Add fields to registration

For Joomla! 1.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
mpsomas
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Add fields to registration

Post by mpsomas » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:32 am

i tried the solution of bennyv's and i edit the/wwwroot/components/com_user/views/register/tmpl/default.php but nothing change. when i edit the administrator component all was ok.

can anyone help me...

manjunath123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by manjunath123 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:57 am

Hi..
I am using joomla 1.5 I want to extend some user registration fields. I have tried JUser plugin but its asking for System-Legacy mode and there are lots of error in Juser configuration settings..

Is there any better plugin to extend user registrations fields?? Please help....

Thank you..

dam-man
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by dam-man » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 am

Community Builder is easier to configure. You can add as many fields as you want.
Robert Dam - Joomla Forum Moderator
Dutch Boards | Joomla Coding Boards | English Support Boards

mojiry
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mojiry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:11 pm

bennyv wrote:This is actually really simple.

open your joomla database in your db manager. I generally do this in "PHPMYADMIN".
From there open the table "jos_users" and then add your additional fields that you require.

Then you go into libraries/joomla/database/table/user.php and declare you variables. So if you added a country field then you declair the varible like so:

var $Country = null;

The next step in the process is editing the actual registration form. This is done by going to components/com_user/views/register/tmpl/default.php.

I don't recomend copying and pasting the current form fields I have ran into issues when i have done that. Also note that everything you edit is case sensitive.

Feel free to PM me if you require additional assistance.
I'm beginner in joomla! :-[
It's not work for first time :( , but I edit
administrator\components\com_users\views\users\tmpl\default.php
and
administrator\components\com_users\views\user\tmpl\form.php

and now it's work. :D so befor abow editing, I couldn't see any saving data in my db in phpmyadmin.

addition note: I use alpha register component. so I edit com_alpharegistration\views\register\tmpl\default.php to can view change in form. :p

and a question: ??? why we don't need change components\com_user\views\user\tmpl\form.php

addition question: in editing form I add JText::_( 'Cellphone' ); and in language file (en-GB.com_user.ini) add Cellphone=cellphone, but it's not work. please help me :'(
Mahdi Mojiry

sijojohnson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sijojohnson » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:09 am

Hi Guys here is a cool video tutorial on adding extra fields in the registration form...
http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=dk_86nHu3AM

Check it out this is really coooollll...... :geek:

mall
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mall » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:52 am

open your joomla database in your db manager. I generally do this in "PHPMYADMIN".
From there open the table "jos_users" and then add your additional fields that you require.

Then you go into libraries/joomla/database/table/user.php and declare you variables. So if you added a country field then you declair the varible like so:

var $Country = null;

The next step in the process is editing the actual registration form. This is done by going to components/com_user/views/register/tmpl/default.php.

I don't recomend copying and pasting the current form fields I have ran into issues when i have done that. Also note that everything you edit is case sensitive.

I've done it exacly thje way you've discibed it but mu aditional field data is not stored in DB table.

Any idea how to check where it disapears?

green45
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by green45 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:46 am

var $Country = null;

I add in file /var/www/joomla/components/com_user/views/register/tmpl/default.php
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="40">
<label id="usernamemsg" for="username">
<?php echo JText::_( 'Date of Birth' ); ?>:
</label>
</td>
<td>
<input type="text" id="username" name="birthDate" size="40" value="<?php echo $this->escape($this->user->get( 'birthDate' ));?>" class="inputbox required validate-date" maxlength="25" /> *
</td>
</tr>
Then by registration I can see the field Date of Birth but it is for text. I would like to have nearby the dropdown calender like in tinymce redactor to pick the date. What is wrong here? Help me next please.

P.S. In db I made querry
ALTER TABLE `jos_users` ADD `birthDate` DATETIME NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00';

skinnyinthecity
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by skinnyinthecity » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:49 pm

I need someone to actually do this for me. I need someone experienced. I need to add two fields only (to registration form). I don't want to screw this up. Thank you.

ciaranc
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ciaranc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:14 pm

I am trying to add a new field called County in the registration form for a new user on my Joomla site.
I have following the video below
http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=dk_86nHu3AM

and made the edits to all the files mentioned.
But when a new user registers the County field shows up blank both in the administrator backend and in the mysql database.

im clueless as to what to do. I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you.
Ciaran

Below are the changes I have made from the video.

Mysql Database

/libraries/joomla/database/table/user.php

components\com_user\views\register\tmpl\defaultphp

components\com_user\views\user\tmpl\form.php

administrator\components\com_users\views\user\tmpl\form.php

poni
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by poni » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:31 pm

I have the exact same problem.

Everything is added in all the right places, when the user registers, the fields turn up blank.

ciaranc
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ciaranc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi Poni, it has to be a database problem I feel. Does anyone out there have any ideas what our problem might be?

poni
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by poni » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm not sure, I've added the fields to the database; I think it might be something with the newer Joomla version, a change in the insert-query, or the way Joomla! gets the form field values? I'm just speculating, though

oliwin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oliwin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:31 am

Tell me please where is file of user's profile?
A want to add new input+field here.
Thank you

Gowzancha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gowzancha » Wed May 26, 2010 10:22 am

mpsomas wrote:i tried the solution of bennyv's and i edit the/wwwroot/components/com_user/views/register/tmpl/default.php but nothing change. when i edit the administrator component all was ok.

can anyone help me...
I have the same prb!! whatever i edit in components/com_user/views/register/tmpl/default.php nothing is changed!!

please any one has any idea about it!!?

Gowzancha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gowzancha » Wed May 26, 2010 1:08 pm

thanks god i got it! it's bcoz of k2! when u install k2 to ur joomla the default register form won't b used but the k2 form which is
\components\com_k2\templates\register.php

krazibit
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by krazibit » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:28 am

var $Country = null;

Thanks this work good for me.
But do you know how i can validate the additional fields i add for correct inputs.

torkelorten
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by torkelorten » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:07 pm

I too get the fields up and running, but the new fields is not saved in the database when registering, it's just blank. Did you guys find out what's wrong?

Thanks

sebastian tm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sebastian tm » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi,

i've added some custom fields to the registration form and it worked ok.
but i want to do an other thing to make it easier to write the birth date.
i've added 3 drop boxes, with day, month, year.

how can i concatenate these three into YYYY-MM-DD so in the database would be added correctly, using a date cell.

thanks,
Sebastian

dansari
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dansari » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:30 pm

One more thing is required that was not covered. The fields that you add in libraries\joomla\database\table\user.php must also be added in libraries\joomla\user\user.php. Without this, the new field values will not be stored in the database.

shydevil
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shydevil » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:29 pm

kdevine wrote:

To add the fields to your registration page you can choose Show in Registration: Yes, however this might not work if you have a custom template for the registration form. If that is the case you can add the fields to your custom form as regular HTML input elements.

Here is a link to the latest version of UserMeta:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/userme ... ge_id=3420
Hello

Could you please tell me where can i find Show in Registration option. I have looked in the plugin through plugin manager but can't see that option.

Thank you

bagou01
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bagou01 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:13 am

hi
i'm on joomla 1.6, do any of those posts still work for 1.6?
for example, when on phpmyadmin, all i got in the jos_users is my account (super user), only that, nothing related to the fields for registration.
also, somewhere in this post somebody said that joomla 1.6 would allow to change that (that was why developpers didn't do much for that issue), is that correct? because i'm on 1.6.0 and can't find where to change that... and as community builder doesn't work for joomla 1.6, i'm kinda stuck here...
thanks

régis

lucato
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by lucato » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:08 am

dam-man wrote:Community Builder is easier to configure. You can add as many fields as you want.
Hey folks and dam-man, before going to CB, I wonder if these created fields are mapped to the jos_users table default from joomla or will this cd form have its own database?

I just want a simple extra fields such as country, state, city, neighborhood in (jos_users). Does it worth to intall CB just for it?

Thanks in advance.

arvindranabhat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by arvindranabhat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:16 pm

It is difficult for me to even add a registration form using Joomla 1.6. I am new to Joomla and I recently downloaded and installed Joomla 1.6. But all the tutorials and guides on the internet are based on the earlier version of Joomla and this new one looks completely different. How can I easily add a registration form on my Joomla site?
I am an entertainment blogger at Mallu and write about Malayalam movies, Malayalam actors, actresses and more.

Andrewjmatthews
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Andrewjmatthews » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:31 am

In 1.6 you can activate the User - Profile plugin that enables extra fields at registration.

http://docs.joomla.org/What_is_the_profile_plugin%3F

starconfig
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by starconfig » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:42 am

Hi, I think this joomla 1.6 is better. Because we can add extra fields. However I got many websites in joomla 1.5 and still I am using 1.5 version because it got more extensions. For add extra field to registration page I think is best to use community builder.
Please read forum rules regarding the use of signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

mikedolf123
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mikedolf123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:23 pm

i want to add some extra field in my registration form in wordpress site how to add it.and made entry in database. hope some one help me. ...

jibon57
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jibon57 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:26 pm

sebastian tm wrote:Hi,

i've added some custom fields to the registration form and it worked ok.
but i want to do an other thing to make it easier to write the birth date.
i've added 3 drop boxes, with day, month, year.

how can i concatenate these three into YYYY-MM-DD so in the database would be added correctly, using a date cell.

thanks,
Sebastian
I also need it . Please help me :(

stbrts
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stbrts » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm

I had to add additional registration fields as well. First of all bought ExtendedReg extension. It does the work and is extremely powerful. Problem was number of small hidden bugs, which some of them crippled the website completely. Developers are helpful, but after spending hours trying to fix new and new issues I gave up and uninstalled it.
Added couple of new fields following instructions on this website: http://www.mysysadmintips.com/index.php/web/100
Works absolutely fine. I know update may break this, but next update would be to 1.7 anyway so I don’t really worry.

For another 1.7 website problem was solved much easier. Simply used User – Profile plugin. Works great. Just had to change names of some fields in language files.

mus1402
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mus1402 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:12 am

stbrts wrote:For another 1.7 website problem was solved much easier. Simply used User – Profile plugin. Works great. Just had to change names of some fields in language files.
Where do you get this User – Profile plugin ??

Has anyone tried this: How-to add a few extra fields tutorial ? Let me know if you have tried it so far that's the only method I've found with NO core code hacks!

markosta
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by markosta » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:30 pm

I add new field with User - Profile plugin (Phone field), but i want to every user have unique phone number in database.
When user register must put his phone number and cannot have more then one acc with this phone number.

Please can you help me...

Sorry about my bad english...

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Coding”