Documentation question concerning Joomla CMS

Joomla! Documentation Workgroup

Moderator: Documentation

vrrc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Documentation question concerning Joomla CMS

Post by vrrc » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:13 pm

I try to use the posted Joomla CMS documentation first before resorting to searching / posting on this forum. However, it is discouraging to see official online documentation which had not been updated in 5 years. No doubt Joomla CMS has undergone many updates / upgrades in 5 years.

So, my official question is: when will the Joomla support staff (volunteer or otherwise) walk through the official documentation and update the articles to reflect the current version of Joomla CMS? (3.9 as of this writing)

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Documentation question concerning Joomla CMS

Post by sozzled » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:31 pm

vrrc wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:13 pm
I try to use the posted Joomla CMS documentation first before resorting to searching / posting on this forum.
What was the question or issue that you were trying to search for?

vrrc wrote:
... it is discouraging to see official online documentation which had not been updated in 5 years
I don't think this is the case. Documentation is reasonably up-to-date (although there are obviously exceptions in some cases). For instance, with the release of J! 3.9, a number of new features—features that did not exist before this version—have been included in the documentation. Some examples of these are: I am sure there are many other examples of recently updated documentation if you would care to look at them. I strongly doubt that the documentation written at the time when J! 3.0.0 was released (about five years ago) has not been maintained over the 60+ releases of the CMS that have occurred in that time. There are also many cases where documentation, written some time ago, is still current and applicable to current situations (even though some of the screeshots and examples used may rely on earlier versions of Joomla).

vrrc wrote:
When will the Joomla support staff (volunteer or otherwise) walk through the official documentation and update the articles to reflect the current version of Joomla CMS?
The documentation repository (based on mediaWiki) is a collaboratively-authored work with contributions from volunteers. There are no "Joomla support staff" employed by anyone who write documentation or perform any other activities involved in the development of the Joomla framework or CMS. If you believe that changes should be made to documentation then you can join the documentation working group and suggest what changes you feel should be made. 8)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Documentation question concerning Joomla CMS

Post by Webdongle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:46 pm

Most of the previous documentation applies to 3.9.0 as well. New features (introduced in 3.9.0) have been documented.

Where previous documentation varies slightly to 3.9.0 (due to images slightly differing menu structure etc.) then a modicum of common sense and initiative is required.

There is no 'one size fits all' documentation because some users need to be 'spoon fed'. It may surprise you to know that many users create websites with their Host's 'one click install' ... and don't even know how to use ftp or edit files on the server.

There is no way to accommodate those type of user ... but all in all the documentation (for the most part) is quite comprehensive.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “docs.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”