Updating Joomla (Manual Method) Topic is solved

Joomla! Documentation Workgroup

Moderator: Documentation

sozzled
I've been banned!

Updating Joomla (Manual Method)

Post by sozzled » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:00 am

Would someone please remove the article https://docs.joomla.org/Updating_Joomla_(Manual_Method) or, at least, plaster it with warnings that dispel the myth that this method is (a) supported, (b) recommended, or (c) works with J! 3.x or later.

There are better articles that explain how to update Joomla! This "manual method" one is not among them.

In the old days, in J! 1.0, the only way to update J! was to replace the files in the files system. In J! 1.5, the updates were performed using the Extension Manager. From J! 1.6, updates are performed using the Joomla! Update component.

The Joomla! Update component (which is fairly well documented) has several options to allow people to update from one version of J! to another. If people want some "other" [manual] method, they're entitled to do whatever they want and, if things don't work, then they only have themselves to blame. I don't want to read complaints on the forum that start with "I used the manual method to update my Joomla and now my website is a total disaster".

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Updating Joomla (Manual Method)

Post by sozzled » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:39 pm

Thanks. The article has been updated with additional, prominent-placed advisory warnings. This should clear up any misunderstandings that people may have about any so-called "methods" people could use to updating Joomla! if they do not use the Joomla! Update component.

Return to “docs.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”