Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore Topic is solved

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Post Reply
User avatar
kimhuff
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:16 am

Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by kimhuff » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:42 pm

I have a login for joomla.org where I look at extensions and other information. As with many of my other online accounts, I setup 2-step authentication. Unfortunately, my phone died last year and I have a new phone now which means I can no longer log into my joomla.org account.

I looked for a way to reach out to someone but I couldn't find a "Contact Us" anywhere. How do I reset my login so it will no longer look at 2-step authentication?
Last edited by toivo on Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mod note: retitled on request
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

User avatar
AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 7146
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 am
Location: Australia

Re: Joomla.org

Post by AMurray » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:00 pm

When you enabled 2FA, it should have generated a set of emergency codes which you can print and keep in a safe place. These are one-time use codes in cases where you can't access the authenticator app that normally generates the random codes.

Different Joomla sub-sites require separate logins so this is just one example of where you might gain assistance for extensions.joomla.org, see the feedback forum, ask for help there: viewforum.php?f=262.
Regards - A Murray

User avatar
kimhuff
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:16 am

Can No Longer Log Into Joomla.org

Post by kimhuff » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:42 pm

About a year ago I went through most of my online accounts and setup 2-step authentication. At that time, I decided to set this up for my Joomla.org account. Unfortunately, I had a problem with my phone and I had to get a new one in November 2020. If I remember correctly, it was setup using Google Authenticator. It was mentioned to me that you get codes that allow you to get in just in case you have a situation just like mine. Unfortunately, that info was kept in my Samsung Notes and since the phone died, I no longer had access to it and for some reason, I lost many entries in my Samsung Notes. Basically, about 18 months of my Samsung Notes are missing and for whatever reason was not sync'd with my Samsung account.

So, I need someone at joomla.org to disable 2-step authentication so I can get back in to fix my login issues. Who would have this kind of access to fix my login?

Thank you for your time.
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

User avatar
kimhuff
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:16 am

Re: Joomla.org

Post by kimhuff » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:02 am

AMurray,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, the emergency codes were in my Samsung Notes and I guess it never fully backed up for the last year and a half. Believe me, I lost a ton of important stuff. Thankfully I made sure it is updating now with the new phone but I am screwed when it comes to all the stuff I lost.

I posted something in the feedback forum you mentioned; hopefully, someone will answer my questoin.
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

User avatar
pe7er
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 23409
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Joomla.org

Post by pe7er » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:38 am

Mod note: topic merged and moved to Sites & Infrastructure forum.
Please don't open new topics for the same issue.
Kind Regards,
Peter Martin, Global Moderator
https://db8.nl - Joomla specialist, Nijmegen, Nederland
The best website: https://the-best-website.com

User avatar
kimhuff
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:16 am

Cannot Login to http://extensions.joomla.org

Post by kimhuff » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:32 pm

pe7er wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:38 am
Mod note: topic merged and moved to Sites & Infrastructure forum.
Please don't open new topics for the same issue.
Thank you moving/merging my post to the correct place. I started another post because someone else said I should be posting in Feedback. If I should have moved that post, how do I do that?

Unfortunately, someone has changed my subject line to "Forgotten my password to login to joomla.org." This is NOT the problem I am having. I have my username AND my password, but when my phone literally died, I lost access to my Google Authenticator. Because I cannot provide the 2-step verification numbers, I can't login to http://extensions.joomla.org.

Several of my accounts used 2-Step Verification so I had to reach out to all of the companies so they could disable the 2-Step Verification which allowed me to log back in and set it up again. Thankfully, I did not setup the added security on my Joomla Forums account and since I cannot find any way to contact whoever manages http://extensions.joomla.org, the forums was my last option. I hate to create a whole new account especially since I only have one email I check on a regular basis.

I need someone at the joomla.org level to remove 2-Step Authentication so I can get in and set it up again with my new phone. Can you help me?
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 10964
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by sozzled » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:44 pm

G'day, Kim

1) You can't move forum topics yourself but you can ask a forum moderator to move them for you. You can also report your first post in a topic and ask a forum moderator to change the subject.

2) Unfortunately, because you can't login with your original extensions.joomla.org account, you can't raise a support ticket to ask the JED team to "reset" the 2FA information. Kind of a Catch-22. You also cannot directly contact the JED team to explain the circumstances because you have to login to volunteers.joomla.org to use the contact form. Another Catch-22.

3) It's one reason why 2FA can cause a few problems.

4) You could use this forum's "support form" and ask for your question to be referred to the appropriate department who can assist you. :)

Yeah, your choices are limited but I'm sure there's a way around these problems.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

User avatar
kimhuff
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:16 am

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by kimhuff » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:18 pm

sozzled wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:44 pm
G'day, Kim

4) You could use this forum's "support form" and ask for your question to be referred to the appropriate department who can assist you. :)

Yeah, your choices are limited but I'm sure there's a way around these problems.
Thank you for the extremely quick reply sozzled.

It looks like my only option is #4. But, I don't want to start another post and get the moderators mad at me again. How do I reach out to the correct person? Do I talk to the moderator for this board, or do I reach out to the moderator of this "support form" board? Plus, how do I reach out to these moderators? Is there a list that shows which moderators cover each board?

I also want to change the post subject. The current subject is completely wrong. I've been trying to think of a good subject and to be honest, you nailed it. I'd like the subject to be changed to what you put; does the moderator make that change too?

Thank you for your time.
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 10964
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by sozzled » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:26 pm

I'll try my best to address your two questions.

1) Use the "report post" feature (the yellow "!" mark that appears next to the first post in this discussion) and select the Reason = "The reported post does not fit into any other category. Please use the further information field" and, in Further Information, write, "Please change the subject to 'Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore"

2) Don't start another discussion topic. Use the forum "support form" or report your post (see (1) above) and write under Further Information, "Can you refer this matter to the webmaster of extensions.joomla.org to have my 2FA information reset, please?"

That's what I would do. It may take a couple of days for this to be fixed but I'm sure it can be done. Good luck.

I don't know who is currently in charge of handling JED login issues. The JED Team information page provides a few clues.

Another thought: have you tried using the "Forgot your password" option at https://extensions.joomla.org/users-login-form/? Does this help? ???
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

User avatar
kimhuff
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:16 am

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by kimhuff » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:28 pm

sozzled wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:26 pm
I'll try my best to address your two questions.

Another thought: have you tried using the "Forgot your password" option at https://extensions.joomla.org/users-login-form/? Does this help? ???
I have not tried "Forgot Your Password." I figured that was just for passwords and since I knew my password, I didn't even think to try that. I will try that before I report the post.

Thank you again Sozzled!
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

User avatar
toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 13721
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:48 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by toivo » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:46 pm

This topic has now been moved to the right sub forum, extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information, and retitled as requested.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

User avatar
anibal_sanchez
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:01 pm
Location: Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Contact:

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by anibal_sanchez » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:53 am

HI,

If you have enabled 2FA, you may have the "One time emergency passwords".

Please, confirm if you don't have the "One time emergency passwords" either.
@anibal_sanchez - Former JED Team Leader.

Prefix PHP Libraries & Projects: https://php-prefixer.com
My Extensions: https://extly.com

User avatar
AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 7146
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 am
Location: Australia

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by AMurray » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:39 pm

anibal_sanchez wrote:HI,

If you have enabled 2FA, you may have the "One time emergency passwords".

Please, confirm if you don't have the "One time emergency passwords" either.
I mentioned that myself earlier.....@kimhuff had no success with this.
kimhuff wrote:AMurray,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, the emergency codes were in my Samsung Notes and I guess it never fully backed up for the last year and a half. Believe me, I lost a ton of important stuff. Thankfully I made sure it is updating now with the new phone but I am screwed when it comes to all the stuff I lost.

I posted something in the feedback forum you mentioned; hopefully, someone will answer my questoin.
Regards - A Murray

User avatar
kimhuff
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:16 am

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by kimhuff » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:14 am

anibal_sanchez wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:53 am
HI,

If you have enabled 2FA, you may have the "One time emergency passwords".

Please, confirm if you don't have the "One time emergency passwords" either.
Unfortunately, when my phone died, it took those codes with it.

I hope you can help me.
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

User avatar
anibal_sanchez
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:01 pm
Location: Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Contact:

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by anibal_sanchez » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:08 am

Hi,

I've disabled 2FA on your account, reset the password and sent you a verification link to your email. Please, complete the password change to access the site.

Best Regards
@anibal_sanchez - Former JED Team Leader.

Prefix PHP Libraries & Projects: https://php-prefixer.com
My Extensions: https://extly.com

User avatar
kimhuff
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:16 am

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by kimhuff » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:55 am

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, we have had an illness in the family and I have been unavailable for a few months. Thank you for fixing my issue, it was greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

User avatar
anibal_sanchez
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:01 pm
Location: Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Contact:

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by anibal_sanchez » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:37 am

You are welcome.
@anibal_sanchez - Former JED Team Leader.

Prefix PHP Libraries & Projects: https://php-prefixer.com
My Extensions: https://extly.com

User avatar
AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 7146
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 am
Location: Australia

Re: Unable to use 2FA because I don't have my mobile phone anymore

Post by AMurray » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:02 am

Just an additional comment to this - maybe you can try Akeeba's Login Guard, which can use email to send you the login 6-digit code (rather than the Google Authenticator).
Regards - A Murray


Post Reply

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”