Joomla install question

Joomla! Documentation Workgroup

Moderator: Documentation

sherriblueberri
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla install question

Post by sherriblueberri » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Hey, I'm a newbie with joomla. I've already created my first site and have it on it's web host.
My burning question is this... I need to create another site for a completely different client and it will be going on a completely different host. Do i need to download joomla again? And if I do, I will lose all of my module and component configs... totally confused here.

siki
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Joomla install question

Post by siki » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Sherry,

You managed to confuse me as well ;)

I don't understand what you would like to do. Would you like to move your existing site to another webhost with your new clients website? or would you like to copy that site for the costumer to another webhost? or just make a brand new installation for the client on a new webhost?

Cheers,
S.
"Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look at what they can do when they stick together." If you have a facebook account then please become a fan at: http://www.facebook.com/webforyou - Web4YOU Facebook fanpage

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:22 pm

Bonjour,

Yes, you will have to "go through the motions" again for your new client on the new host. However, this new install will have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your existing one. If I am correctly understanding your concern about "module and component configs", you do not use any of those anyway; this is a completely new, fresh install. Not sure how you did it the first time, but what I do is to just upload the complete Joomla package ZIP and unZIP it on the server. Create a new, empty database (jot down the host, user name, db name, password) and then start the installation. Takes me about 10 - 15minutes (depending upon how long it takes for the database to get set up ... it's a Go Daddy thing :) ) to create a new site :)

Cheers!
Lyle
@snifflevalve

sherriblueberri
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sherriblueberri » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Hello siki and bonjour lyle!. Yes, my post was confusing, I apologize. I've been scouring the forums and internet for answers all morning and couldn't seem to gather my thoughts. My brain feels like mush and I feel like a complete idiot at this point... this is such a simple thing...but moving forward...

The issue:

Lyle, you got the jist of what I'm asking, but I'm going to explain my situation again, because there's a different way I was thinking about doing this. I want a master install so to speak, of joomla. Where I've already downloaded and configured all of my modules/components that I commonly use and have this "master" joomla base to affect every web site I create. So if I create website one, with all of my components and modules configured, why can't i run website two off the same joomla install so I don't have to re-configure and re-install everything, every time.

My first install process:

I recently created my first site following this process... I downloaded the zip file and opened it into my www folder for wamp. I then went through the set up process and added a photo slide show component/module and a calendar component/module. I then designed the site off of my temp wamp server and then once I was done, I transferred/copied it to the permanent web host. That's the process I went through, step by step.

Creating a second site:

Now I need to create another website. I thought it would be as easy as somehow adding another website folder to the original joomla install location. ie "joe's subs and sandwiches" being the first site I created then just copying the joomla zip folder, opening it again and naming it with my new site ie "Sandra's amazing manicures" (obviously both fictitious names for example purposes).
Then follow through the install again. However it won't let me do this. Thus the head banging on the desk insues.

The ultimate question:
1. Do I need to completely un-install joomla on my computer and re-install it every single time I want to create a new site?
This causes an issue in my eyes, because then, the modules/components that i want to use on every single site, I now have to spend the time to re-install them in the new install.

2. Is there a way to have a master install?

Thanks so much for your help, just getting a quick response brought a huge sigh of relief.

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:28 am

Perhaps go through this previous post of mine that details all the "sordid" processes :)
@snifflevalve

sherriblueberri
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sherriblueberri » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:18 pm

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. That's exactly what I needed. It all finally "clicked". Thanks so much!!

dsoflin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dsoflin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 pm

I am completely understanding what Sherri is saying. I too downloaded Joomla and went through the setup however for a certain site. NOW, I want to build another with Joomla and can't figure out how to go about it. I followed the directions of 2ninerniner2 (think that's right) and now I have two sets of the same folders on my WAMP/www folder and it just tells me to remove installation folder...it doesnt let me set up a new user and pw. I went into phpmyadmin and added a database that I was going to use with joomla 2nd install but how do I connect it to the joomla folder I just installed as a duplicate.

Thanks,
D

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:59 am

D -

By the sound of your post, you are doing this locally on your own computer using WAMP. If this is the case, then it's really easy :) You can have as many Joomla! "sites" as your hard drive has room for :)

Just:
- create a new folder within WAMP/www
- give it a name (lower case, no spaces or special characters ... joomla2 for instance)
- extract the Joomla ZIP to this new folder
- run the installer by entering localhost/name_of_folder into your browser
- that's it! :)

And remember, your WAMP server is not just for Joomla! but can be used for any other similarly structured (that is, PHP and MySQL) site, such as WordPress, Drupal, PrestaShop, eFront, Moodle, etc.

NOTE: unless you plan on having only one site in your local WAMP server, then DO NOT install ANYTHING directly into the WAMP/www location. Place each installation into a separate folder within WAMP/www

Cheers!
Lyle
@snifflevalve

Return to “docs.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”