Joomla Web Services

For Joomla! 1.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
ooffick
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla Web Services

Post by ooffick » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:44 am

"call a button" what do you mean? you want to generate a button via xmlrpc? or you want to call a xmlrpc function when you press a button in the component?

Olaf
Olaf Offick - Global Moderator
learnskills.org

DVD_GR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DVD_GR » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:50 pm

i want to press the button import all of the component feedgator automatically without logging in each 5-6 hours.
the component calls a javascript on click event,
javascript: importall()
so i dont know if its easy to click a button via xmlrpc :/

ooffick
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ooffick » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:26 pm

You would have to write the code to do that. However, this xmlrpc code still needs to be executed on the client side somewhere, so what you really want is a cron job which runs every x hours and calls a certain function. In fact feedgator has a function to do that, all you need to do is enter the following line into your server's crontab:

Code: Select all

0 1,7,13,19 * * * php /YOUR-ABSOLUTE-PATH/administrator/components/com_feedgator/cron.feedgator.php
This would run the the update every 6 hours (at 1:00, 7:00, 13:00 and 19:00).

Olaf
learnskills.org

DVD_GR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DVD_GR » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:03 pm

i tried this but with this the utf-8 slug url plugin does not work, and i get non utf-8 titles :((,
if i get to push the button then all the articles have real utf-8 chars !

ooffick
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ooffick » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:53 pm

You would need to contact the author of that component to find out more about it.
I say it would be easier trying to fix the UTF8 issues, then trying to write an xmlrpc script which executes a particular function.

Olaf
learnskills.org

pbaylis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pbaylis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:51 am

nailson_imgn wrote:Hi everyone.

I'm not used to webservices via XML-RPC. Instead, I've been using SOAP for accessing 4 web services I need as client and it has been really easy to implement / edit / add features so far.
Hi nailson_imgn,

I'm a coldfusion developer, just handed a task to call a SOAP webservice from a joomla page. This is my first experience with Joomla or PHP or SOAP. Do you have an example of how you've wired up your SOAP webservices?

Or anyone else for that matter...who has done this before.

Cheers,
Paul

egutgar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by egutgar » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm trying to connect two differents joomla through xml-rpc.
Firstly I making examples with "joomla.searchSite" method, but I getting the follow answer from the server:

xmlrpcresp Object
(
[val] => 0
[valtyp] =>
[errno] => 5
[errstr] => Connect error: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known (0)
[payload] =>
[hdrs] => Array
(
)

[_cookies] => Array
(
)

[content_type] => text/xml
[raw_data] =>
)raw_data] =>
)

I don't found information about it, and I using the same code that ooffick post in this topic.
The only thing that I changed is the host.
I wish somebody could help me

videohead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by videohead » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:51 am

Hiya,
I'm coming to this discussion with about 30 Joomla sites in production, and another 30 or so planned. Would love a web services model to extend functionality.
I'm not really a developer - more of an integration guy.
I've used the SOAP methods extensively in Magento, as well as using the Magento API to easily write and execute some functionality at Magento. Easy to set up and easy to write - lots of example code.
I've used XML RPC at Drupal to retrieve taxonomy objects from the Drupal API and iterate through them. More difficult, and fewer examples, but still not too bad.
Then I get to Joomla and there is no example code and very little useful documentation.
It looks like I will need to spend five to six weeks working on this, and even then I will only be capable of reading and possibly writing articles - not much in the way of real functionality.
Here's what I would like to see:
API documentation and example code to:
create, modify and delete a:
article, menu item, category, module, and user.
Until this is accomplished, I'm not sure where to consider Joomla in the panoply of CMS's. The API is sort of a joke, since the wiki is full of red links, and there is no other user documentation. Seems useful for PHP developers and MVC junkies, but not so much for integration guys like myself.
If anyone at the Joomla API level wants to steer me the right direction, I would love to see this happen.
Thanks to all of the posters above.

ooffick
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ooffick » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:25 am

Hi,

you would have to write or find a plugin for that, as there is no XMLRPC methods to create, modify or delete an menu item, category, module, or a user.

You could try to experiment with the Blogger API,

Enable the Enable Web Services
enable both XMLRPC plugins (Blogger and Joomla!)

Code: Select all

blogger.newPost
Creates a new post and optionally publishes it.
# @return: string
# @param: string
# @param: boolean

blogger.deletePost
Deletes a post.
# @return: boolean

blogger.editPost
Updates the information about an existing post.
# @return: boolean
Other useful plugins would be the following:
MetaWeblogAPI: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/metaweblogapi/frs/
RealSimpleDiscovery: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/rsd/frs/

Olaf
learnskills.org

videohead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by videohead » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks for the info.
Like I stated, it doesn't appear that the Joomla API is ready for integration-level adaptation, since a significant amount of MVC coding is still required in order to make it useful for anything other than reposting or basic blogging.
Quite honestly, there are better blogging engines.

mc007
I've been banned!

Post by mc007 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:08 am

Hi,
"Web Services" seems to be a topic at the J'nBeyond meeting. Does that mean that Joomla intents to have built-in support sometime ? We're doing mobile solutions for quite a few CMS systems and its a bit sad that only Joomla doesn't has any RPC support, well not anymore. Or can anyone tell us whether this whole will be closed in Joomla3 ?
Please read the Forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

mc007
I've been banned!

Post by mc007 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:45 am

Hi,
we worked also out a mature exchange format to enable inter CMS communication, basing on some ideas of CMIS. It enables to generalize 3th party data such as plugins,etc. Then we had to develop a flexible transport protocol which enables server and client side caching. Its choosing JSONP, SMD or JSON-REST services, according to the context. The design goal was to remove CMS specific bounderies or implementation specific limitations and unify data between CMS or WebServices but also enabling back-end operations such as content managment.

We're glad to share this or make it avaible(BSD). Is there a public board of Joomla Core Developers ? I know there actually only 2 persons in charge and I guess they are very busy.

just my 2 cents
Please read the Forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

mc007
I've been banned!

Post by mc007 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:17 pm

well, I pretty much wish you good luck then.

aalfouzan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aalfouzan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:55 pm

This topic started back in Feb. 2010, so I wonder if there is any update or news that would enable webservices for Joomla?

I've been digging really hard the past days to find a way to call JomSocial services and methods to invoke mobile app fields without success.

I did find Plexicloud Joomla Webservices at: https://github.com/plexicloud/Plexicloud-JWS

Didn't try it though as it goes back to 2010, and seems project was shutdown.
"failing to plan, is planning to fail"

QuickXApp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by QuickXApp » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:03 pm

not really, but if you now the function of the button, you could call it through a xml-rpc plugin.

ah, btw. there is also a more light-weighted xml-rpc for 1.5/2.5. its open source and gpl : www.xapp-studio.com/web/xapp-studio/downloads . its free of course.

aalfouzan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aalfouzan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:08 pm

QuickXApp, thank you very much for the info.

Cheers.
"failing to plan, is planning to fail"

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Coding”