People Cannot Leave Reviews

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
TheMuffinMan
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

People Cannot Leave Reviews

Post by TheMuffinMan » Sat May 30, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi @all,

Hope everyone's fine!

The majority users of my extensions are facing issues when trying to leave reviews.

Most of them get that "Security Check" error upon submitting a review and aren't able to leave one.

This seems to affect many people, at least the ones that reported this back to me are a significant number. I can only guess, but my impression is only 1 to 2 out 10 who is trying, is actually able to successfully post a review.

It also doesn't help if they switch from or to mobile connections. The problem is permanent once it occurs.

As I see other extension developers don't face this problem, at least not to this extent, I'd like to ask if someone from the team could please have look into this?

[EDIT] The issue at github is closed but no solution has been given so I am not sure if this has been looked at any further or what the resolution should be:
https://github.com/joomla/jed-issues/issues/85

Thanks & Regards,
Markus

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: People Cannot Leave Reviews

Post by gws » Sat May 30, 2020 4:06 pm

TheMuffinMan
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TheMuffinMan » Sat May 30, 2020 4:40 pm

@gws
Thank you pointing me there. I am for sure not alone but just recently I noticed extensions that get reviews on a daily basis. I assume this must be something location based then? (most of "my" users are european).

TheMuffinMan
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TheMuffinMan » Sat May 30, 2020 4:50 pm

follow up: a user just reported after disabling his local apache he could at least login (don't know about the review yet). I will try working out a checklist with my users until J4 and the new review system will be available.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sat May 30, 2020 8:36 pm

TheMuffinMan wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:50 pm
I will try working out a checklist with my users until J4 and the new review system will be available.
... in six months' time (based on latest estimates).

TheMuffinMan wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:40 pm
I am for sure not alone but just recently I noticed extensions that get reviews on a daily basis. I assume this must be something location based then? (most of "my" users are European).
There could be many explanations why some extensions receive new reviews on a daily basis. One may be a little cynical, perhaps, but it's interesting that some extensions (costing $50 or more) get lots of reviews whereas other extensions (costing nothing) get no reviews. I wonder why that is the case? I doubt that the success/failure rate for reviews are geographically biased.

We've had this discussion many times before. It's one of the most popular subject of discussion (and complaints) about the JED. There was even a discussion about whether the JED should have a review system (!) ... but nothing came of that: the discussion simply died and things went ahead in spite of the community's feedback about the proposal. To put it another way, when we "reviewed" the JED review system, our views were ignored.

I have given up on the value of reviews (whether for software, home appliances, restaurants, or just about anything) because reviews are motivated for all kinds of subjective reasons including payment for reviews, promotional campaigns asking people to "review" something, or attempting to stifle a competitor's business. I believe that, when I leave a review about a product, my opinions are honest. That's really all I can say.

I haven't had problems creating a review and posting it on the JED; I have had problems when someone doesn't like what I've written and my review is subsequently removed; you have to be careful what you write in your reviews.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

TheMuffinMan
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TheMuffinMan » Sun May 31, 2020 8:52 am

@sozzled

It is normal that if you're a commercial dev, you usually put more effort in people leaving reviews, e.g through support, that's also why you see a gap between the two. You are usually more committed to give good support through a sales promise. Often results in faster response times, more detailed replies etc. On the other hand, if you get sick as a commercial dev for let's say 2 weeks, it can also go the other way very quickly.

However, another user reported to me yesterday that if you leave a review for a free listing, it shows a rating of 76% because the "Value for Money" option is not available (of course) but is still counted as "-1".

I don't know at this point if this is a display bug or if it adds to the overall calculation in the end. I am going to check if this has been reported at github already.

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”