Third party advertising on JED - not the best way?

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
JJazz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Third party advertising on JED - not the best way?

Post by JJazz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:52 am

"We have detected that you are using an ad blocker. The Joomla! Project relies on revenue from these advertisements so please consider disabling the ad blocker for this domain.

We all need to pay the bills somehow.

However I will not disable ad-blocking to support Joomla (JED). That's because JED serves third party ads which put my computers at risk from malware and certainly invade my privacy.

I would like to see JED use Joomla's own built in capabilities to serve ads directly from its own site. I would support and not block those. Joomla and other websites need to take responsibility for the ads they expect their own visitors to download i.e. javascript from unknown parties which the visitor has no relation with. Malware injection is a higher-risk when most site visitors will be Joomla site administrators and therefore have browser access to personally-identifiable information that is generally protected by law.

Combined with self-serve ad software that would allow the ad-buyer to purchase an ad based on context, it seems likely to me that JED, a directory of third-party (commercial) software would have no problem selling ads - and collecting 100% of the revenues, unlike third-party ad sales which usually offer poor returns for great privacy giveaways.

Or space could be made available to "JED sponsors", displayed proportionally to the amount they donate.

One reason I have used Joomla (just as it forked from Mambo) and other F/LOSS is because it gives me the ability to protect my own readers from surveillance capitalists. My site, which just celebrated it's 10th anniversary, is ad-free. We have not had anything to do with Google or Facebook for 8 years. Along with Joomla, I also use Matomo in-house analytics, and phpList in-house mailing software to protect my readers' privacy. We don't use Facebook anymore, and have not done so for a good part of a year, and largely ignored it for years before that.

With this approach, I received $10,000 in solicited reader donations this past year for a small regional publication about jazz. Independent websites are not dead in the age of Facebook!

Instead of asking Joomla administrators to give up their privacy and risk their computers being compromised with malware, please consider providing alternatives to ad-blockers including self-served ads, or asking for a donation (and justifying your need with a financial statement). I have donated to Joomla in the past.

I do not see any advertising component in the JED 4 Specifications Summary. Is advertising not being planned? Where would this be further discussed?

Thank you for your volunteer efforts to provide an excellent CMS and related infrastructure like JED.

Brett

mbabker
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Third party advertising on JED - not the best way?

Post by mbabker » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Unless the JED is doing their own thing with regards to ads, all advertisements across the joomla.org domain are coming from ads.joomla.org through a self hosted Revive AdServer instance.

anibal_sanchez
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Third party advertising on JED - not the best way?

Post by anibal_sanchez » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:58 pm

JED ads space is managed in the general platform: https://www.buysellads.com/buy/detail/278743

Regards
@anibal_sanchez - http://blog.anibalhsanchez.com

JED Team Leader

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”