Search filter doesnt work

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Search filter doesnt work

Post by darb » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:59 am

So if the old "Latest updated" didnt work/was accepted of Joomla community as Search filter bcs false/fake in JED I just wonder how you test and validate the menu search for "Compatible with J4 Alpha" false/fake inclusions??

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... rfilters=1

I have several of these JED Alpha 4 that are claimed to be approved that I tested and they are n o t compatible with J 4 Alpha they can not even be installed!

How do you test and validate that? Are you testing all of these Joomla extensions to all these Joomla alpha versions?

Why is these false/fake extensions and search filter more important to have in JED search than "Latest updated"? I dont understand..

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:30 pm

darb wrote:I have several of these JED Alpha 4 that are claimed to be approved that I tested and they are n o t compatible with J 4 Alpha they can not even be installed!
I have not tried to systematically test the Alpha 4 compatible extensions but the two free extensions that I just downloaded from JED could be installed without any issues on Alpha 12 development, downloaded five days ago. I might download the latest nightly package, try again with a few free extensions and report back.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:41 pm

darb wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:59 am
I have several of these JED Alpha 4 that are claimed to be approved that I tested and they are n o t compatible with J 4 Alpha they can not even be installed!
Like what? Which ones? Give examples, please. This also seems to be off-topic from the discussion (not that I particularly care about J! 4 compatibility at this time).

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:08 pm

darb wrote:

How do you test and validate that? Are you testing all of these Joomla extensions to all these Joomla alpha versions?
For about the thousandth time, I will repeat myself. Being listed on the JED does NOT mean accreditation, it does NOT mean the extension is reviewed by the JED team regularly, and realistically a listing on the JED basically only means "my extension is GPL compatible and passes some basic automated code checker" (which said checker in and of itself was really poor quality last I looked at it).

Stop treating the JED like it is a source of gospel for all things Joomla extensions. It is far from it. The ONLY thing the JED offers (when it works) over a *insert preferred search engine here* search is the ability to share end user reviews. That is it.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:13 pm

I agree with @mbabker. TBH, while it may be a good idea for J! extension developers to use J! 4, while it's still in alpha, as a testing ground for assessing future compatibility, I thought the whole "J !4 ALPHA" tagging idea with the JED (and using the JED to market extensions as "compatible" with J! 4 alpha) was a big mistake. The "J !4 ALPHA" tag is meaningless and it results in discussions like this one (where people will dispute whether such extensions are really J! 4-"compatible" [or "approved"] and/or whether J! extension developers are simply making false claims).

As @mbabker rightly says, the JED is not the canon of reliable, fully-tested, bug-free extensions. The JED is just a marketplace, like any other, and there are never any guarantees that come with it.

Further, when people write
darb wrote:
I have several of these JED Alpha 4 that are claimed to be approved ...
... and they do not provide evidence of their allegations, it means nothing. I asked for information about which extensions may fall into this category and we haven't heard back. Honestly, if people have claims that JED listings fail to live up to people's expectations, they should first contact the authors of those extensions and seek clarification about what they [the developers] mean. If authors of JED-listed extensions are deliberately gaming the system then people can report those extensions to the JED team who can deal with those reports, make their own (independent?) assessment, and intervene as necessary. That said, I still believe (while J! 4 is still in alpha) any claims by extension developers that their products are J! 4-"compatible" should be treated with a pinch of salt.

What all of this has to do with the discussion—the search filter doesn't work—is beyond my comprehension.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:00 pm

sozzled wrote:I thought the whole "J !4 ALPHA" tagging idea with the JED (and using the JED to market extensions as "compatible" with J! 4 alpha) was a big mistake.
You are entitled to your opinion, but, in principle, the idea to show J!4 alpha compatibility is very positive and seems to have already created a snowball effect.

sozzled wrote:I asked for information about which extensions may fall into this category and we haven't heard back.
Go to https://extensions.joomla.org - Browse Extensions - Compatible with J4 Alpha:

JED-J4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:48 am

Uh, yes, but ...

You know and I know what extensions are listed with the "J !4 ALPHA" tag but that wasn't my point. My point was in relation to the claim that the OP claimed—without supporting examples to substantiate the claim—that they had "several ... J! 4 Alpha [extensions that purported] to be approved [by the JED]" and we've had no examples of these.

I also made a personal observation that I think, in these early days of J! 4 development, that "J !4 ALPHA" tagged extensions should be treated with suspicion and, in any event, if developers misrepresent their extensions in any way, that people should (1) contact the developers to verify such claims and (2) failing that, people should report these extensions to the JED team.

Just saying that there "several ... JED Alpha 4 [extensions]" exist, that may or may not be actually compatible with J! 4 [at the current stage of J! 4 development], is a meaningless assertion not backed up with any evidence. But thank you, anyway, @toivo, for your thoughts; having the JED list "J !4 ALPHA" may be a positive experience for some. Certainly, some extension developers may consider that using the "J !4 ALPHA" tag could create the impression that their extensions are better than other extensions. That's a matter of debate, apparently.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:39 am

sozzled wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:59 am
This is completely off-topic to the discussion. It might be better, if you want to make suggestions about how to improve the JED's "reviews" functions, by posting your comments to viewtopic.php?f=262&t=973003. Not that I care much about JED reviews; I wish that the JED reviews feature was completely abolished
sozzled wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:41 pm
darb wrote:
Like what? Which ones? Give examples, please. This also seems to be off-topic from the discussion (not that I particularly care about J! 4 compatibility at this time).
@sozzeled Didn’t you read my previous posts about my suggestions for improvements? JED reviews are very good whatever value you give it bcs users can read between the lines and do their own analysis of what is said.

People are not stupid.

I have done this only testing with few of my 3pds extensions with the Cloudaccess Joomla great 4 demo free access viewtopic.php?f=805&t=973965?

And I don’t know how this has changed now for using CloudAccess or for these 3pds Joomla 4 alpha validations. I just wonder how Joomla can claim that these extensions have Joomla alpha 4 validations comparing that the validation of “Last updated” that was abandoned.

mbabker wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:08 pm
darb wrote:
For about the thousandth time, I will repeat myself. Being listed on the JED does NOT mean accreditation, it does NOT mean the extension is reviewed by the JED team regularly, and realistically a listing on the JED basically only means "my extension is GPL compatible and passes some basic automated code checker" (which said checker in and of itself was really poor quality last I looked at it).

Stop treating the JED like it is a source of gospel for all things Joomla extensions. It is far from it. The ONLY thing the JED offers (when it works) over a *insert preferred search engine here* search is the ability to share end user reviews. That is it.
Michael I don’t want to disrespect you on the contrary I follow you on Twitter https://twitter.com/mbabker and respect your good and great Joomla work you have done. Hugs.

I am sorry to see you blaming Joomla people going behind your back, I am not one of them and I really admirer you even I disagree with you sometimes and are wrong in some cases.

”Michael Babker‏ @mbabker 10 sep.
The reason I started ghosting #Joomla is because I was sick and tired of the disrespect people showed me constantly and people talking behind my back or going behind my back to do something without talking to me; that is still happening, and that is why I do nothing but troll now.”

We people must admit that we can agree on that we can disagree. I and others I guess like me take Joomla JED extensions that are listed with data info there as more accreditation that if it’s not allowed to be listed there for whatever reasons and rules that is behind that decision.

All the best! Spread the Joomla love instead of trolling - we are all just people and want to move forward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 am

So, in short, there are known known examples of J! 4 extensions listed on the JED that are not "approved" or "compatible". Good! Let's leave it at that! 8)

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:08 am

Hi Anibal thanks very much for adding back Last updated but I dont know why you changed that to "Recently updated" ? https://extensions.joomla.org/browse/recently-updated/

It doesnt work as expected to show the "Last updated" extensions and I dont know why very old extensions shows up first in the filter there must be some misconfiguration of the filter.

See attachment of the example of the first extension "BlastChat" https://extensions.joomla.org/browse/recently-updated/ there that is "Last updated" from Mars 13 2016.
LastUpdated2.jpg

andiamine
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andiamine » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Yes last update doesn't work , display old updated extensions not recently updated extensions

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:44 am

andiamine wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:36 pm
Yes last update doesn't work , display old updated extensions not recently updated extensions

Yes the "Recently updated" does not show the latest updated extensions.

It have wrong search parameters for last updated extensions.. :eek:

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:04 pm

The last updated = Recently updated is back but the filter doesnt work to filter the latest updated first in the list so it would be good if this could be fixed asap Anibal.

Tkks for your work there! :)

https://github.com/joomla/jed-issues/issues/121

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:21 am

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:32 pm

The search filter for "Recently updated" ( Last updated ) seems to work now! :D :D :D :D :D

Pls test and see if it works now for you too. https://extensions.joomla.org/browse/recently-updated/

https://github.com/joomla/jed-issues/issues/121

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:22 pm

Here is an exampl how bad this JED works regarding keeping track of changes for "Recently updated" https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... l-cookies/ is telling us that this is an update version of 3.1.4 Last updated: Jul 06 2020

But its not bcs you can check the xml code the last update is 3.1.6 but very old and see the changes..why cant we do this so it works for Joomla community? Its bcs there is 3pds developers that control how this should be done and managed! I so fk tired of not fixing this easy to fix thing!

viewtopic.php?f=262&t=979574
viewtopic.php?f=262&t=973003

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”