Joomla! Documentation Workgroup

Moderator: Documentation

JimGasperini
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Beginner portal misleading

Post by JimGasperini » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:24 pm

Hello--
A nelatively new user, I decided to work my way through the beginner tutorials promised several places on this site. I read through the overview, then followed a link to Introduction to Templates, which I found nicely detailed.

At the bottom of that page there was no link to Introduction to Categories, or any other form of navigation to the rest of the tutorials. It took me a long time searching and stumbling about to determine that those two pages are all that exists. I did find a page with links to a dozen or so other pages, all of which are stubs last updated two years ago.

I realize that Joomla is a volunteer effort, so if no volunteers step up, things just don't happen. If Joomla has no coherent documentation for beginners, however, or only sketchy pieces here and there, I'd recommend saying so up front, rather than presenting misleading links in a variety of places to a "set of tutorials" that don't exist.

I will now explore links to other sites that purport to explain how to use Joomla. If someone has a recommendation, I would appreciate hearing it. Perhaps links could be provided on this site, until enough volunteer energy can be found to create a real set of documentation here.
Thanks,
Jim

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Beginner portal misleading

Post by Webdongle » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:03 pm

JimGasperini wrote:... If someone has a recommendation, I would appreciate hearing it. ...
My recommendation is
Install 2 Joomlas one with sample data and one without
Get a pen and paper
Write down the Categories and Article titles
Create the categories, Articles and menu items in the empty Joomla.
Then decide what you want to do and practice it on the Joomla with sample data.

Search for what you want to do and find different ways of doing it.

imho that is far better than looking for tutorials that teach you parrot fashion. Because Joomla docs has information about Joomla's features and how to configure them it is not a step by step set of lessons per se.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

cmbay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Beginner portal misleading

Post by cmbay » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:18 pm

JimGasperini wrote:I realize that Joomla is a volunteer effort... Perhaps links could be provided on this site, until enough volunteer energy can be found to create a real set of documentation here.
In addition to Webdongle's cogent comments, I will mention parenthetically that there is a project underway comprising about 20 volunteers to revise the Joomla Website. It is currently in the wire frame stage and steady progress is being made.
Charles

Return to “docs.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”