What does T:4 in the documentation Wiki mean? Topic is solved

Joomla! Documentation Workgroup

Moderator: Documentation

Todor Iliev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

What does T:4 in the documentation Wiki mean?

Post by Todor Iliev » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:53 pm

I found string such this one "<!--T:4-->" in the documentation.
What does it mean? When should I use it?
Last edited by pe7er on Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to better reflect the message
I was lucky – I found what I love to do early in life. « Steven Jobs »

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: What does it mean?

Post by Webdongle » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:06 pm

What documentation?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: What do T:n placeholders do in the Joomla Wiki?

Post by sozzled » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:58 pm

Good question, @Todor Iliev!

(@Webdongle: you need to have an account at docs.joomla.org, login, and view the mediawiki source.)

I don't know the answer but it looks like some local dialect of mediawiki for the J! Wiki. Perhaps there's someone who can point us to the style guide to show people who would like to contribute to the documentation. As far as I can tell, these "<!--T:n-->" things are placed between <translate> [pseudo HTML] tags. Here's an example (taken from part of the source for https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_UNIX_fil ... ns_work%3F):

Code: Select all

<noinclude><languages /></noinclude>
__NOTOC__
<translate><!--T:1--> Unix/Linux file permissions can be confusing. The basic UNIX permissions come in three flavors;</translate>

<translate><!--T:2--> Owner Permissions : Control your own access to files.</translate>
 <translate><!--T:3--> Group Permissions : Control access for you and anyone in your group.</translate>
 <translate><!--T:4--> Other Permissions : Control access for all others.</translate>

<translate><!--T:5--> In Unix, when permissions are configured the server allows you to define different permissions for each of these three categories of users. In a Web server environment permissions are used to control which Web site owners can access which directories and files.</translate>

<translate>=== What do Unix permissions look like? === <!--T:6--></translate>

<translate><!--T:7--> When viewing your files through an FTP client or from the servers command line;</translate>

<translate><!--T:8--> filename.php username usergroup rwx r-x r-x</translate>

<translate><!--T:9--> The first entry is the name of the file, the next entry is your username on the server, the second entry is the group that you are a member of and the last entry is the permissions assigned to that this file (or directory). If you notice, I have intentionally spaced out the permissions section, I have grouped the 9 characters into 3 sets of 3. This separation is key to how the permissions system works. The first set of 3 permissions (rwx) relate to the username seen above, the second set of 3 permissions (r-x) relate to the usergroup seen above and the final set of 3 permissions (r-x) relate to anyone else who is not associated with the username or groupname.</translate>

<translate>==== Owner (User) relates to username ==== <!--T:10--></translate>

<translate><!--T:11--> The Owner (User) is normally you, these permissions will be enforced on your hosting account name.</translate>

<translate>==== Group relates to usergroup ==== <!--T:12--></translate>

<translate><!--T:13--> The Group permissions will be enforced on other people that are in the same group as you, within a hosting environment, there is very rarely other people in the same group as you. This protects your files and directories from being made available to anybody else who may also have a hosting account on the same server as you.</translate>

<translate>==== Other relates to everyone else ==== <!--T:14--></translate>

<translate><!--T:15--> The Other permissions, these will be enforced on anybody else on the server that is either not you or not in your group. So in a Web Serving environment, remembering that no-one else is normally in your group, then this is everybody else accessing the server except for you. Each of the three sets of permissions are defined in the following manner;</translate>

<translate>
 <!--T:16-->
r = Read permissions
 w = Write permissions
 x = Execute permissions
</translate>
In the above example, the numbers were allocated in some ascending sequence but I don't know what those things mean, how they're supposed to be used, or whether they're necessary or important, sorry.

MartijnM
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: What does it mean?

Post by MartijnM » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:12 pm

The numbered tags are generated for translations.
When you write documentation you can add the <translate> <\translate> tags.
The numbers are generated when autorised people mark the document for translation.
After that translators find new parts to translate.

Todor Iliev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: What does T:4 in the documentation Wiki mean?

Post by Todor Iliev » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:56 am

I see. Thank you very much!
I was lucky – I found what I love to do early in life. « Steven Jobs »

Return to “docs.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”