0_rc5

There are 3 choices
1.) joomla_com_opensef_2.0.0-RC5_SP1_to_SP2.zip
2.) joomla_com_opensef_2.0.0-RC5_to_RC5_SP1.zip
3.) joomla_com_opensef_2.0.0-RC5_SP2.zip

Not sure which one is the full install package.
Always learning...

mallory885
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 pm

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by mallory885 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:56 am

thanks
i got" joomla_com_opensef_2.0.0-RC5_SP2" is the file name

I first got the sef to work without the OpenSef then i installed OpenSef and it worked

Hope this helps

Thanks

webgyrl
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Planet Earth Most of the Time

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by webgyrl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:59 am

mallory885 wrote: thanks
i got" joomla_com_opensef_2.0.0-RC5_SP2" is the file name

I first got the sef to work without the OpenSef then i installed OpenSef and it worked

Hope this helps

Thanks





TM,

Thanks to your .htaccess info I got the regular Joomla SEF function to work. Now I want to make them prettier like yours using OpenSEF. I am downloading the zip file now and will see how the install goes.

Thank you so much for your help! I was stumped for weeks on this! You saved the day!  :D
Always learning...

onlinecraft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:17 am

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by onlinecraft » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:02 pm

:D

Glad I found this thread.Thanks for the .htaccess you posted, works a treat

mabdelaziz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Alexandria, Egypt
Contact:

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by mabdelaziz » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:06 am

Thank you very much, mallory885
Your .htaccess worked for me.
Joomla extensions, tutorials and blogs
https://www.joomreem.com

Custom development is available.
Mohamed Abdelaziz

matt4
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: London, UK & Brussels, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by matt4 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:37 pm

Thanks for your .htaccess it worked for me!  :)

How do you install this openSEF now? It has no manuals  :o

fendy
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by fendy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:03 pm

webgyrl wrote: TM,

Is this what your original htaccess file looked like?:

Code: Select all

##
# @version $Id: htaccess.txt 4085 2006-06-21 16:03:54Z stingrey $
# @package Joomla
# @copyright Copyright (C) 2005 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
# @license http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU/GPL
# Joomla! is Free Software
##


#####################################################
#  READ THIS COMPLETELY IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THIS FILE
#
# The line just below this section: 'Options FollowSymLinks' may cause problems
# with some server configurations.  It is required for use of mod_rewrite, but may already
# be set by your server administrator in a way that dissallows changing it in
# your .htaccess file.  If using it causes your server to error out, comment it out (add # to 
# beginning of line), reload your site in your browser and test your sef url's.  If they work,
# it has been set by your server administrator and you do not need it set here. 
#
# Only use one of the two SEF sections that follow.  Lines that can be uncommented
# (and thus used) have only one #.  Lines with two #'s should not be uncommented
# In the section that you don't use, all lines should start with #
#
# For Standard SEF, use the standard SEF section.  You can comment out
# all of the RewriteCond lines and reduce your server's load if you
# don't have directories in your root named 'component' or 'content'
#
# If you are using a 3rd Party SEF or the Core SEF solution
# uncomment all of the lines in the '3rd Party or Core SEF' section
#
#####################################################

#####  SOLVING PROBLEMS WITH COMPONENT URL's that don't work #####
# SPECIAL NOTE FOR SMF USERS WHEN SMF IS INTEGRATED AND BRIDGED
# OR ANY SITUATION WHERE A COMPONENT's URL's AREN't WORKING
#
# In both the 'Standard SEF', and '3rd Party or Core SEF' sections the line:
# RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
# May need to be uncommented.  If you are running your Joomla/Mambo from
# a subdirectory the name of the subdirectory will need to be inserted into this
# line.  For example, if your Joomla/Mambo is in a subdirectory called '/test/',
# change this:
# RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
# to this:
# RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/test/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
#
#####################################################


##  Can be commented out if causes errors, see notes above.
# Options FollowSymLinks

#
#  mod_rewrite in use

#RewriteEngine On


#  Uncomment following line if your webserver's URL
#  is not directly related to physical file paths.
#  Update Your Joomla/MamboDirectory (just / for root)

#RewriteBase /


########## Begin - Joomla! core SEF Section
############# Use this section if using ONLY Joomla! core SEF
## ALL (RewriteCond) lines in this section are only required if you actually
## have directories named 'content' or 'component' on your server
## If you do not have directories with these names, comment them out.
#
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] 		##optional - see notes##
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$  [NC]
#RewriteRule ^(content/|component/) index.php
#
########## End - Joomla! core SEF Section



########## Begin - 3rd Party SEF Section
############# Use this section if you are using a 3rd party (Non Joomla! core) SEF extension - e.g. OpenSEF, 404_SEF, 404SEFx, SEF Advance, etc
#
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] 		##optional - see notes##
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$  [NC]
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
#RewriteRule (.*) index.php
#
########## End - 3rd Party SEF Section
I think you can leave this one that comes with the latest release just uncomment all the lines in open sef 3rd party section of htaccess

that fixed things for me

and install buggy open sef
Professional SEO Search Engine Optimization Los Angeles and Web Design - Joomla. Drupal, Geeklog
http://www.seoandwebdesign.com
http://www.renoseowebdesign.com

User avatar
dansaintandre
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by dansaintandre » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:38 pm

mallory885 wrote: I finally got mine to work and it had to do with the htaccess file... the original one in the install did not work for me...

... file content removed for brevity ...
Did you use the built-in SEF module or something else?  This thread refers to OpenSEF.
Did you require OpenSEF or other extension to get things working? 

Thanks,
~~~ Dan 0;-/

Paul.G
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: Search Friendly URLs - Not working

Post by Paul.G » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:40 pm

mallory885 your a star,
I have been trawling google and the forums trying to get either Joomsef or Open sef working for the last week with no sucsess, but you .htaccess has also sorted me out.
Thanks
Thanks
Thanks

Paul


Locked

Return to “FAQ Discussion Board”