Manual install

Discuss and receive support for the integration of CiviCRM and Joomla!
gjj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Manual install

Post by gjj » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:44 pm

Is there a document that covers a manual install of Civicrm for Joomla.

I cannot get the component to install - even by uploadnig th epackage and using install from the directory on the server. I'm using 1and 1 hosting, and despite using a php.ini in the joomla directory that overides the global settings, I'm having no luck getting this installed.

Code: Select all

[PHP]
upload_max_filesize = 20M
max_execution_time = 200
memory_limit = 100M
post_max_size = 12M
Unfortunaltly , changing host is not an option either!

Is there a way to install the civicrm part, and the joomla bridge part separatl;y. I know the upload time is an issue, but there doesn't really seem to be a 'solid' solution apart from cvhanging the php parameters. Perhaps there should be another way?

regards

Gareth
Gareth

gjj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Manual install

Post by gjj » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:57 am

Well, thought about this and fixed it myself.

1. Upload the com_civicrm files to the server, as indicated in http://wiki.civicrm.org/confluence/disp ... +Installer
2. create a directory in /joomla1.0.10/administrator/components/ called com_civicrm
3. move the civicrm directory from com_civicrm to /joomla1.0.10/administrator/components/com_civicrm/
4. edit the civicrm.xml file in the install directory, and remove all the files in the administration section that start with civicrm (you don't need to copy these now, as you've already done that in step 3 above. the administration section now looks like:

<administration>
    <menu>CiviCRM</menu>
                <submenu>
                        <menu task="civicrm/contact/search&reset=1">Find Contacts</menu>
                        <menu task="civicrm/group&reset=1">Manage Groups</menu>
                        <menu task="civicrm/import&reset=1">Import Contacts</menu>
                        <menu task="civicrm/contribute&reset=1">CiviContribute</menu>
                        <menu task="civicrm/admin&reset=1">Administer CiviCRM</menu>
                </submenu>
    <files>
      <filename>admin.civicrm.php</filename>
      <filename>toolbar.civicrm.php</filename>
      <filename>install.civicrm.php</filename>
      <filename>uninstall.civicrm.php</filename>
      <filename>configure.php</filename>

</files>
  </administration>
5. Now install the package using the install from directory technique mentioned above in 1.
:)  seems to work for me - now going to configure it....

regards

Gareth
Gareth

lobo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lobo » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:25 pm

excellent, keep us updated on your progress. would be great if you could write up some instructions on the wiki (wiki.civicrm.org) when u r up and running :)

regards

lobo

elkuku
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by elkuku » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:00 pm

Thanx alot... worked for me  :)

bmw
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bmw » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:49 pm

Hi, Lobo!  Bruce here from GreenCampaigns.com
Having a bit of trouble with a Joomla install on a standard host.  I had it working for some time but hadn't upgraded in a while so decided to do it.

Since there wasn't any data that I needed to keep I decided to uninstall and do a fresh installation.  Made sure all com_civicrm folders were deleted from /components and /administrator/components/.

I tried the latest revision #6462M.  I cannot do a regular component install with this hoster so I uploaded the file and unzipped on the server.  I have all-world permission open. 

I then pointed the path in the component installation area of Joomla and clicked on install.

After about 30 seconds, I get a blank page.  Hit refresh and then I get a different message for each try.

For each try that has an error or success, the installation listing shows it was installed and CiviCRM is listed in the Component drop-down menu. Choosing anything in the menu and I get a blank page.

Please advise.
Thank you in advance.

Thanx.
Bruce Wolfe

P.S. We should talk offline this week about some other things pertaining to user interface and interaction.  Let me know at [email protected].

lobo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lobo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:04 pm

hey bruce:

since u r getting an error message every 30 seconds, most likely your hoster has the default php max execution time limit set to 30 seconds. Would be good to increase this to approx 300 seconds to so during the installation process (since there is a lot of disk actvity and copying of fairly large files going around). The installation process is controlled by joomla, and am not certain where is the best place to increase this limit (other than php.ini which u might not have access to). the specific line u can add to the joomla file is:

ini_set( 'memory_limit', '64M' );                                                                     
ini_set( 'max_execution_time', 1200 );                                                                   

regarding the UI / workflow etc, would be great to have the discussion on our mailing list (http://lists.civicrm.org, maling list civicrm-dev). if u'd like to chat on phone/skype/in-person let me know and we can set up a date/time etc

lobo

bmw
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bmw » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:35 am

Yes, that worked but now another problem arises whether doing a standard install or manual.
I get an error and failed installation that it couldn't copy file to /media.  I tried several revisions to no avail.
More advice, please.
Thanx in advance.
Bruce

lobo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lobo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:04 pm

couple of other reasons could probably trigger that error (its a joomla error, not a civicrm error)

1. can u check the amount of disk space u have available
2. can u check permissions on /media

thanx

lobo

cma01
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cma01 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:29 am

I am trying to install CiviCrm 1.5 on a clean install of Joomla 1.0.10.

I tried installing it through the component installer and got an error.

I tried uploading it to the com_installer folder as stated in the instructions and doing a directory install and got an internal server error.

I then tried gjj instructions of copying the files to the administrator components folder, deleting those files from the xml file in the installer and installing from the directory and still received an error.

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.36 Server at sr19.servermatrix.host Port 80
Where should I go from here?

lobo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lobo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:08 pm

most likely your server does not allocate enough memory to php or the execution time needs to be increased

you can make this change in your php.ini file or u could add these 2 statements to the right joomla file (maybe config?)

ini_set( 'memory_limit', '256M' );

lobo

cma01
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cma01 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:47 pm

Awesome! It worked putting in the config file.

Thanks so much for your help and the speedy reply!

I thought I had subscribed to the thread, but I never got a notification and I was just coming back to do more searching for a fix and here the answer was.

dailyrebellions
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dailyrebellions » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:01 am

when it worked for you, (i am having the same problem ... grrr...) where in the config.php file where you putting it? at the very end?  I am still new to php...

thanks so much folks!
cma01 wrote: Awesome! It worked putting in the config file.

Thanks so much for your help and the speedy reply!

I thought I had subscribed to the thread, but I never got a notification and I was just coming back to do more searching for a fix and here the answer was.

cma01
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cma01 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:07 am

I put it right after the <?php at the top of the file in the main Joomla configuration file (configuration.php).

rookey
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by rookey » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:53 am

Hello,

I did the same with civicrm-joomla-php5-1.5-rev7265.zip - and setup worked fine after some difficulties (I had to adjust the settings as well and copy everything manually  :'()

Now when I enter configuration of civicrm in Admin panel, I get the following error message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in [..]/administrator/components/com_civicrm/civicrm/CRM/Core/Config.php on line 57
Any idea what I can do?

lobo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lobo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:32 pm

i assuming u r running a php4 server but installed a php5 version of civicrm

lobo

rookey
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by rookey » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:29 pm

you're the man - indeed!  :-[ :-[ :-[

thanks a lot for your help!!!
r.

eboniface
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eboniface » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:23 am

Hello,

I was full of energy installing civiCRM regarding the good comments on extensions.joomla.org... but really I am now disappointed !
I download the latest version for PHP4 (1.5 rev 7265). I unzip it, and then I ftped it to my site... 32MB, very cool :-(.
Firstly of course, I tried to install it like a normal component... of course, it failed.

So I came here and saw this post... So I moved everything manually from civicrm to /administrator/com_civicrm/civicrm, I also move files to /administrator/com_civicrm according to the XML file. I then edited the XML file to only let in the administration part the menu setup.
Then, I installed the component... and I got a ugly screeen telling me that installation is successful (GREAT !), followed by lines like these below (not so great finally) - I change the full path to /PATH.

I try to put civicrm.settings.php files manually in /components/com_civicrm and to /administrator/compo*/com_civicrm... but still the same issue.
So, after hours of tests, does anyone have an idea ?
The host configuration : MySQL 5.0.25, PHP 4.4.3, Joomla 1.0.11, safe_mode is on (my provider setup).

The main strength of Joomla is its component/modules/bots management and availability. If civiCRM claims to be a Joomla component, then it has to enforce its setup phase.
For instance, why the l10n translations are included in the package ? 14MB ! One solution is to include only one language and then to let the user download new ones if needed.
Ok, I know it is easier to criticize than help :-)... may be I can ? :-)

Warning: main(civicrm.settings.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /PATH/administrator/components/com_civicrm/admin.civicrm.php on line 7

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'civicrm.settings.php' for inclusion (include_path='/PATH/include:.:/usr/php4/lib/php') in /PATH/administrator/components/com_civicrm/admin.civicrm.php on line 7

Warning: main() [function.main]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/php4/lib/php/PEAR.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/PATH/) in /PATH/administrator/components/com_civicrm/admin.civicrm.php on line 9

Warning: main(PEAR.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /PATH/administrator/components/com_civicrm/admin.civicrm.php on line 9

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'PEAR.php' (include_path='/PATH/include:.:/usr/php4/lib/php') in /PATH/administrator/components/com_civicrm/admin.civicrm.php on line 9
Last edited by eboniface on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rookey
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by rookey » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:54 pm

I'm very disappointed by this "component" (which to me looks more like a standalone program "pressed" to fit into Joomla ..somehow), too, which is one reason why I didn't use it so far.

The "translation" demonstrates best what I mean: as you said, it's an extremely resource-wasting approach to include 99 translations of which the typical user just needs 1 or 2, and then, even more important, just provide a very fractioned translation which doesn't even provide the most basic a translation should contain: correct display of the special characters a language has! I run a website in German, and CiviCRM doesn't even display German umlauts correctly! Instead umlauts, it displays 2 "chaos" characters which completely mess up the display and look amateurish. I'm far from being a whiner - usually I do my best to help getting things fixed, especially at FW/OS programs, but in this case it's just too much.
What I'm missing most is a step-by-step instruction about how to construct a basic profile page and get things rolling like on the demo website - the "setup" (I wouldn't call it "setup" what this component provides, rather a routine to keep users away) isn't very helpful in getting such things together, too. Keeping all that in mind, I couldn't help laughing about finding a separate configuration section just and only for the user's sex (!) - in which one finds a "Transgender" selection option. Truly amazing...

rookey

lobo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lobo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:15 pm

eboniface:

i would strongly recommend using the component installer rather than the manual installer.

CiviCRM works across Joomla/Mambo/Drupal/SOAP and as such packages everything. we will consider moving the language packs out for the next distribution since that is a substantial part of the package

we can help you out on IRC. You could help by coming out with a more fool-proof/simpler install system

lobo

lobo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lobo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm

hey rookey:

sorry to hear u r disappointed. You can help with the german translation and make it looks more professional. Do sign up for the civicrm-translators list at http://lists.civicrm.org/ and offer your translation services

setting up a profile is documented here:

http://wiki.civicrm.org/confluence/disp ... ambo+Sites

lobo

eboniface
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eboniface » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:46 pm

Hi lobo,

for your information, I try to use the component installer for the overall package, but after that I only had some files, the installation was not complete. But the installer told me that it was succesful - except of course the warning and error below the success message.
So, I decide to install the civicrm manually and after that the "bridge" part using the component installer.

Eric.

lobo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lobo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:34 pm

eric:

yes, but our ability to support the manual install is limited / non-existent, since i've never tried it, and am not planning to either

note that quite a few folks have gotten the automated installer to work with enough memory, an extended execution time limit and ensuring that your ftp client transferred all the php files

if u still have issues, u might want to consider getting help from some of the folks at: http://civicrm.org/professional

lobo

redhubcap
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by redhubcap » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:56 pm

I am using 1and1 as a host what could I be doing wrong?

also you cannot with 1and1 raise the php memory limit with any sort of file it does not work should I try another server
has anyone using 1and1 gotten this component to work?

I tired the work around with the xml file and it installed with one error message below it. 

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****_
Install Successful

CiviCRM has been successfully installed.
Installation: Succesful
Cannot open /homepages/26/d177738234/htdocs/myocaf/administrator/components/com_civicrm/civicrm/civicrm.config.php

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****

Then when I try to go to Administer the component it says this:

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'CRM/Core/Config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /homepages/26/d177738234/htdocs/myocaf/administrator/components/com_civicrm/admin.civicrm.php on line 11

will this work on 1and1s servers?

slhawk98
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slhawk98 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:28 am

I have cheched quit a few posts but not successful in getting Joomla 1.011 & CiviCRM 1.5 php4 to work.
I get the successful install messaage only when installng manually. The CRM menu is available on the component menu but I get blank screen no matter which CRM feature I choose.

Local PC Install:
Joomla 1.011
CiviCRM 1.5 php4
Apache 1.3.33
PHP 4.3.10
MySQL 4.1.9

I also tried
ini_set( 'memory_limit', '256M' );

but its not clear what config file these lines should be placed in.

lobo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lobo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:49 pm

slhawk98, redhubcap et al:

we have no idea why some of the joomla installs are failing. if the component is important and meet your needs i'd recommend hiring a consultant to deploy it for you. The list is available at: http://civicrm.org/professional/

for joomla, we'd recommend Web access india ltd

lobo

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:07 pm

Gareth's solution worked for me after failure on both Mambo 4.6.1 and Joomla 1.0.11. I've had a hard time getting it to work with earlier versions of Mambo but found other solutions online in the past that worked it out. I've never had it work via the component installers on any version of Mambo.

kenlyle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kenlyle » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:42 pm

A slightly simpler way to upload the files than given by Gareth, the thread starter:

Just upload the .zip file to / administrator / components / and unzip it.  If you use cPanel, this is trivial, just select the file, and Extract File Contents in the right hand column.

MOD: I thought this sounded odd, but I was just following instructions, to get the thing working.  As Lobo points out below, and mcsmom says:"I suggest using the normal joomla! installation directory, which is /administrator/components/com_installer/component" - which is likely smarter.

Thanks to everybody who's gotten it this far.

Ken
Last edited by kenlyle on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:41 pm

Hey all,

Just a small thing, but make sure that whereever you unzip you preserve the cases of the file and directory names.

Also some hosts (lunarpages is one  >:() do not support the mysql table types used by civicrm, but thus far I have gotten by by changing everything to isam.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

lobo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lobo » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:54 pm

a couple of comments:

1. case is important as elin said

2. i dont think administrator/components is a good place to unzip the file. I think doing it at the top level is better since joomla moves the files to some install directory within administrator/components/com_installer (i think)

3. making the tables myisam from innodb is also not recommended, as you lose a fair amount of referential integrity / checks which innodb provides.

lobo

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:34 am

I'm sure it's not recommended, but what can I do?  I also have to get rid of the default characterset.  :(  This problem doesn't show up until you try to run the sql upgrade though.

I suggest using the normal joomla! installation directory, which is /administrator/components/com_installer/component

It seems to work fine for me.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

Return to “CiviCRM Support”