Fixes to allow using ssl/tls enabled mailservers (gmail.com)

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
olivcrom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Fixes to allow using ssl/tls enabled mailservers (gmail.com)

Post by olivcrom » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:46 am

Madhumal wrote:Hi all...

I've tried to get the patch working, but soon as I've unpacked it into the Joomal directory, it gives this error.

Fatal error: Call to undefined method JFactory::getdate() in C:\wamp\www\Copy of SCIFlex\components\com_content\models\frontpage.php on line 178

Any ideas on whats causing this?

Thanks!
I got the same fatal error after trying the patch, I could sure use some help...

mannunix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mannunix » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:45 pm

Created a patch for 1.5.6 (attached), based off of the originals in this thread, and using the latest phpmailer for php5/6.

Worked fine for me, but use at your own risk. Make sure you backup your files first!

Also, looking at the feature request that cyclist created and linked to earlier in the thread, it doesn't look like they want to add this to 1.5.x. However, if we could just get them to update the phpmailer library, no other changes would be needed, as with an updated phpmailer you can get gmail to work with just the following configuration settings and no other changes to Joomla!:

***Do not use these settings with the attached patch*** This is what we could use if the updated phpmailer libraries were included

Mailer: SMTP Server
SMTP Authentication: Yes
SMTP Username: <your_user_id>@gmail.com
SMTP Password: <your_password>
SMTP Host: ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465

***Update***
I have submitted a new Feature Request - White Paper for this. If you are interested in seeing this feature integrated into >=1.6, please visit the thread and voice your support, as I understand that community interest can affect the decision to include a feature:

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=500&t=318396
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bignellrp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bignellrp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:40 am

what can i do to get this working with 1.0.15?

mannunix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mannunix » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:30 am

OK, I don't use 1.0.x, but I went ahead and put together a patch for it and did some (successful) testing.

All this patch does is replace the existing phpmailer library for 1.0.15 with v2.0.2 of the library (php4 compatible), allowing you to use gmail with Joomla 1.0.15, as long as you use the correct settings.

So, download the zip file, upload it to your Joomla 1.0.15 base directory, backup the files in "includes/phpmailer" and then unzip this file.
joomla_1.0.15_securemail.zip
Once you have unzipped the file, log in to the administrator back-end, go to Global Configuration, select the Mail tab, and use the following settings in the existing configuration options:

Mail From: <your_user_id>@gmail.com
SMTP Auth: Yes
SMTP User: <your_user_id>@gmail.com

If you have any issues, double check the settings first. If google is hosting your email under your domain name, make sure to use <your_user_id>@<your_domain_name>, but keep the SMTP Host setting as listed above.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shermer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shermer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:01 pm

how can i enable ssl in php.ini in htaccess.txt

bignellrp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bignellrp » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:44 am

WORKS PERFECTLY. FINALLY!

This has been so long in the making, but a patch that fixes this annoying problem.

Managed to send a user registration to a hotmail user for the first time ever using my 1.0.15 joomla along with the new phpmailer patch above.

Thanks so much Mannunix!

Rik

mannunix wrote:OK, I don't use 1.0.x, but I went ahead and put together a patch for it and did some (successful) testing.

All this patch does is replace the existing phpmailer library for 1.0.15 with v2.0.2 of the library (php4 compatible), allowing you to use gmail with Joomla 1.0.15, as long as you use the correct settings.

So, download the zip file, upload it to your Joomla 1.0.15 base directory, backup the files in "includes/phpmailer" and then unzip this file.
joomla_1.0.15_securemail.zip
Once you have unzipped the file, log in to the administrator back-end, go to Global Configuration, select the Mail tab, and use the following settings in the existing configuration options:

If you have any issues, double check the settings first. If google is hosting your email under your domain name, make sure to use <your_user_id>@<your_domain_name>, but keep the SMTP Host setting as listed above.

Hope this helps.

br686
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by br686 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:27 am

So I'm trying to use the 1.5.6 patch with the testmailer page and I'm getting the following error:

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: () Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

Here is the information I'm using:

Mailer: Smtp server
SMTP Security: SSL
SMTP Port: 465
mail from: my gmail email address
from name: my name
SMTP Username: my gmail email address
SMTP Password: my gmail password
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com

Any Ideas? THANKS!

bignellrp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bignellrp » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:39 am

Looks like your host is wrong:

Try these settings:

br686
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by br686 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:09 am

Still getting the same error :( Any other ideas?
bignellrp wrote:Looks like your host is wrong:

Try these settings:

shermer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shermer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:16 am

YOU SHOULD ENABLE SSL IN PHP.INI

bignellrp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bignellrp » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:17 am

Is your php ssl enabled? You may need to recompile php on your mail server with ssl.

Also, check that your gmail is set to allow imap smtp. Try setting up outlook for example to test gmail over imap and try sending a mail over port 465. This will prove whether its a problem with the phpmailer or with your gmail settings.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/microsof ... look-2007/

mannunix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mannunix » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:54 pm

br686 wrote:So I'm trying to use the 1.5.6 patch with the testmailer page and I'm getting the following error:

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: () Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

Any Ideas? THANKS!
The settings above are correct for the 1.5.6 patch. Don't use ssl:/smtp.gmail.com in the hostname unless you are using the 1.0.x patch.

Given the settings you list above, my guess is that "Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host" is a strong indication that SSL is either not enabled or is blocked on your web host.

To rule out the potential of an issue on the gmail side, I would verify as bignellrp suggested using a desktop client like outlook or evolution.

If that works fine, take a long look at your web hosts php configuration. In the 1.5.6 admin interface, go to Help->System Info-> PHP Information and search for "openssl", it should say "enabled" and list a version of OpenSSL.

br686
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by br686 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:57 pm

Hmm, I don't see anything about SSL or OpenSSL on the PHP Information page :( Should I make a PHP page and get the php info from there? I'm thinking this issue just has to do with my host. Can I enable SSL though htaccess?
mannunix wrote:
br686 wrote:So I'm trying to use the 1.5.6 patch with the testmailer page and I'm getting the following error:

Any Ideas? THANKS!
The settings above are correct for the 1.5.6 patch. Don't use ssl:/smtp.gmail.com in the hostname unless you are using the 1.0.x patch.

Given the settings you list above, my guess is that "Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host" is a strong indication that SSL is either not enabled or is blocked on your web host.

To rule out the potential of an issue on the gmail side, I would verify as bignellrp suggested using a desktop client like outlook or evolution.

If that works fine, take a long look at your web hosts php configuration. In the 1.5.6 admin interface, go to Help->System Info-> PHP Information and search for "openssl", it should say "enabled" and list a version of OpenSSL.

br686
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by br686 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:52 pm

My host just told me that SSL is not available for my server. :( is there anything else I can do to get this working or am I out of luck? Using the server's phpmailfunction sucks.

mannunix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mannunix » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:47 pm

br686 wrote:My host just told me that SSL is not available for my server. :( is there anything else I can do to get this working or am I out of luck? Using the server's phpmailfunction sucks.
Sorry to hear that. You may ask them if they have another solution, such as a local SMTP relay you can use for your outbound mail. If they do, you may be able to send the emails from their SMTP server and still receive responses on gmail.

Otherwise, I would look into another hosting provider that allows SSL, as the number of mail servers that allow non-SSL connections is rapidly dwindling anyway.

bignellrp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bignellrp » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:22 am

br686 wrote:My host just told me that SSL is not available for my server. :( is there anything else I can do to get this working or am I out of luck? Using the server's phpmailfunction sucks.
Name and shame this hosting provider! Its not like a hosting provider to leave out essential options/packages like SSL.

There's lots of cheap ones out there that offer all the necessary services.

dangko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dangko » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:01 pm

I've followed this thread with great interest. On our server we have similar problems, but even with these great instructions I've not been able to get the joomla-mail connected with our google-domain. It seems some guys/girls are experiencing the same problems.

Are there any requirements PHP5 e.g.?

I've updated to 1.0.15, updated the phpmailer-patch. My PHP info shows that SSL OpenSSL are enabled,
but somehow the SMTP connection to our domain-google will not be accepted.

Admin config is:
Mailer: smtp server
Mail From: mailer@intaal.nl
From Name: inTAAL bv
Sendmail Path: /usr/sbin/sendmail
SMTP Auth: yes
SMTP User: etc (pop and imap enabled)
SMTP Pass: etc
SMTP Host: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Security: ssl

The testmailer:
http://www.intaal.nl/testmailer.php

Gives the following error lines:
Mail Host: smtp.gmail.com SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: Connection refused (111) Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

I've also been trying the tls 587 port but it gives the same error. The mailer account has pop and imap enabled.
The same for the gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com option.

Hope someone has any ideas, it's a real braincracker for me :'(

bignellrp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bignellrp » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:21 pm

I think the confusion here is that some people are using joomla 1.0.15 and some are using 1.5.

There are two different modified phpmailers above (joomla_1.0.15_securemail.zip). If you use the newest version of the 1.0.15 phpmailer with joomla 1.0.15 then you neee the following settings (well this is how i got it working)

Make sure you have gmail setup to allow imap. (as i've said, test this using outlook via ssl first)

bignellrp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bignellrp » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:33 pm

dangko wrote:I've followed this thread with great interest. On our server we have similar problems, but even with these great instructions I've not been able to get the joomla-mail connected with our google-domain. It seems some guys/girls are experiencing the same problems.

Are there any requirements PHP5 e.g.?

I've updated to 1.0.15, updated the phpmailer-patch. My PHP info shows that SSL OpenSSL are enabled,
but somehow the SMTP connection to our domain-google will not be accepted.

Admin config is:
Mail From: mailer@intaal.nl
From Name: inTAAL bv
SMTP Auth: yes
SMTP User: etc (pop and imap enabled)
SMTP Pass: etc
SMTP Host: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Security: ssl

The testmailer:
http://www.intaal.nl/testmailer.php

Gives the following error lines:
Mail Host: smtp.gmail.com SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: Connection refused (111) Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

I've also been trying the tls 587 port but it gives the same error. The mailer account has pop and imap enabled.
The same for the gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com option.

Hope someone has any ideas, it's a real braincracker for me :'(

Where's your gmail login? This phpmailer allows you to use your gmail account to send your registration emails via gmail so they dont get blocked by hotmail/yahoo/gmail. It looks like you're trying to use your local smtp user via gmail smtp. I think this may be your problem. Have you got a gmail username and password?

bignellrp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bignellrp » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:35 pm

So.....try the above settings for 1.0.15 and change your server to point to the modified phpmailer rather than smtp server.

dangko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dangko » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Hey guys, thanks for responding in such a short notice.

We're currently using our domain (www.intaal.nl) with the google-apps environment.
All the internal mx-records for mail handling on intaal.nl is redirected towards our google-apps.
So the mailer@intaal.nl is actually a 'google-apps' account similar to gmail, but then hosted on google-apps with our own domain. MS Outlook (if you want to use it) is set up with the same outgoing smtp.gmail.com and ssl 465 as described here for intaal.nl.

Just to be sure I've inserted my gmail personal adress, user and pass in the admin config, but it has the same error result.

Version of the phpmailer is 2.0.2, ssl on php enabled ...
I'm missing something... just can't see it yet ;)

dangko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dangko » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Strange thing I've noticed,

I've used the testunits from the SourceForge PHPmailer, copied the tests to my joomla-root and included the class.phpmailer.php and class.smtp.php from the includes/phpmailer dir.
http://www.intaal.nl/phpmailer_test.php

If I leave the host blank, it can send...
If I fill in host with smtp, the connection goes awry, which appears to be SSL problems.

I've checked OpenSSL status on PHPinfo on server. It's enabled but it's dating back to october 2004, that's pretty old... could this be the problem?

MasterScript
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MasterScript » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:03 pm

My i know for tls 1.5.7 ? Any patch?
RentakFM Radio Station
http://www.rentak.fm

quiquedcode
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by quiquedcode » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:32 pm

MasterScript wrote:My i know for tls 1.5.7 ? Any patch?
me too
@kabeza
Freelance Joomla/CodeIgniter Developer
Home: http://www.beza.com.ar

WarriorsHeart
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by WarriorsHeart » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:02 pm

mannunix wrote:Created a patch for 1.5.6 (attached), based off of the originals in this thread, and using the latest phpmailer for php5/6.

Worked fine for me, but use at your own risk. Make sure you backup your files first!
This is the error message that I get when I use this:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /home/.jeeps/warriorsheart/warriorsheartma.com/libraries/phpmailer/phpmailer.php on line 45

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks!

Ken

quiquedcode
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by quiquedcode » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:23 pm

I've got the same error, but I think it is due to phpmailer files are from the php5 version, and I guess joomla 1.5.6 uses the phpmailer php4 version
I replaced with php4 version, but got a blank page (without mail working) :'(
@kabeza
Freelance Joomla/CodeIgniter Developer
Home: http://www.beza.com.ar

dlkittle
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dlkittle » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:50 pm

i found this solution works much better

http://byet.net/showthread.php?t=7142

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi @all,

If you want this kind of changes to go into the Joomla! codebase the best way to make this happen is create an artifact on joomlacode, add the description and of course the patch and the bug squad will certainly take a look. We have not put this in scope of 1.5.8, but we can take a closer look if the patch is good enough.

Thanks in advance.

Wilco

dxlwebs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dxlwebs » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:22 pm

i use vbulletin and phpbb and joomla all on my local server and i use gmail as my main smtp server none of them apart from joomla have this problem i have upped the patch and the testmailier and i still am having a problem

i am using joomla 1.5.7

my configurations is

Code: Select all

Mail from: my gmail account
From Name; dxlwebs
SMTP Authentication: yes
SMTP Security: tried both ssl /tls
SMTP Port:465
SMTP Username: my gmail account
SMTP Password: my password
SMTP Host: smtp.gmail.com (also tried the ips)

i tried everything i know off and the other sites are fine which means its not my server!

but this is the errors i get

Code: Select all

SMTP Error! Could not connect to SMTP host.

or
(from the testmailer)
SMTP -> FROM SERVER: SMTP -> FROM SERVER: SMTP -> ERROR: EHLO not accepted from server: SMTP -> FROM SERVER: SMTP -> ERROR: HELO not accepted from server: SMTP -> ERROR: AUTH not accepted from server: SMTP -> NOTICE: EOF caught while checking if connectedMailer Error: The following From address failed: 

please if anyone can help it would be great

thnx for reading
DxLwebs - Design Is Everything!
http://www.gamemasterx.com/

MasterScript
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MasterScript » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:50 am

SMTP Error! Could not connect to SMTP host.
RentakFM Radio Station
http://www.rentak.fm

Return to “Administration 1.5”