About the importance of volunteering and respect for volunteers

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
webgobe
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

About the importance of volunteering and respect for volunteers

Post by webgobe » Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 am

Probably I should not post here, because I am deeply involved in this in first place, and secondly Anibal has properly addressed the subject.
Sorry, but I can't keep my dirty big mouth shut.
This is an Open Source Project. Everyone who contributes to it makes that free of charge, don't expecting to be DIRECTLY paid or rewarded for this. And this is true for most of people involved, developers and/or volunteers alike. Some are doing this mainly for their own personal advantage, others for the community in the first place - does not really matter, what is really matter here, that as main outcome or just a side effect of everyone's actions the project is growing - and lives.
BUT no one should forgot that this is run based on efforts of VOLUNTEERS. The best interest of everyone involved would be to SUPPORT the work of volunteers - because all of us are having advantages upon their work. And no one is more important, than others, someone who develops one or more extension, and shares it (free of charge or monetized) with the community CAN'T be put before anyone else. And viceversa, people who are running the infrastructure powering the community (like JED) should NOT be praised more than others.
Trust me, I am deeply knowing all sides here, I am contributing to Open Source projects (and benefitting from them) long before than some of you has even touched a keyboard.
So, please, DON'T underrate the power of volunteering, try to don't hurt people who is donating their time to the community more, than their eventually deserve.
Do you want to see parts of project (as JED) or the whole thing running better, more like you desire to be?
Don't hesitate, VOLUNTEER. Withouth IF's and MAYBE's. Just VOLUNTEER, get involved.
That's the spirit of Open Source. NOT the blame-game. You want to make it better: CONTRIBUTE.
Period.
Last edited by toivo on Mon May 14, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: split from another topic, added subject line
Tips on Joomla - http://joomla-tips.org
My LinkedIn profile - http://ro.linkedin.com/in/webgobe
Like a fine wine - getting better over time!

H13
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: About the importance of volunteering and respect for volunteers

Post by H13 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:46 pm

+1
- Phoca Cart - Joomla eCommerce App - https://www.phoca.cz/phocacart
- Phoca Gallery - powerful image gallery
- Phoca Restaurant Menu - https://www.phoca.cz/phocamenu
- Phoca Download - download manager for Joomla

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by xfsgpr » Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 pm

I don't understand the reason for your post here but I tried to read it and still it makes no sense to me.

One thing I agree with you is that Volunteers are important otherwise we won't have Joomla or Joomla forums; What I don't understand is " try to don't hurt people who is donating their time to the community more". Can you give one example who has been hurt here on these forums? I haven't seen anybody hurt here.

From time to time we do have discussions here and sometimes it gets quite argumentative but this is well handled by the moderators. In fact some moderators are so active that they sometimes delete some legitimate posts. Some of my posts have been affected by these enthusiastic moderators but I just move on and let him or her sort it out.

I rarely get into arguments here; It's just not worth it.

I am sure somebody must have hurt you so I suggest please report him or her to the moderator privately so that the matter can be sorted out.

Apart from this I am glad you are here since 2005 and hopefully we can benefit from your experience.

Best regards keep up the good work.

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Sat May 19, 2018 5:14 am

I think i can understand TS even if we don't know where this topic begin :).
The post is about getting respect for your free work.
As volunteers all we can get from work is a.knowledge, b.respect and c.socialization.
So if you spend many months and even years your knowledge is big so only motivation to continue working is "b" and "c".
So, yes, if you get bad response for your free work it's completely ruin the motivation.
As i can see there are some moderators ... not much friendly here. But this is normal, especially in IT sphere.
So if you have bad nerves (as i am) a collision is imminent.
I envy to xfsgpr and his "inner peace" :). I have not one so i must let off steam, as TS did :).

webgobe
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webgobe » Sun May 20, 2018 6:30 am

xfsgpr wrote:I don't understand the reason for your post here but I tried to read it and still it makes no sense to me..... Some of my posts have been affected by these enthusiastic moderators but I just move on and let him or her sort it out.
Well, this is the perfect case of how an enthusiastic moderator can take out from context a post, and make it hard to understand. In the original thread where the post was actually written it is a perfect example of how an for what volunteers are SOMETIMES unnecessarily hurt. In this particular case members of JED's volunteer staff where accused, and Anibal Sanchez, who is the head programmer there responded to the original post, I replied to that.
So, for the confusion created, I apologize on behalf of the moderator who moved my original reply in a standalone topic, making it hard to understand. Check the footer of the initial post:
Last edited by toivo on 14 May 2018, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: split from another topic, added subject line
BTW, I am here from 2005 because the forum was started then ;) I was active in the old Mambo times too, and I am actively contributing to open source software since the concept was born. Well, anyway, from times before the GPL was written for the first time. ;)

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 am

As a clarification, your post was moved because a member of forum had reported it, the reason being that the post did not fit in with the original topic.

At the start of your original post you also expressed doubt whether it was in the right place. This thread has now started a lively discussion in any case.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

webgobe
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webgobe » Sun May 20, 2018 9:37 am

Thank you for clarifications, Toivo, I had no idea how this post ended up as a standalone entry.

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”