Confirmed bugs that have been Fixed - Joomla 1.0.x

[New Threads cannot be started in this forum]
ednigma
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla! PHP errors

Post by ednigma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi there guys!

I am a new Joomla! user and I must say the framework is overall great!

But, I have spent my last 2 days debugging the errors spit by 1.0.13 framework and I have to admit they are not over yet!

If some of you dare to enable error_reporting to E_ALL, you got yourself with a brick instead of your shinny website/framework!
I have added an error handler that is reporting me all the issues via email, and I had to put more RAM on my mail server as it got stuck with those debugging emails.

My question is: do you accept GLOBAL patches? Or just local/small patches? Because lots of things I have fixed and I bet it will make the framework run smoother.

The worst and most annoying bit of code I saw pretty much was something like:
if (@$variable && $variable == SOME_VALUE) {
}

This is really bad practice! Please use:
if (isset($variable) && ($variable == SOME_VALUE)) {
}

This is called safe codding, and you can implement a general error reporting function to either your team or the site maintainer. I bet this will bump up the debugging of the framework and you will end up with a really professional application.

Please get me an answer if you agree sending you the diff and if you have the time to look over it.

More, I would like to join your forces. What do I have to do? I have looked over the site and I have found only the patch submitter area.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla! PHP errors

Post by infograf768 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:29 am

I use E_ALL as all of us testers.

Would you mind sharing here the Notices you get?
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

ednigma
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ednigma » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:52 am

There were a lot! Most were because of calling functions from classes without being declared as static. Btw, I am using:
PHP built On:  Linux www 2.6.16.38-xenU #1 SMP Tue Feb 27 18:49:57 EET 2007 x86_64
Database Version: 5.0.32-Debian_7etch1
PHP Version: 5.2.0-8+etch7
Web Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c
WebServer to PHP interface: apache2handler
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.0.13 Stable [ Sunglow ] 21 July 2007 16:00 UTC

Relevant PHP Settings: 
Joomla! Register Globals Emulation: OFF
Register Globals: OFF
Magic Quotes: ON
Safe Mode: OFF
File Uploads: ON
Session auto start: OFF
Session save path: /var/lib/php5
Short Open Tags: ON
Output Buffering: OFF
Open basedir: none
Display Errors: ON
XML enabled: Yes
Zlib enabled: Yes
Disabled Functions: none

PHP Version 5.2.0-8+etch7
System Linux www 2.6.16.38-xenU #1 SMP Tue Feb 27 18:49:57 EET 2007 x86_64
Build Date Jul 2 2007 20:36:49
Server API Apache 2.0 Handler
Virtual Directory Support disabled
Configuration File (php.ini) Path /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
Scan this dir for additional .ini files /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d
additional .ini files parsed /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/curl.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/gd.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/mysql.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/mysqli.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/pdo.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/pdo_mysql.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/pdo_sqlite.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/snmp.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/sqlite.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/tidy.ini
PHP API 20041225
PHP Extension 20060613
Zend Extension 220060519
Debug Build no
Thread Safety disabled
Zend Memory Manager enabled
IPv6 Support enabled
Registered PHP Streams zip
Registered Stream Socket Transports tcp, udp, unix, udg, ssl, sslv3, sslv2, tls
Registered Stream Filters string.rot13, string.toupper, string.tolower, string.strip_tags, convert.*, consumed, convert.iconv.*, bzip2.*, zlib.*

This program makes use of the Zend Scripting Language Engine:
Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies

Well, I managed to patch all the notices, where can I send you the diff? Is it OK to send the output of diff command from linux? You could use the patch command from linux to apply it. Or please point me out another way of sending you my patches.

I am quite experienced with PHP coding and I tend to make the code perfect by any means!

What about becoming a member? Is there a place for me in your team? I don't have a lot of time to spend on the project, but I can do some support like bug fixing or stuff like that.

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:32 am

Hi ednigma,

Thank you for your explanations and the time you have put in to debug the current stable frame work.

To answer two important questions;

Where to send diff files? You could send them to me if you like, I'm coordinator of Quality and Testing and also responsible for the code base. You can find my e-mail address in my forum profile.

What about becoming a member? If you could spend time on a regular basis, I could sure use experienced php developers in the Q&T working group. Feel free to apply and tell me a bit more about yourself in the e-mail you might send with the diff files.

Thanks!

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:25 pm

No feedback, moving to resolved

Return to “Q&T 1.0.x Resolved”