J4 alpha in JED

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
JurajB
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

J4 alpha in JED

Post by JurajB » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:24 pm

Hellou!
Why is in JED alpha extensions ? Its beta now.
Thanks.
Last edited by toivo on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from J4 related, retitled
https://gurutesting.tech - For cooperative testing, learn Joomla!, explore JoomlaExtesnsionsDirectory (JED), fun and friends Joomlers! write here.
testers@gurutesting.tech

anibal_sanchez
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: alpha in JED

Post by anibal_sanchez » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:40 pm

Hi,

You are right. The past weekend I didn't find the time to create the new label for J4 Beta. It is coming :geek:

Best Regards
@anibal_sanchez - http://blog.anibalhsanchez.com

JED Team Leader

JurajB
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: alpha in JED

Post by JurajB » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:18 am

There is only one way:
Its to save the work of ext devs and keep them alpha compatibility.
Enable second step compatibility as beta 1.
Alpha compatibility may and may not work with actual beta.
https://gurutesting.tech - For cooperative testing, learn Joomla!, explore JoomlaExtesnsionsDirectory (JED), fun and friends Joomlers! write here.
testers@gurutesting.tech

anibal_sanchez
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: J4 alpha in JED

Post by anibal_sanchez » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:09 pm

Hi,

I've just added the J4 Beta version to the site.

Best Regards

JED Team Leader

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: J! compatibility "badges" in the JED

Post by sozzled » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:32 pm

As a general comment (with no negative reflection on the JED team whatsoever), what do these compatibility badges mean? See the screenshot below:
jedCompatibilityBadges.png
This is what these badges mean to me (and other people may have their own interpretation):

"The extension may have been tested, at one time or another, with a version of J! and the extension may have worked, at one time or another, with that version of J! The Joomla Extension Directory does not claim that this product currently works with this/these version(s) of J!. If you have questions about whether this product works with your version of J! then you should ask the developer. If you feel that the developer has misrepresented their product to be compatible with one, or more, version(s) of J! then you may report the listing to the JED team.

"The star-rating and number of reviews is not a recommendation or endorsement by the JED that the product is good or not. The JED team has no way of knowing if the reviews for this product are genuine or not. If you feel that the star-rating or genuineness of the reviews for this product are in question, you may report the listing to the JED team.

"The compatibility of this product with the version(s) of J! that it has been tagged with, together with the star-rating and number of reviews, is not to be interpreted as an endorsement by the JED team in terms of the product's fitness of purpose for anything."

I cannot speak for other developers who may have a different understanding of the role of the Joomla Extension Directory. As a consumer, I interpret "reviews", "star ratings" and "compatibility" tags with a grain of salt. If they work then that's good. If they don't work then that's just the way things go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:33 pm

anibal_sanchez wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:09 pm
I've just added the J4 Beta version to the site.
@anibal_sanchez, do you mean that J4 Beta compatibility has been added as an option to be selected in the form that extension developers use to submit their extensions to JED?

Previously the JED home page had Alpha compatibility option in the dropdown under 'Browse Extensions'. Now that is gone. Instead, after Search is clicked in the menu, we can now select 'Joomla 4 Alpha' under Compatibility.

If extension developers can't be requested to submit updates and new versions to JED, if that is the policy, should the checkbox under Compatibility be changed to just 'Joomla 4'? It would be then up to the visitor to check the badges from the search result, whether a particular extension is or was compatible with '4 Alpha', '4 Beta' or just '4'? The '4' badge could be granted only after the general release.

jed-compatibility.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: J! compatibility "badges" in the JED

Post by sozzled » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:59 pm

toivo wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:33 pm
If extension developers can't be requested to submit updates and new versions to JED, if that is the policy, ...
I don't think that has ever been a policy in relation to the question about an extension's compatibility with one version of J! vs. another.

It is standard practice that, if a developer updates the version(s) of their product(s), to update their listings and provide the source code to the JED who can check that the product meets the necessary compliance requirements (e.g. licensing, copyright, naming, etc.).

As a developer, I will only consider using a "3" or "4" badge after J! has been released as stable because too many things can change between early development releases the stable release.

As a consumer, it makes no difference to me what compatibility tag is give to listings in the JED. I use products in the JED because I have a need for them and when they work, not because of the number of stars, the reviews or these tags.

I see that the developer's submission form adds an extra checkbox labelled "J! 4 Beta".

I also note that the JED search tool does not have a "J!4 Beta" option, yet.

Have a look at the image in my previous post. I wonder where the label "4.1" came from?

toivo wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:33 pm
It ... [is] up to the visitor to check the badges from the search result, whether a particular extension is or was compatible with '4 Alpha', '4 Beta' or just '4'?
I agree. The TL;DR of what I'm saying is this:
These badges mean whatever people want them to mean.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

anibal_sanchez
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by anibal_sanchez » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:42 am

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

About the '4.1', it was a bug. Yesterday I applied the changed and I forgot to check how the card displayed the value. Now, it shows 'J4 Beta'.

Since Joomla 4 is not released yet, J4 Alpha and Beta are shown on the site as a way to encourage the developers to submit J4 Beta compatible extensions. Of course, they will be removed as soon as the stable version is published.

I've just published the new "Compatible with J4 Beta" query in the "Browse Extensions" menu.

Best Regards

JED Team Leader

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:05 am

Thanks, @anibal_sanchez!
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”