Slowness of the administration back end.

Discussion regarding Joomla! Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jalaljoblo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Slowness of the administration back end.

Post by jalaljoblo » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:55 pm

Hi every body,

(Make a sellection from the list to delete...)

This is the message I get when attempting to uninstall one of my components, any component. which makes me helpless in getting rid of some coms that might be causing the slowness of my site.

Another problem I 'm struggling with is the the slowness in getting into my back end, it really takes a long time to the point of making me loose my patience, but then, it will spped up a bit after refreshing the cach by deleting the offline content. Same thing happens in Firefox and IE.

Any tip will be appreciated.
Jalal
Last edited by jalaljoblo on Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jalal joblo

PhilTaylor-Prazgod
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Slowness of the adminstration back end.

Post by PhilTaylor-Prazgod » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:47 pm

to fix slowness disable any wysiwyg editors in global configuration
Phil Taylor - Full Time Joomla/PHP Security Expert
Blue Flame Digital Solutions Limited.
-- https://myJoomla.com/ Multi Award Winning Joomla Security & Auditing Service
-- https://www.phil-taylor.com/

jalaljoblo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jalaljoblo » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:49 pm

Thanks Phil for the quick reply, but how would I edit the contents if I do disable the mosCE or simialr others, I mean I could manage doing the editing my self from the backend but what about my other assigned authors?? disabling the wycwyg will leave them blind since they rely on it... Is there other solution.

Regards
jalal joblo

PhilTaylor-Prazgod
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by PhilTaylor-Prazgod » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:01 pm

jalaljoblo wrote: Thanks Phil for the quick reply, but how would I edit the contents if I do disable the mosCE or simialr others, I mean I could manage doing the editing my self from the backend but what about my other assigned authors?? disabling the wycwyg will leave them blind since they rely on it... Is there other solution.

Regards
There is no other solution if the problem is caused byu the loading of all that javascript that runs mosCE!
Phil Taylor - Full Time Joomla/PHP Security Expert
Blue Flame Digital Solutions Limited.
-- https://myJoomla.com/ Multi Award Winning Joomla Security & Auditing Service
-- https://www.phil-taylor.com/

ppmax
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ppmax » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:24 am

Thought this would be appropriate in this thread because of extreme slowness of logging in...

I think I'm having some possibly self-inflicted admin login in probs. I added a php include("file"); in the public index.php file that calls a function that grabs a bunch of images in a directory and stuffs these paths into an array. In my function, to make sure that no existing session arrays or variables exist i do a session_destroy();  I know: I should only destroy the session vars i create! (i was lazy...)

I cant quite pinpoint it, but it seems like my admin login probs started after I added this code. Did I destroy some necessary session data by calling session_destroy()??

Also--what are the consequences of deleting all the records in mos_session?

Thanks for the help--I need it!

ppmax
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ppmax » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:54 am

Just wanted to report back: I found the problem and it's mamboforge.

If you have the administrator mamboforge module published your will take forever to load if mamboforge.net goes down. The simple fix was to unpublish the mamboforge administrator module and all is happy again.

Hope this saves some hair pulling for anyone admining tonight...

jalaljoblo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Slowness of the administration back end.

Post by jalaljoblo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:42 pm

Thanks ppmax , but still its slow. I will wait and see what version 4.3 will bring.
Last edited by jalaljoblo on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jalal joblo

Shinab812
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Shinab812 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:56 pm

ppmax wrote: Just wanted to report back: I found the problem and it's mamboforge.

If you have the administrator mamboforge module published your will take forever to load if mamboforge.net goes down. The simple fix was to unpublish the mamboforge administrator module and all is happy again.
I concure. On Friday, after optimizing & repairing databases, a few tech support calls to host & ISP, modding root/index.php, and unpublishing Kl_php, I tried to FTP all original files into the root. After a couple of abortive attempts over a dial-up, I went to get the latest patch. Mamboforge was down. On Saturday it was up and I got patch 4.5.2.3. Updated again, (completely), and all worked OK. Sunday: The problem came back, mamboforge is down again. After a few tries, I was finnaly able get in to the back end and I unpublished the mamboforge adminsitration module and all is OK again.

The Mambo forums were of no help. You guys rock!

In the future, what about not tying the feed so tight to the admin CP, or not making it a default? (This may even be a bug report, If I can find that here). Observation: Once you get into the back end the "Logged" list shows sessions for each time out, so the Auth seems to execute, but the hang occurs in the connection to the project news.

While its nice to see whats going on with projects, It is much more important that the back end works.
Last edited by Shinab812 on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The problems we face will not be solved by the same minds that created them. - Albert Einstein

stingrey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by stingrey » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:53 pm

Shinab812 wrote: In the future, what about not tying the feed so tight to the admin CP, or not making it a default? (This may even be a bug report, If I can find that here). Observation: Once you get into the back end the "Logged" list shows sessions for each time out, so the Auth seems to execute, but the hang occurs in the connection to the project news.
I believe this was fixed in Mambo 4.5.2.x as it was discovered (exactly as you found) that if you could not access mamboforge or it was down it would slow if not totally hang the backend.

If you upgraded from a lesser version this will not have been solved for you.

However I am fairly sure that for a clean install of Mambo 4.5.2 the mamboforge backend syndication module is now unpublished by default - at least I am faiirly sure I fixed this issue.
Rey Gigataras
http://www.wizmediateam.com <-- great team of talented Web Designers and Programmers!
http://about.me/reygigataras <-- About Me :)
Partner, Business Development & Project Manager, Event Manager, Sports Coach :D

Shinab812
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Shinab812 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:43 pm

stingrey wrote: If you upgraded from a lesser version this will not have been solved for you.

However I am fairly sure that for a clean install of Mambo 4.5.2 the mamboforge backend syndication module is now unpublished by default - at least I am faiirly sure I fixed this issue.
Thanks! This is probably the problem. My site's been up for a while, and I've been patching since Jan. 2005. I didn't want do a clean install due to number of components and customizations implimented.

I'd hate to think that I'd need to reinstall the whole shebang "clean" in order to keep current. I am hoping that the proposed update feature will help with this.
Last edited by Shinab812 on Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The problems we face will not be solved by the same minds that created them. - Albert Einstein

stingrey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by stingrey » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:58 pm

Shinab812 wrote: I'd hate to think that I'd need to reinstall the whole shebang "clean" in order to keep current. I am hoping that the proposed update feature will help with this.
Normally you dont, but in this circumstance for this particular problem it cant be solved by merely patching.

If for example the patch included a change in the database unpublishing the module, people who did use the module and foudn it useful might suddenly wonder why the module seemingly had disappeared (when in fact it had been unpublished, by the upgrade patch).

Its one of those difficult things were a choice needs to be made and back than I obvisouly chose not to unpublish the module in the patching process.

For Joomla 1.0 I will correct this as the module will no lionger be pointing to the correct place.
Rey Gigataras
http://www.wizmediateam.com <-- great team of talented Web Designers and Programmers!
http://about.me/reygigataras <-- About Me :)
Partner, Business Development & Project Manager, Event Manager, Sports Coach :D

gloreal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Slowness of the administration back end.

Post by gloreal » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:57 am

Hi Stingrey,
kindly help me out in this issue.
my site time out and takes me back to the admin login page when I try to use the multiple add button of the phocaGallery.
I have increased the session to 30, funy enough, the site does not time out when I am using other features from the admin back end, except when I try upload pictures or assign pictures to categories.

Thanks.

Return to “Performance - 1.0.x”