Question on Joomla components for piano teacher

Topics having to do with education can be discussed here.
joomlearn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Question on Joomla components for piano teacher

Post by joomlearn » Tue May 29, 2007 11:23 am

Hi all,

Sorry if I post this question in a wrong place. I think this might be the best place to raise my question.

I am helping my friend to set up a website for his students. My friend is a piano teacher offering individual class to his students. These classes are vary from student to student. Some are young kids and some are adults. He wants to post class notes for each student so that each student can log to the website to see the note of each class. The students and the teacher can also look back into the old notes evaluating the improvement of each student. Each student can only see the notes that the teacher left for him/her, and has no right to look into other students' class notes. Teacher has all the rights of create, edit, maybe also delete all existing notes. (Something like customized newsletter plus blog function with access control?)

Maybe also a function for student to ask questions based on teacher's note, and the teacher can answer the questions to individual student.(Like a comment and ticket function hybrid)

Is there anything like this? I am pretty new to this and without any coding experience/skill. Can I still do this?

steveoc
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Question on Joomla components for piano teacher

Post by steveoc » Tue May 29, 2007 2:09 pm

joomlearn wrote: Hi all,

Sorry if I post this question in a wrong place. I think this might be the best place to raise my question.

I am helping my friend to set up a website for his students. My friend is a piano teacher offering individual class to his students. These classes are vary from student to student. Some are young kids and some are adults. He wants to post class notes for each student so that each student can log to the website to see the note of each class. The students and the teacher can also look back into the old notes evaluating the improvement of each student. Each student can only see the notes that the teacher left for him/her, and has no right to look into other students' class notes. Teacher has all the rights of create, edit, maybe also delete all existing notes. (Something like customized newsletter plus blog function with access control?)

Maybe also a function for student to ask questions based on teacher's note, and the teacher can answer the questions to individual student.(Like a comment and ticket function hybrid)

Is there anything like this? I am pretty new to this and without any coding experience/skill. Can I still do this?
I'd say that Moodle would be somewhat better suited out of the box for the functionality that you seek. It's free and open source. http://moodle.org

Steve

joomlearn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joomlearn » Wed May 30, 2007 6:43 pm

steveoc wrote:
I'd say that Moodle would be somewhat better suited out of the box for the functionality that you seek. It's free and open source. http://moodle.org

Steve
Can the moodle being integrated with joomla? I mean using joomla user management function? And without too much coding?

Thanks!

steveoc
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by steveoc » Wed May 30, 2007 7:30 pm

joomlearn wrote:
steveoc wrote:

Steve
Can the moodle being integrated with joomla? I mean using joomla user management function? And without too much coding?

Thanks!
Last I knew there was a seriously flawed attempt at a bridge. There may be something new as I haven't checked in several months, but I don't see anything in the Joomla extensions directory. You could check moodle.org . I wrapped a moodle installation with my Joomla site, but log ins are separate--which is fine as my students using Moodle are not generally Joomla content providers.

Moodle is the Learning Center at my school's Joomla site: http://wellscsd.com

Steve

gebby3346
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gebby3346 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:11 am

You use docman which allows you to set up groups for document categories. Set each kid up as a category and only allow them access. There is also a docman theme with a mombot that will allow you access to upload documents from the frontend. The only problems with this solution is that it is not a joomla content solution but documents would need to be created in, for example word, and uploaded each time. This would only allow the proper user to download specific files.

Eric G
http://www.newfrontierscharter.org

freedomfighter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by freedomfighter » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:09 am

is it good components?
i would try it

Return to “Schools and Universities”