DISCUSSION - How to set up/install Joomla on Win XP for local testing

Discuss the FAQ's here, and get in touch with the FAQ Team.
2buckets
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: DISCUSSION - How to set up/install Joomla on Win XP for local testing

Post by 2buckets » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:00 pm

Great article! Is was easy to get Joomla up and running with Wamp. The only mistake I made was not creating a Joomla folder in www. I had the site looking almost the way I wanted it last night but found the site offline this morning. I was unable to log in so Joomla and wamp were both dumped and re loaded after making a backup of the existing data base.
Now for my question.....  Is it possible to overwrite the new database with the backup so that all the work from yesterday isn't lost?
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:31 pm

Hi 2buckets ;)

Using the old database should be pretty straight forward. If you made a copy of the databse from within WAMP's data folder simply overwrite the new one with the one you backed up.

If you backed up the databse from within phpMyAdmin it might be a bit trickier. It'll all hinge on whether you created an "INSERT" or "UPDATE" type sql script. If you did then you should be able to update the new database with the old data just by running the SQL. If not - it's doable but you may have to hand edit the SQL file.

If you get stuck on any of this PM me and I'll guide you through it.

All the best,

Haaris
http://www.bulletprooftemplates.com/ - Joomla Templates and Consultancy

2buckets
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 2buckets » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:00 pm

Thanks for the reply Haaris, but I suppose it's redundant now.  :D I've already made all the needed changes and am nearly ready to put the site on line.

I'm moving an existing pure .css driven site to Joomla and it was actually pretty easy to get things looking right, thanks to your tutorial. In the last month or so, I've moved a Mambo site over, created a new Joomla site and now am converting one to Joomla. I love this CMS and the support available in the forums!

Now I'm off to search for the right way to get this site on line. :)

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:06 pm

hey 2b :)

Glad you got everything working. May I ask what you mean by
Now I'm off to search for the right way to get this site on line.
?

If you mean you need to know how to get the site from your localhost to your webserver then just read a wee bit earlier in this thread - I already covered that ;)

If you mean that you're just looking for general advice about putting a Joomla site online you'd be well servered having a read through Compass' site

Best of luck,

Haaris

2buckets
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 2buckets » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:17 am

I just meant that I wanted to get the proper steps in order to get it back on the web. :-[ 
Now I have those down pat but for some reason Fantastico gives me errors after installation on that domain. I dumped, from the server, all existing files from the css site and then dumped the folder when it didn't work the first time. Re created the folder and used Fantastico again to install Joomla but still got errors. Checked .fantasticodata as well as .installed_in_root for instances of the install and edited to erase any info.
I'm going to try a manual install of Joomla tonight and see how that works.

migchao1967
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by migchao1967 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:34 pm

I got to the install2.php a blank page appears then after that I entered my site name and then at install4.php I got "database details are incorrect ..."
What should I re-check?
Thanks,

migchao1967
at yahoo.com

jeff2006
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jeff2006 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:40 pm

Joomla is not compatible with mysql 5.0 for XP?

My laptop install attempt with the latest versions of php/mysql/joomla dies on the installation pre-check  screen - mysql unavailable. Yet I can access php/Mysql from the command line and paths seem correct. Im using badblue as a webserver. This does not appear to be an issue but what the heck do I know  :) Session save path is unwriteable. Not set.

Using Joomla 1.0.11
Badblue 2.7
Mysql 5.0.24.a 32bit
Winxp 5.1 SP2
Php 5.1.6 win32

Ive checked lots of other stuff ...including the mysqli library changes in the other threads on this... no luck so far. Still digging

I opened up a c prompt, typed in ''mysql_connect'' (without the quote marks) and got back the message mysql_connect is not recognized as an internal or external command. So I typed ''mysql" mysql returned ''welcome to the mysql monitor.'' I'm assuming there is something going on with my joomla/mysql validation I don't understand but I should be able to check this at the command prompt. Yes or no? Syntax prob?

Thanks for any ideas
Last edited by jeff2006 on Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:11 am

Hi Jeff,

Don't know much about badblue I'm afraid but Joomla definitely works with MySQL5.0 (I have mySQL 5.0 running on my wamp installation and everything works well).

Haaris

jeff2006
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jeff2006 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:46 am

Ah, good to know.

I actually did a php/mysq/phpbb on some version of server (advanced I think) about two months ago and after a lot of grief found backing up a few versions of mysql worked...scanning the boards was fantastic help cuz there were a couple good tips in there. Anyway, when I saw the post above in this thread that questioned ver 5.0 mysql I got worried.

We have joomla working on versions of server but not on my laptop xp, which of course is the exercise of this whole thread.

So to get to the meat, since im not much smart on php/mysql ...i'm thinking i should be able to do a mysq or php command that does the same thing as the install test at joomla....and then track what the heck the problem is from that only im drilling deeper. This should not be a prob exclusive to badblue or any small server program ...correct? I'm trying to figure out how to do the joomla test from a command line, but like i said ...dumb  :)

Oh i know i can just try wamp...i think i will try that tomorrow.. but thats like throwing fertilizer on the crop when the real problem is water lol ... so ....something seems wonky.

---------------------------------------------------

Heres an UPDATE to the above:

I installed Wamp/etc according to the instructions here:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,25954.0.html

and the joomla tests were fine!!!!! Excellent!!!! Wonderful!!! (the crowd goes wild!!!!!). Following that, the mysql part of the joomla install didnt work so hot (incorrect user or password error message). So I uninstalled my original mysql (Wamp comes with its own) and still got the same error. But a line on mysql here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/ ... sions.html

cleared that up. Maybe something left over from the first attempt. If you have to do this make sure sure you follow the paths properly. Speaking of that, I still think that's my original problem with badblue - paths or default directories. But since Wamp is working Im moving forward.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by jeff2006 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VictoriaB
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by VictoriaB » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:50 pm

Hi,

New to Joomla so just downloaded and installed it locally via the WAMP method. All done and dusted in 5 minutes. Worked a charm.

Hats off and a large thank you for this article.

;D

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:32 pm

You're welcome Victoria :)

As I've mentioned previously I'm just chuffed to bits that my wee tutorial is still helping people out.

Haaris

ganidex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: FAQ - How to set up/install Joomla on Win XP for local testing

Post by ganidex » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:01 pm

Dear all,
I got exactly the same problem. I cannot go any further then step 2 the page won't display, stopped IIS, checked on services and none of them (apache, sql) were in the list. I'm trying to run this on a Win Vista pc... in theory is the same as XP right?

I'm curious why this won't work... :S

Anyone who can give me a hint on unrevelling this mistery? :)

Thanx to all
anshell wrote: Dear Haaris,
I was trying to install Joomla on my WinXp and I'm new at this. I was following your instructions in thread http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,25954.0.html (Mini Tutorial for Noobies) and I got stuck at the step "open a browser window and go to http://localhost/joomla" - this page does not open. Please help me!
Sincerely,
anshell

ganidex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ganidex » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:15 pm

I went into C:\wamp and started the services manually and  Now its comming with this :

Warning: require_once(C:\wamp\www\Joomla/includes/defines.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\wamp\www\Joomla\index.php on line 17

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'C:\wamp\www\Joomla/includes/defines.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in C:\wamp\www\Joomla\index.php on line 17

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:53 am

hey ganidex,

In your configuration.php file instead of back slashes (ie C:\") try forward slashes (ie C:/")

Hope this helps

Haaris

ganidex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ganidex » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:38 pm

I had figurited out what was the problem... thanx to all anyway... something as easy of unzipping it was overwritting some files.... insted of just extracting them... .therefore was not working now it went smooth... grtzz

Haaris,

I think I'm doing something wrong... I had decided now to get into my laptop with XP on it to do this... since in the Vista box it won't launch the services... 

On the xp machine I can manage localhost to appear but the localhost/joomla won;t load... I attached u the info that comes on the local host here below...  thanx to all :)

Version 1.6.5 - version française Server Configuration
Apache version :Apache/2.0.59 (Win32)  PHP version :5.1.6 Loaded extensions :
bcmath, calendar, com_dotnet, ctype, date, ftp, hash, iconv, odbc, pcre, Reflection, session, libxml, standard, tokenizer, zlib, SimpleXML, dom, SPL, wddx, xml, xmlreader, xmlwriter, apache2handler, mbstring, mysql, mysqli, PDO, pdo_sqlite, SQLite  MySQL version :5.0.24a-community-ntTools
phpinfo( )PHPmyadmin 2.8.2.4SQLitemanager 1.2.0Your projects
joomla

Your aliases
phpmyadmin sqlitemanager

haaris wrote: hey ganidex,

In your configuration.php file instead of back slashes (ie C:\") try forward slashes (ie C:/")

Hope this helps

Haaris
Last edited by ganidex on Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ganidex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ganidex » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:52 pm

Dear all,

Again on the XP I had saved configuration.php.dist as php only and it comes with the same error that cannot open this files...
Warning: require_once(includes/joomla.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\wamp\www\joomla\index.php on line 26

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/joomla.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in C:\wamp\www\joomla\index.php on line 26

The server seems to be ok but the Joomla I'm not sure I got the right package http://forge.joomla.org/sf/frs/do/downl ... 0583C?dl=1

Can someone give me a hand on this... Please ... I dunno what am I doing wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!

haaris wrote: hey ganidex,

Hope this helps

Haaris
Last edited by ganidex on Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gossops
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Gossops » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:31 pm

Haaris - you are my hero.

I am totally new to all of this, though we use a CMS at work.

I installed locally to see whether Joomla was what I needed and wanted (stupid question!!) and your tutorial was perfect (though Skype nicked port 80 on my PC, stopping Apache from running properly the first time round).

Having played with Joomla for a day or so, I decided to go for it on the live site, followed the later tutorial about migrating a test site to a live server and bingo.

I think I'm going to enjoy this forum!

Thanks again for all the help.  :)

Gossops

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:53 pm

You're welcome Gossops :)

Ps welcome to the wonderful world of Joomla - this really is a community in the true sense of the word (you'll find that out for yourself sooner rather than later I'd imagine :) )

Haaris

rackwe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rackwe » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:02 pm

Thank you Haaris. Your excellent tutorial is still helping newbies. I must admit that most of the stuff I read on this forum reads like a foreign language to me. Yesterday I followed your tutorial and as you stated at the end-----Voila!! I got a page up and it looked like I was on my way to learning. I even got to the Administrators page.  But since I didn’t know what to do next, I closed the page and started searching for tutorials, etc. Later I shut down my computer. Today I booted up and opened a Firefox browser and typed in http://localhost/joomla. I got an Alert pop up that said “The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost”. I tried then with an Internet Explorer browser and a Netscape browser. Same pop up. I intend next to remove all that I installed and start over, but before I do, I thought I would ask. Is there a fix for this?

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:48 pm

Hi Rackwe,

All that's happened is you've forgotten to start up wamp again when you switched on your computer. You need to run wamp before localhost will show up in your browser.

:)

Haaris

rackwe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rackwe » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:39 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you Haaris. I'm back up running and doing. I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm having a good time doing it. Now I'm off to look for more tutorials. Thanks again Haaris. As the younguns would say, "You rock".
rackwe

lukeprog
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lukeprog » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:40 pm

Your excellent tutorial worked for the Joomla 1.5 Beta, but I uninstalled it because I wanted to be able to use a bunch of tutorials written for 1.0.x. I deleted all the files in /www/ and copied over the Joomla 1.0.x files instead, then started your installation process again. But when I get to step 2, I get "Looks like there have been some errors with inserting data into your database!
You cannot continue." Here's the error log. What gives?

Code: Select all

SQL=Table \'jos_banner\' already exists SQL=# $Id: joomla.sql 677 2005-10-27 02:13:29Z spacemonkey $\n\n# Table structure for table `jos_banner`\n\nCREATE TABLE `jos_banner` (\n  `bid` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,\n  `cid` int(11) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `type` varchar(10) NOT NULL default \'banner\',\n  `name` varchar(50) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `imptotal` int(11) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `impmade` int(11) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `clicks` int(11) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `imageurl` varchar(100) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `clickurl` varchar(200) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `date` datetime default NULL,\n  `showBanner` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `checked_out` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `checked_out_time` datetime NOT NULL default \'0000-00-00 00:00:00\',\n  `editor` varchar(50) default NULL,\n  `custombannercode` text,\n  PRIMARY KEY  (`bid`),\n  KEY `viewbanner` (`showBanner`)\n) TYPE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=1:
- - - - - - - - - -
# $Id: joomla.sql 677 2005-10-27 02:13:29Z spacemonkey $

# Table structure for table `#__banner`

CREATE TABLE `#__banner` (
  `bid` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `cid` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `type` varchar(10) NOT NULL default 'banner',
  `name` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
  `imptotal` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `impmade` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `clicks` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `imageurl` varchar(100) NOT NULL default '',
  `clickurl` varchar(200) NOT NULL default '',
  `date` datetime default NULL,
  `showBanner` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  `checked_out` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  `checked_out_time` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
  `editor` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `custombannercode` text,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`bid`),
  KEY `viewbanner` (`showBanner`)
) TYPE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=1
= = = = = = = = = =

SQL=Table \'jos_bannerclient\' already exists SQL=# Table structure for table `jos_bannerclient`\n\nCREATE TABLE `jos_bannerclient` (\n  `cid` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,\n  `name` varchar(60) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `contact` varchar(60) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `email` varchar(60) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `extrainfo` text NOT NULL,\n  `checked_out` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `checked_out_time` time default NULL,\n  `editor` varchar(50) default NULL,\n  PRIMARY KEY  (`cid`)\n) TYPE=MyISAM:
- - - - - - - - - -
# Table structure for table `#__bannerclient`

CREATE TABLE `#__bannerclient` (
  `cid` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `name` varchar(60) NOT NULL default '',
  `contact` varchar(60) NOT NULL default '',
  `email` varchar(60) NOT NULL default '',
  `extrainfo` text NOT NULL,
  `checked_out` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  `checked_out_time` time default NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`cid`)
) TYPE=MyISAM
= = = = = = = = = =

SQL=Table \'jos_bannerfinish\' already exists SQL=# Table structure for table `jos_bannerfinish`\n\nCREATE TABLE `jos_bannerfinish` (\n  `bid` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,\n  `cid` int(11) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `type` varchar(10) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `name` varchar(50) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `impressions` int(11) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `clicks` int(11) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `imageurl` varchar(50) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `datestart` datetime default NULL,\n  `dateend` datetime default NULL,\n  PRIMARY KEY  (`bid`)\n) TYPE=MyISAM:
- - - - - - - - - -
# Table structure for table `#__bannerfinish`

CREATE TABLE `#__bannerfinish` (
  `bid` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `cid` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `type` varchar(10) NOT NULL default '',
  `impressions` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `clicks` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `imageurl` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
  `datestart` datetime default NULL,
  `dateend` datetime default NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`bid`)
) TYPE=MyISAM
= = = = = = = = = =

SQL=Table \'jos_categories\' already exists SQL=# Table structure for table `jos_categories`\n\nCREATE TABLE `jos_categories` (\n  `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,\n  `parent_id` int(11) NOT NULL default 0,\n  `title` varchar(50) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `image` varchar(100) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `section` varchar(50) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `image_position` varchar(10) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `description` text NOT NULL,\n  `published` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `checked_out` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `checked_out_time` datetime NOT NULL default \'0000-00-00 00:00:00\',\n  `editor` varchar(50) default NULL,\n  `ordering` int(11) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `access` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `count` int(11) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `params` text NOT NULL,\n  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`),\n  KEY `cat_idx` (`section`,`published`,`access`),\n  KEY `idx_section` (`section`),\n  KEY `idx_access` (`access`),\n  KEY `idx_checkout` (`checked_out`)\n) TYPE=MyISAM:
- - - - - - - - - -
# Table structure for table `#__categories`

CREATE TABLE `#__categories` (
  `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `parent_id` int(11) NOT NULL default 0,
  `title` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
  `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
  `image` varchar(100) NOT NULL default '',
  `section` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
  `image_position` varchar(10) NOT NULL default '',
  `description` text NOT NULL,
  `published` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  `checked_out` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `checked_out_time` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
  `ordering` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `access` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `count` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `params` text NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`),
  KEY `cat_idx` (`section`,`published`,`access`),
  KEY `idx_section` (`section`),
  KEY `idx_access` (`access`),
  KEY `idx_checkout` (`checked_out`)
) TYPE=MyISAM
= = = = = = = = = =

SQL=Table \'jos_components\' already exists SQL=# Table structure for table `jos_components`\n\nCREATE TABLE `jos_components` (\n  `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,\n  `name` varchar(50) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `link` varchar(255) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `menuid` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `parent` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `admin_menu_link` varchar(255) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `admin_menu_alt` varchar(255) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `option` varchar(50) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `ordering` int(11) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `admin_menu_img` varchar(255) NOT NULL default \'\',\n  `iscore` tinyint(4) NOT NULL default \'0\',\n  `params` text NOT NULL,\n  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`)\n) TYPE=MyISAM:
- - - - - - - - - -
# Table structure for table `#__components`

CREATE TABLE `#__components` (
  `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `link` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
  `menuid` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `parent` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `admin_menu_link` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
  `admin_menu_alt` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
  `option` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
  `ordering` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `admin_menu_img` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
  `iscore` tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '0',
  `params` text NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`)
) TYPE=MyISAM
= = = = = = = = = =

That wasn't the whole message, but the whole message exceeded the forum character limit.

DeanMarshall
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by DeanMarshall » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:00 pm

Hi,

I suspect you should have cleared the database too before
installing - or ticked the drop tables option.

You are essentially trying to install tables with the same name
as the first installation's tables into the same database, and you
can't do that.

Dean
Dean Marshall Consultancy - six Joomla experts - http://www.deanmarshall.co.uk/

Joomla Experts - Joomla Support http://www.deanmarshall.co.uk/joomla-se ... pport.html

lukeprog
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lukeprog » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:12 pm

Drop Tables worked.

Awesome! Thanks for your prompt and knowledgeable reply!

rackwe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rackwe » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:50 pm

A Question About Joomla Cache

I am running Joolma on Windows XP using the local machine setup. Everything seems to be running well except something , Joomla, Windows or the browser (Firefox and Netscape) has  put the template in a cache somewhere and I can’t find out how to get it out. I made an image.png for the header on the template. It came up and all was as expected. Then I changed the graphic with a graphics program but kept the file name image.png and saved it where the first one was stored. It just wrote over the file. I can see by the thumbnail that the changed file is there, but when I run Joomla, the program pulls up the template (or something) from a cache or temp file folder somewhere and displays  the original image.png. I have tried closing the browsers, shutting off the computer and run disk clean to clear out all not needed files, but to no avail. The first image is locked in somewhere and I don’t know where.
Would it hurt anything if I cleared out the cache folder in the Joomla directory?

Sorry all, please forget everything after "A Question ------". I was able to find and clear the disk cache on both browsers. This fixed my problem. My new image now comes up.  :-[
Last edited by rackwe on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lotti
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lotti » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:49 pm

Hi,

Thank you so much for this tutorial, it's really great and you have stopped me wanting to jump out of a window!!!!

I have it all set up but have one problem.  When I start it running and click on Admin - I don't know which password/username to give, I've tried every combination but none work - which username/password should this be?  :-*

Thanks

Lottie

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:18 pm

If you followed the steps of the tutorial you should have set up admin and admin as the username and password.

If that doesn't work just reinstall joomla in the www directory within wamp and remember to set the username and password to something memorable.

Haaris :)

CDOC
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by CDOC » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:40 pm

Hi there

I have just read through this thread but cant seem to see the answer to my question here.

Can joomla be installed and run under IIS.
I am very new to joomla so any help is really appreciated.

Thank you in advance

CDOC

AxelHess
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by AxelHess » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:43 am

Woow! thanks  for the tutprial and all the comments

I just have one problem, try to install art banners plus and I can't could somebody give me one hand to resolve this issue?

I try the instalation standard and manualy

thanks

timtecsa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by timtecsa » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:26 pm

I have a joomla site (ISP 1and1.co.uk) at http://store.tecsa.com and have followed the excellent mini-tutorial steps to copy the site to a WAMP setup locally on WinXP).  Unfortunately I get these messages at http://localhost/joomla/

Warning: require_once(C:/wamp/www/joomla/includes/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\wamp\www\joomla\includes\joomla.php on line 75

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'C:/wamp/www/joomla/includes/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in C:\wamp\www\joomla\includes\joomla.php on line 75

Hard to find line 75 in Notepad:-)  Even if I could I wouldn't know what to do with it.  Any ideas?

:-[ Found these messages were caused by incomplete ftp download of joomla files.  :-\
raegan001 wrote: MOD NOTE: This is the discussion topic for the FAQ located here: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,25954.0.html

Excellent mini tutorial!
I have successfully done all of your steps (except I used myJSAS)

Q1:  How do I copy my site that I have already created on the internet to my laptop so that I can edit, test, etc.?    (I didn't set up the site, I added all the content to the site after it was already installed our our Intranet server at my company)

All the documentation I find talks about what you need to do to set up a local copy of joomla, but doesn't really get into newbie step-by-step details on how to copy your already existing site.

Q1:  Assuming I have figured out Q1 (hopefully with your help), how (step-by-step) do I then copy my site back up to the server?

Note: I understand the process of ftp'ing.  That's not where I'm hung up.  I'm hung up on the actual steps that I need to take in order to get my now edited site back up to the server.  Things like, when viewing your server side site in an ftp manager, where do I navigate and what folders and files to I transfer.

I'm so paranoid that I'm going to goof something up and then re-upload my site and mess everything up!  I have to feel 100% confident that I understand this process before I do it.  The site that I am referring to is my company's Intranet.  I'll be looking for a new job if I accidently corrupted or deleted our Intranet.  I have researched this for 5 days and I'm simply out of time and have to get this figured out.   :'(  ???  :-[

:::begging::: for help before I throw myself off a cliff in desparation,

Raegan :-)  :P
Last edited by timtecsa on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “FAQ Discussion Board”