[CONFIRMED+FIX] Joomla! 1.0.13 Admin session dies for certain $task values

Confirmed bugs that have been Fixed - Joomla 1.0.x

[New Threads cannot be started in this forum]
lamoose
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: [UNDER REVIEW] Joomla! 1.0.13 Admin session dies for certain $task values

Post by lamoose » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:44 pm

I had a clean install of 1.0.8  (i.e. no add ons no patchs just the package from joomla) So I figured i'd upgrade to the latest version using the proper patch and I get these errors:

Warning: Missing argument 2 for mosMainFrame::initSessionAdmin(), called in /home/23958/domains/millwoodminiatures.com/html/administrator/index2.php on line 38 and defined in /home/23958/domains/millwoodminiatures.com/html/includes/joomla.php on line 742

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/23958/domains/millwoodminiatures.com/html/includes/joomla.php:742) in /home/23958/domains/millwoodminiatures.com/html/includes/joomla.php on line 800

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/23958/domains/millwoodminiatures.com/html/includes/joomla.php:742) in /home/23958/domains/millwoodminiatures.com/html/includes/joomla.php on line 800

Warning: Unknown: Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the session extension does not consider global variables as a source of data, unless register_globals is enabled. You can disable this functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively. in Unknown on line 0

I do not think 1.0.13 is a stable release. It is in operable. Maybe it should be pulled until there is a solution. Is there a solution?
There is no Finishline

lamoose
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lamoose » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:50 pm

ok the hotfix seemed to work for me.

Cept now the errors and log out issue appears in the media manager iframe. Evertime you click a folder it logs you out.
Last edited by lamoose on Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no Finishline

consigliere
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by consigliere » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:50 pm

consigliere wrote:
RobS wrote: Hi guys,

I have been trying to duplicate the problem but I am unable to.  Can you guys tell me which web server software (Apache/IIS/etc) you experience this problem with and which version of that software and what PHP version you are using?  I am using Apache 2.2.x and PHP 5.2.3.

Rob
I am having the same problem,  Joomla Logs me out automatically when trying to open an item for editing. This is my enviroment:

Joomla 1.0.13
XhtmlSuite 1.8
Firefox 2.0.0.6
PHP 4.3.11
WebServerX  Apache 1.3.33 (Unix)
I read the error log of apache... Have the same previous warnings posted in this thread.

Code: Select all

[Fri Aug 10 19:42:15 2007] [error] PHP Warning:  session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/mazatlan/public_html/new/includes/joomla.php:794) in /home/mazatlan/public_html/new/includes/joomla.php on line 800
[Fri Aug 10 19:42:15 2007] [error] PHP Warning:  session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mazatlan/public_html/new/includes/joomla.php:794) in /home/mazatlan/public_html/new/includes/joomla.php on line 800
[Fri Aug 10 19:42:12 2007] [error] PHP Warning:  session_destroy(): Session object destruction failed in /home/mazatlan/public_html/new/includes/joomla.php on line 794

RobS
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by RobS » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:47 am

Hi all,

I'm sorry that I have taken so long to get back here but I have just been really busy and dealing with life.  I went through and tried to rework the problem so it doesn't have this problem and I think I found a way to deal with it that it is just as secure and possibly faster than the previous fix that was made.  I have attached a zip file to this post with two files in it.  The first file is index.php should replace administrator/index.php and joomla.php should replace includes/joomla.php  When you put these files in place, you will probably get logged out but once you get logged back in, the problem will hopefully be fixed.  Please do not test this on live sites though, I cannot guarantee that it works as I am working on a laptop and only have one environment to test against.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Schley - Open Source Matters
Webimagery - http://www.webimagery.net/ - Professional Consulting Services
JXtended - http://www.jxtended.com/ - Free and Commercial Joomla! Extensions

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:11 am

Just gave it a shot on the box that was giving me trouble and it seems to be working so good so far. Thanks Rob!
Joseph L. LeBlanc: http://www.jlleblanc.com
Frontend components start here: /components/com_[name]/[name].php
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

sgreen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sgreen » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:54 am

TVM for this - have just installed it on the system that was causing trouble and all appears to be well so far.  Nice!

StuG

Rajah
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: [CONFIRMED+FIX] Joomla! 1.0.13 Admin session dies for certain $task values

Post by Rajah » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:54 am

Thanks! It works now  :)

baj45359
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by baj45359 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:35 pm

Rob,
Now I know why they call you a Hero.  I'm fairly new to Joomla and muddle through maintaining 3 sites (1 for family and 2 for non-profits.)  Kind of just learn as I go.  I recently felt like I'd learned enough about Joomla to convert all three and just started my first major rework of a site.  This issue was presenting me with major problems and now all is well for me.  Thank you very much for your hard work on the project.
Bruce

Update PS - After the fix, when I moved from my laptop to my desktop, which is running Windows 2000 and IE v6.0, the problem remained.  I tried several reboots (which did not work) and a different browser on the same machine (which did work).  Then i deleted all my cookies, history, etc, and now it even works with the old IE version.
Last edited by baj45359 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edwardvdv
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by edwardvdv » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:50 pm

Hi, I'd also like to report that I've tried both Soeren's one line patch and RobS his two file patch, and they both seem to work. Thank you guys!

I experienced problems with JoomFish logging me out every time I pressed Cancel or returned to the translations overview page.

FYI, config follows.

Config
Joomla 1.0.13 on CentOS 4.5/Apache 2.0.52/PHP 4.3.9
Joomla! Register Globals Emulation:  OFF 
Register Globals: OFF
Magic Quotes: ON
Safe Mode: OFF
File Uploads: ON
Session auto start: OFF

soeren
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by soeren » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi Rob,
RobS wrote: ...I'm sorry that I have taken so long to get back here but I have just been really busy and dealing with life.  I went through and tried to rework the problem so it doesn't have this problem and I think I found a way to deal with it that it is just as secure and possibly faster than the previous fix that was made.
That solution works perfectly. It was really necessary that you modified the file joomla.php: the initAdminSession function really needed to be reverted back to what it was in Joomla! <= 1.0.12, thanks for that fix RobS. eXtplorer 2 and VirtueMart 1.1 (SVN) are working correctly now.

RobS' Fix works.

ciao, Sören
Last edited by soeren on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

treegarner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by treegarner » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:18 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you....  I was creating autoresponders in Acajoom and was logged out after each new autoresponder.  With over 300 autoresponders to go, I was about ready to scratch the site and start over with 1.0.12.  You're a lifesaver!!
Last edited by treegarner on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

akede
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by akede » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:27 am

Hi Rob,

I also like to confirm that the fix solved my issue. Very well done and many thanks

Alex
Joom!Fish 2.0 your free multilingual solution for Joomla! 1.5 i - http://www.joomfish.net - follow us on twitter @joomfish
Meet us at J and Beyond, 30.05 - 1.06.10, Wiesbaden, Germany - http://jandbeyond.org

amcvinni
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amcvinni » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:27 am

Awesome, thank you. the fix.zip files worked for me... I was starting to sweat.

Joo Roolz

dagomar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dagomar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:48 am

Yep, this fix seems to work for me too.
Just a thought... This bug will probably affect everybody who is upgrading (...). Not everybody is really good at finding hotfixes... So maybe it would be good to pull 1.0.13 or to upgrade asap (which ur probably working on but anyways...) keep up the good work!

consigliere
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by consigliere » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:37 pm

dagomar wrote: Yep, this fix seems to work for me too.
Just a thought... This bug will probably affect everybody who is upgrading (...). Not everybody is really good at finding hotfixes... So maybe it would be good to pull 1.0.13 or to upgrade asap (which ur probably working on but anyways...) keep up the good work!
You are right.

rob27
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by rob27 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:24 pm

Just did a fresh install on FreeBSD 6.2PRE, Apache 2.2.4 & PHP 4.4.7
Session path is there and writable, exact config as previous 1.0.12 install.
Can login to frontend, cannot login to backend (kicked out immediately to blank page tried(IE6, IE7, FF2.0.5, Opera9.22 all the same)

Just applied the fix with the two files, and unfortunately doesn't do anyhting for me.

1.0.13 should not be named stable imho, I expect stable to stable for some reason.
Although one could argue that you can't really get much safer than without admin access :-)
Suggestion: at least a possible/know problems page should be set right where the downloads are.
Very glad I did not try to upgrade any live sites :-)

Will try to see if PHP5 makes any difference. One more night of fiddling, after that it's back to 1.0.12 for me.  :'(

Additional info after many fiddling sessions :-) SOLVED FOR ME

What fixed it for me was NOT going back to 1.0.12, but going back to 1.0.12 gave me the same issue, even doing 1.0.11 + upgrade gave the same "session start" problems. So I was forced to look further down the line. Turns out this has been a recurring issue for many user from 1.0.8 thru to 1.0.12.

What fixed it for me was
- using MySQLAdmin to repair the database (looked like some DB corruption) using extensive, even if it was freshly created
- setting sef to 1 in configuration.php
- using .htaccess to set session path inside joomla dir (/joomla/sessions) (even if on my own server /tmp was definitely writeable)

My conclusion now would be that step 2 & 3 are not even necessary, will give it a try on a fresh one later on.

Hope this helps some people, it was driving me nuts  :P

And then the fix from RobS works perfectly. Yippee! Thanks man.
Last edited by rob27 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fradav4
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fradav4 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:13 pm

RobS wrote: Hi all,

I'm sorry that I have taken so long to get back here but I have just been really busy and dealing with life.  I went through and tried to rework the problem so it doesn't have this problem and I think I found a way to deal with it that it is just as secure and possibly faster than the previous fix that was made.  I have attached a zip file to this post with two files in it.  The first file is index.php should replace administrator/index.php and joomla.php should replace includes/joomla.php  When you put these files in place, you will probably get logged out but once you get logged back in, the problem will hopefully be fixed.  Please do not test this on live sites though, I cannot guarantee that it works as I am working on a laptop and only have one environment to test against.
Using IIS I had the same problem.  The patches fixed my issues.  Thanks!

consigliere
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by consigliere » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:15 pm

consigliere wrote:
consigliere wrote:
RobS wrote: Hi guys,

I have been trying to duplicate the problem but I am unable to.  Can you guys tell me which web server software (Apache/IIS/etc) you experience this problem with and which version of that software and what PHP version you are using?  I am using Apache 2.2.x and PHP 5.2.3.

Rob
I am having the same problem,  Joomla Logs me out automatically when trying to open an item for editing. This is my enviroment:

Joomla 1.0.13
XhtmlSuite 1.8
Firefox 2.0.0.6
PHP 4.3.11
WebServerX  Apache 1.3.33 (Unix)
I read the error log of apache... Have the same previous warnings posted in this thread.

[Fri Aug 10 19:42:15 2007] [error] PHP Warning:  session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/mazatlan/public_html/new/includes/joomla.php:794) in /home/mazatlan/public_html/new/includes/joomla.php on line 800
[Fri Aug 10 19:42:15 2007] [error] PHP Warning:  session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mazatlan/public_html/new/includes/joomla.php:794) in /home/mazatlan/public_html/new/includes/joomla.php on line 800
[Fri Aug 10 19:42:12 2007] [error] PHP Warning:  session_destroy(): Session object destruction failed in /home/mazatlan/public_html/new/includes/joomla.php on line 794

another error on my enviroment:

Mon Aug 13 19:05:04 2007] [error] PHP Fatal error:  session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: /tmp) in /home/mazatlan/public_html/new/administrator/index2.php on line 37
Is this for the same issue of this thread?

Jesseh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jesseh » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 am

I did a quick test and it works so far, thank a lot RobS!!!  :)

henrygud
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by henrygud » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:38 am

Hi,
I did a test after upgrade and it works, thanks!!! 
But why not update the 1.0.13 zip?

Thanks
Henry

maeigr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by maeigr » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:46 am

Upgraded joomla from 1.0.12 to 1.0.13.

I was able to login in the admin section, though, wherever I clicked I was logged out and got this message.
You need to login. If PHP's session.auto_start setting is on or session.use_cookies setting is off, you may need to correct this before you will be able to login.
I applied your fix and I was unable to login, and got this message instead:
Invalid Session
I tried a quick and dirty idea, by replacing administrator/index.php and includes/joomla.php by the 1.0.12 versions, though that didn't work (invalid password, they have already been salted apparently).

Perhaps the warning on the frontpage for the 1.0.13 version should mention that some user are unable to login as admin once the upgrade is complete :-/

Is there a possible downgrade path?

Edit: some info on the system :
Apache 2.0 mod_php5 mysql 4.1.22
PHP 5.2.3
session.use_cookies On
session.auto_start On
register_globals On
magic_quotes_gpc On 
safe_mode On 
file_uploads On

The front end login works without problems

Could it be the influence of fireboard?

HTTP_COOKIE PHPSESSID=some long hex number;
another hex number=another hex number;
webfxtab_modules-cpanel=4;
still an hex number;
yahn (yet another hex number);
fboard_settings[member_id]=0; fboard_settings[prevvisit]=10 digit number; fboard_settings[current_view]=flat

(not being perfectly sure of what those hex number are, I prefer not to show them  :-[)

Edit2: The downgrade path: change back administrator/index.php and includes/joomla.php reset the admin password in the database: see http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,10985.0.html

This allow you to login and work with your installation (though, you'll have to reset the password of other users who logged in)

Do not change your password using joomla interface

Replace the files changed by the 1.0.12->1.0.13 upgrade by the 1.0.12 files (you could directly do that, and reset the password, if you do not any reason to fiddle in the admin interface first).

Now you can change your password using joomla's interface (admin is a bit obvious for an admin password :p )

By the way, may I suggest a regenerate password+mass mailing feature for this kind of incident? (and a new howto for the reset of the password. With salt, the linked method won't work anymore, will it?)
Last edited by maeigr on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilkinsonb
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wilkinsonb » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:05 pm

the fix.zip worked for me but I had also previously replaced the index2.php file so maybe that is needed as well?

anyways, my site is working great right now.

nrouze
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nrouze » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:29 am

8) Fix worked perfectly for me on my site containing CB 1.1 and Joomfish 1.7

Thanks

Nicolas

consigliere
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by consigliere » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:39 am

wilkinsonb wrote: the fix.zip worked for me but I had also previously replaced the index2.php file so maybe that is needed as well?

anyways, my site is working great right now.
It is necessary to replace index2.php too?

kenneta
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by kenneta » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:25 am

This fix made my day as well! Thank You very much. I was tired of logging in backend...
(Running on Linux-server)

Kind regards,

Kenneth

Actor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Actor » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:07 am

Unfortunately both proposed fixes didn't work here.
Still can't log into the admin panel: "Invalid Session" response.

running on PHP5.1.6, MySQL 5.0.46, Centos4.2

RobS
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by RobS » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:15 am

For the people that are getting the "Invalid Session" message, could you please try to clear your browser cookies or try a different browser if you have access to one.

Thanks.
Rob Schley - Open Source Matters
Webimagery - http://www.webimagery.net/ - Professional Consulting Services
JXtended - http://www.jxtended.com/ - Free and Commercial Joomla! Extensions

Actor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Actor » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:24 am

Finally solved my problem.
It wasn't about the browser cookies, but after cleaning up every what has to do with session setting, except the RobS fix, I got it work. Especially cleaned up .htaccess. Just used the joomla default with one extra line: php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on
After that worked, I put back my session.save_path redirect to a private location outside the domain httproot. That also works now.

choppy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by choppy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:00 pm

I just upgraded and applied the patch. Nothing works for me unfortunately. I don't have vituemart installed either. Nobody can login to our site at all now.

Admins can get in back end Hotfix just sent us to pages that didn't exist. 

Since I do not fully understant SEF (Never worked) I don't see the point in employing it.

Is the old version still available please? What with silence at Fireboard and an update that takes your site down its been a very interesting 48 hours. 

consigliere
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by consigliere » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:24 pm

Actor wrote: Unfortunately both proposed fixes didn't work here.
Still can't log into the admin panel: "Invalid Session" response.

running on PHP5.1.6, MySQL 5.0.46, Centos4.2
I can login, but once in a while Joomla Logs me out with "Invalid Session Message".

No error logs. I am going to erase cookies and sessions to see what's happend.
Last edited by consigliere on Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Q&T 1.0.x Resolved”