JED error code UR9 - safe to use or not? Topic is solved

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
livetvaccess
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

JED error code UR9 - safe to use or not?

Post by livetvaccess » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:33 pm

Hi,
I was looking for a Joomla extension and I found it OrdaSoft, but it has been removed from the Joomla Directory with violation code (UR9), could someone explain if it is safe to use the extensions of this developer or not?
Would appreciate if you have an experience with the developer.
Thank you
Last edited by toivo on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 4.x General Questions, retitled

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: JED error code UR9 - safe to use or not?

Post by toivo » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:11 pm

This is the explanation of the error UR9:

JED wrote:UR9-Violation - Licensing Restrictions
End Users: This extension developer restricts the license granted in a way that is incompatible with the JED Guidelines and/or the GPL License. We recommend you review the agreement you made with the developer when purchasing this extension to ensure your rights are protected.
The link to the explanation of the error code is broken. The correct link is https://extensions.joomla.org/support/k ... ror-codes/
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

livetvaccess
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by livetvaccess » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:01 am

Thank you for your reply.
I noticed this developer's other extensions have been unpublished too for the same reason, and I am wondering if it is safe to purchase an extension from them after reading their T&C.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:30 am

@Livetaccess: Having an extension listed on the JED is not a guarantee of anything. It is not a guarantee that the product works (or works as described) or is safe to use with any version of J! or other software. Having an extension listed on the JED simply means that the extension follows the rules required for it to be listed.

One of those rules is that extensions must be licensed under the GPL and, further, "additional restrictions may not be placed on top of the GPL". If products listed on the JED do not follow these rules, the JED team may (and does) de-list them. If a product is de-listed with the code UR9 it means that the product violated the licensing rules.

The fact that any product has been de-listed does not mean it's "unsafe" for any reason. If a product has been de-listed it has been de-listed. It's as simple as that.

Would I or anyone recommend using a product that is not listed on the JED? I do not recommend any product (with one exception) whether it is listed or not listed on the JED. The only exception I make about recommending any product related to the is the top-rated, most-reviewed and most used extension for J!; no prizes for guessing which one that is! ;)

Use the extension or do not use the extension (or any third-party extension for that matter) as you choose and at your own risk. There is no guarantee any extension will work and, further, there is no liability to the J! project if using an extension causes any financial or other loss. Having said that, I would add that third-party extensions listed on the JED are better than those that are not. 8)

webgobe
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webgobe » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:38 am

If you need a third opinion from a JED insider, here it is. Both @Toivo and @sozzled are 100% right. You can use the OrdaSoft extensions on your risk. Being listed on JED does not represent any kind of guarantees or endorsements. Means simply that the extension respects the rules and conditions for being listed on JED. Similarly being delisted from JED means only that the respective extension aren't complying to JED rules. The rules here are established with the intention to help made the Joomla ecosystem a safer place, with some clearly established set of values being respected by everyone. IF someone decide to play OUTSIDE of this set of rules/values does not necessarily means that their extensions are worse, unsafer or inferior to those listed on JED. Simply means that you are on your own by using them - you aren't benefiting from the support of the community, their shared experience, the feedback they usually provide about these extensions. It is up to you if you are comfortable with this situation, in this particular case if you are OK with a licensing DIFFERENT from the one imposed as part of set of values promoted by Joomla.
Tips on Joomla - http://joomla-tips.org
My LinkedIn profile - http://ro.linkedin.com/in/webgobe
Like a fine wine - getting better over time!

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by SharkyKZ » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:47 am

webgobe
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webgobe » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:06 am

Jep. I can't repeat this often enough: When you post something on JED you are AGREEING to the JED Rules. There is no other ways around. And in these rules is explicitly stated that you can be unpublished ANYTIME without prior warning - with one notable exception. We have a bot with crawles the extensions at regular time intervals and sends alerts to their owners in case BROKEN LINKS are discovered. This is the ONLY case when you are receiving an extra notification prior to being delisted.
When you are delisted you are receiving an email with the details of the violation for which you are delisted and the recommended steps you must take in the order to be listed again. It is every JED listing owner's sole responsibility to have a VALID email address on file, and to monitor this email box for messages received from the VERY SMALL, but dedicated JED team.
Bottom-line - when someone is delisted we have SOLID reasons to do so. And there is ALWAYS a solution offered to get your extensions back to JED. It is the extension owner's sole responsibility and decision IF they want to play according to those rules - as many other aspects related, including the quality of their extensions. JED is just an opportunity to have greater visibility, a platform to connect the extension producers to ones who need these extensions. It is not a quality assurance tool, or a kind of security enforcement&endorsing team.
Tips on Joomla - http://joomla-tips.org
My LinkedIn profile - http://ro.linkedin.com/in/webgobe
Like a fine wine - getting better over time!

livetvaccess
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by livetvaccess » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:57 pm

Thanks to you all.
Your replies were so informative.
Much appreciated

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”