[GSoC 2009] Group Co-ordinating component for Joomla!

For Joomla! 1.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
Forum rules
Please use the mailing list here: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general rather than this forum.
sunithi_agarwal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

[GSoC 2009] Group Co-ordinating component for Joomla!

Post by sunithi_agarwal » Sun May 24, 2009 10:19 am

Hello everyone,
My project is a GROUP CO-ORDINATING COMPONENT for Joomla!. The main intension of this component is to give an opportunity to users to group-up based on common interests and develop dynamically. This component would allow a website to have multiple groups, headed by a owner, actively participating members and various events.

Developement of this component is done in 2 phases:
1)Basic functional component:
Initially, I shall start with the development of the basic component. By basic component, i mean, component
having the following features:

At the backend:
* Ability to create groups by the administrator of the site.
* Manage the group homepage and supervise the settings for the group like,
Privacy: Public view or Restricted view.
Listing: Listed or not Listed.
* User management: Privilege to add users, delete users and list the users(fetch data from the database).
* Approve/ disapprove the request to create group by any user from frontend.

At the Frontend: (Group owner)
* Any registered user of the site can form a group and wait for the approval by the admin of the site.
* Manage the group homepage and supervise the settings for the group like,
Privacy: Public view or Restricted view.
Listing: Listed or not Listed. (These can overrided by the admin)
* User management: Privilege to add users, delete users and list the users(fetch data from the database).

For Other users:
* Registered user of the site who wish to join a group can wait for the approval from group owner.
* Unregistered users can view the public events of the group.

2)Additional features:
To provide various added features to the users, I wish to include the following:

Sections: Each group is associated with a section by default at the time when group is created. This remains the same throughout.
Each group has just one section each.

Categories:
admin/group owner can create categories under the section for different articles, blog posts etc.
Category owner is privileged to enable or disable comments by the readers.

Discussion lists: This is more like a forum. A user creates a thread and anyone is free to reply or comment.

Announcement: Announcement is like a reminder or a means to convey information(something like that of a scheduled meeting or so)
in mass instead of having to send out mails.

Apart from the above mentioned core features, I would like to implement the following features as well, if time permits:

1)Selection of a theme for a group.
2)Polling module.
3)Posts on group home page may be placed into multiple groups (i.e. cross-posting) and individual posts may be shared with non-members or not. Membership to groups may be open, closed, moderated, or invitation only.

My time-line to achieve the above are:
Week1:
Create the basic component wherein admin can create group,and add basic group information such as description,group owner.

Week2:
Grouping of users,build user list,add remove users from groups.

Week3:
Automate creation of a section per group and have group articles(categories)

Week 4:
Debugging and improving the work done so far.

Week 5&6:
Extend functionality to Front end and backend for all class of users(Admin,Owner,User)
Develop a configuration menu for the administrator and the group owner.

Week 7:
Joining of groups ,i.e join request approval etc and privacy settings.
Listing of groups

Week 8 & 9:
Create the discussion forums.

Week 10
Other group settings such as language and theme etc

Week 11 & 12:
Putting eveerything together anc create a consolidated package,

**The above time-line is subjected to changes if necessary.

Please do help me with your valuable suggestions and views about my project.
Thank you in advance.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Coding”