Joomla! Documentation Workgroup

Moderator: Documentation

ashishyadav26
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

"Installing Joomla" documentation

Post by ashishyadav26 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:06 am

Hi,

Can someone please update the documentation "http://docs.joomla.org/Installing_Joomla!" with the respective needs of directory ownership and permissions?

I wasted so many hours because I hadn't changed the ownership of Joomla directories to "www-data", which apparently is Apache user. It would be beneficial to new comers for whom I believe the page has been written for, to change it in line of "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Joomla".

Thanks

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: "Installing Joomla" documentation

Post by humvee » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:05 am

[Mod note: Moved from Installation Forum to Documentation Forum;] I am sure if you wish to volunteer your services to write documentation content it would be welcome but I would suggest you do not make such a blanket demand of the volunteers that work on all aspects of the Joomla Project!

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:29 am

May i also suggest that if you are to link to an external site , you link to one that does not detail how to install a script that old. Support for Joomla 1.0.x series stopped July 22, 2009.
It would be like telling someone how to install windows by sending someone to windows 3.1 pages

The suggestion to write a documentation page of your own experiences and process to install joomla locally might be helpful for the docs pages
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Please don't turn the Joomla installation procedure into a tutorial for installing hardware, linux, apache, php, mysql and filesystem security. Joomla requires write access to the filesystem and database. How you provide that is up to you and depending on a lot of other requirements.

In this case the ubuntu docs need to be changed, not the Joomla docs.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

Return to “docs.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”