Joomla! Documentation Workgroup

Moderator: Documentation

cleo_sunshine
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Writing components for Joomla! 1.5

Post by cleo_sunshine » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:02 am

Hallo Chris,

have lot of thanks for your support- it's really helpful! I'm new here and I'm starting with Endeleo and I like to create own components. With a demonstration on the site : http://help.joomla.org/content/view/773/125/ you can create an 'helloworld' component, but I have noticed that it doesn't work with Endeleo (Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class patTemplate ). So if you like to write an example to create own components it would be genial!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tanks a lot and have a nice day :)

Bye

Mod Note: Split into new topic because it doesn't relate to templates.
Last edited by ianmac on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:23 pm

For information on writing component for 1.5, look at dev.joomla.org.  There are component tutorials in the developer's wiki.  The MVC tutorial is the most up to date.

Ian

Mike460
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Mike460 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:08 am

All respect for those who have written the tutorials (e.g. HelloWorld etc) on dev.joomla.org.
But these tutorials only scratch the surface and they don't really explain all the classses which
may be used to create anything else which is more advanced than a simple HelloWorld component.

What we need is a more detailed overview of all the classes, not the file structure.
There are tons of tutorials one may find on Google which explain which files to
put where, and so on, to create a simple HellowWorld component.

However, the actual framework in Joomla 1.5 seems to lack a decent documentation.
The API reference on api.joomla.org is automatically generated by phpDocumentor
and not really a true documenation, but just another way of publishing the API files.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 am

Mike460 wrote: All respect for those who have written the tutorials (e.g. HelloWorld etc) on dev.joomla.org.
But these tutorials only scratch the surface and they don't really explain all the classses which
may be used to create anything else which is more advanced than a simple HelloWorld component.
Absolutely...  that isn't the purpose of the hello world tutorials.
What we need is a more detailed overview of all the classes, not the file structure.
There are tons of tutorials one may find on Google which explain which files to
put where, and so on, to create a simple HellowWorld component.

However, the actual framework in Joomla 1.5 seems to lack a decent documentation.
The API reference on api.joomla.org is automatically generated by phpDocumentor
and not really a true documenation, but just another way of publishing the API files.

Yep, and we need more volunteers for that.  Check out the documentation wiki for the API reference that we already have (it needs some updates and isn't complete since it was all hand written, though it has examples for the stuff it does have, so it is often more helpful that api.joomla.org).

Ian

david.ledger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by david.ledger » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:36 am

Any chance of a url for the developers' wiki and the Tutorial pages? Please don't say 'use the search', because it doesn't return anything.

Thanks,
David

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi. Here is one link: http://docs.joomla.org/Developers. If you start at the Documentation home page and then press "Start Here", you get the main Wiki article. Pressing the "Developers" link takes you to the main developers page. What could we do to make this page easier to find? Thanks. Mark
Mark Dexter
"Well...how did I get here?"

david.ledger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by david.ledger » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:42 pm

It's probably a 'divided by a common language' problem. To me, as an English English speaker, what I've seen means "go to http://developer.joomla.org/documentation.html and look for the wiki" rather than "go to http...html which _is_ a wiki'.

Still can't see any tutorials on writing you own Component though. The four tutorials are 'Setting up Joomla! Sites with SVN', 'How to Create a Joomla! Plugin', 'Preventing SQL Injections', and 'Understanding Output Overrides in Joomla! 1.5'; and I havn't got that far yet. Maybe there are more that I havn't found yet.

David

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi. I'm a little confused. The first three links on http://developer.joomla.org/documentation.html would seem to be what you are looking for, especially the third link: http://docs.joomla.org/Category:Development
The 4-part tutorial for working with the model-view-controller is probably a good place to start. If you don't mind buying a book, the book "Mastering Joomla! 1.5 Extension and Framework Development" By James Kennard is a good book. Look in the Shop site for more info.

Also, if you are new to Joomla! development, you might want to learn about template overrides first, since they are a way to modify existing Joomla! without hacking the core files.

Hope this helps. Mark
Mark Dexter

elkuku
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by elkuku » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:06 pm

This one is also focused in Joomla! extension development: EasyCreator

torkil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by torkil » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:20 pm

You can also check out MVC Generator, which is an online tool as well, but is more versatile than the Joomla Component Creator listen above.

irastralia
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Re: Writing components for Joomla! 1.5

Post by irastralia » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 am

these tutorials all seem to use PHP. is there any tutorial for creating JAVA components for joomla?

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:15 am

Joomla! is written using PHP, so virtually all of the components for it also use PHP. If you want to write components in Java, you probably want to find a CMS or framework that is Java based. Good luck. Mark
Mark Dexter

irastralia
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by irastralia » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:23 am

so you mean that it is impossible to write a java component in Joomla?

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi. I'm afraid I don't know enough to answer that question. The way components are normally written such that they are installed as php files in the Joomla! folder structure and are called as php classes and interact with the Joomla! core code as php classes. So in that sense, they obviously have to be php.

On the other hand, there is no reason why you couldn't write Java that works with the same MySQL database and perhaps interacts with the Joomla! platform. But it would be working as an external application to Joomla! in that case.

Again, I am not the best qualified person to answer this question. Good luck. Mark
Mark Dexter

Soren Jensen
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Soren Jensen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Yes it is impossible to write a component in Java. You can write a java applet that can be served by a component but that is about it. Joomla is pure PHP server side.
Soren Beck Jensenhttp://www.component-creator.com/ - Build Joomla Components fast and easy

irastralia
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by irastralia » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:59 pm

hi

thanks for your explanations. can you please let me know if there is any specific version of PHP that is adopted with Joomla!, PHP6, PHP5,..., or it makes no differences?

torkil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by torkil » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:13 am

Just Google "joomla 1.6 php requirement" for instance, and you will find what you're looking for.

irastralia
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by irastralia » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:24 am

thanks

Return to “docs.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”