Plain text on contact component

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
LukeDouglas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Plain text on contact component

Post by LukeDouglas » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:53 pm

It is long past due for an option to be added to restrict forms created under the Contact Component so that form submission can accept HTML (current) or be restricted to Plain Text.
Last edited by toivo on Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information; please check the purpose of the forum before posting!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Plain text on contact component

Post by sozzled » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:16 pm

G'day. I'm not sure I understand the question or the rationale behind it. I don't use contact forms myself; they're usually a waste of time and a source of nuisance (and that's just my opinion). Therefore I'm probably not a very good person to contribute in a meaningful way to the discussion. The biggest and most important "restriction" that I would like to see with contact forms is to restrict their ability to propagate spam email.

Perhaps you could explain the reasons that (a) it's long past due when something is needed (because I haven't seen many examples on this forum when there have been calls for something to be done in this area), and (b) how allowing (or restricting) HTML or Plain Text would improve the Contacts component in a meaningful way?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

LukeDouglas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LukeDouglas » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:29 am

sozzled,

By forcing plain text, spammers can't insert hyperlinks.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:44 am

Fair enough, I suppose. I don't know if it's "long past due" for this feature. Perhaps there's an extension in the JED that does this? Have you looked there?

As I wrote earlier, I don't use contact forms myself and, for that reason, I don't get much nuisance traffic. Good luck.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

LukeDouglas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LukeDouglas » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:49 am

I do use BreezinForms for more complicated forms and I can force plain text. However, one client's website has a lot of contacts do I was just trying to get out of a lot of work. 😁

Another pet peeve is lack of geo-blocking. I only have one client that needs worldwide access. All the others only need U.S. access. That would trim down spam by 95% or more.

Luke

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:09 am

Yeah ... "geo-blocking" ... tell me about it! :laugh:

I don't use "geo-blocking" features. Again, they're not very effective and they add to the list of other things I'd rather be spending my time on. Everyone has their own opinion, of course.

I don't use "geo-blocking" (just like I don't use contact forms) but I acknowledge that some people have a want for those things. I don't use 'em but, by the same token, I don't have problems with nuisance/spam email, either. Cheers.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”