East Coast US Joomla Users [NYC/Manhattan Joomla!Day]

The purpose of this forum is for announcements of approved Joomla events, all other Joomla related event announcements can be submitted at https://community.joomla.org/events.html

Moderator: OSM

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Additional Events Forum Rules <-- Please read before posting.
garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: East Coast US Joomla Users [NYC/Manhattan Joomla!Day]

Post by garyamort » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:43 pm

ultimoAdios wrote:
zip 111**
I'm such a country boy.  To me 2 digits off could mean miles apart. :-)

(I'm right off the triborough bridge/second to last stop on the N)

Interestingly, I tried to see if there was a Meetup for Joomla and Meetup doesn't even have a category for it!

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:52 pm

As I said before... Just let me know a date and time, and I'm in...
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:24 am

A weekend would be better for me... I've got a 1 1/2hr commute down to the island.  I'm pretty familiar once I'm there - worked a block from the flat iron for almost 6 years.

Perhaps it would be a good time to talk usergroup as well, since it looks as though there is nothing out there yet.

I know place was sort of up in the air, but that's pretty easy: we can pick someplace conspicuous and go from there.  Perhaps a little zen wandering.

First things first... a date.  I was thinking sometime in September.  Would keep it close to J! day and keep things fresh. If we do a Saturday, we have the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th.  Perhaps a poll might be in order?
If you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem.

garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by garyamort » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:15 pm

Rogue4ngel wrote: I know place was sort of up in the air, but that's pretty easy: we can pick someplace conspicuous and go from there.  Perhaps a little zen wandering.
There are a zillion bookstores one could meet at.  Not sure how amenable they are to that sort of thing here, the LUG down in baltimore met and the local Borders.

If we actually establish a group which meets regularly, I know a lot of user groups in this area meet over at IBM's main office, there is a pain of a sign in process for security reasons(no drop ins - you have to preconfirm) but I could certainly ask on the LUG list what the process is of getting IBM to donate meeting space is(they have since moved over to Google which now seems to be the preferred meeting place for *UG in NYC)

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:15 pm

I'm sure some of the larger bookstores might even encourage it.  All depends.  Someone could do some legwork beforehand, or we could just think of a few places and start coming up with a list.  I'd love a reason to make some more regular trips down to the city.  I miss spending time there.

Once we come up with a date...

garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by garyamort » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:55 pm

Rather than a date, first off I'd like to agree on a day.

I've posted a request over on the LUG for any tips on contacting places for space.

I'll also check with the Union Square Barnes & Noble next time I'm there about holding meetings there.

They have a big empty area on the fourth floor with a stage where they hold events, other times it's just a bunch of chairs around the stage where people hang out.

I think the day and the group size highly affects meeting space location - I notice that the PHP and Linux groups both meet on weekday nights.  So I'm assuming IBM and Google won't make space available on a weekend.

Right now, my time is my own to schedule(just need to arrange projects around the time).  I'd prefer a weekday evening to a weekend evening.

Oh...the heck with this...  One moment.

Ok, please don't laugh at my site, I'm still setting it up(and it keeps getting shoved to the backburner for paying projects)
http://www.beezifies.com/

Register for an account and than you can vote in the poll.  Those willing to travel to NYC only please.

I'll keep setting up polls as long as their is interest and response until we get this narrowed down to a specific day and place.  Maybe have some adhoc meetings over the next 6-8 weeks of anyone interested just for get togethers.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:08 pm

I'm good for anything except tuesday and friday nights...

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...

garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by garyamort » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:17 pm

One second..I don't like that default poll component..  I'm going to install a new one.

garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by garyamort » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:35 pm

Ok, I installed and setup PollXT.  Much better, it allows checkbox voting.  I've cleared out all the votes(just mine I beleive) and since it claims to have cookie/session tracking to track who voted and avoid duplicate voting, I've enabled them for any users.

So go vote!

http://www.beezifies.com

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:52 pm

Ok... I'm registered.. just have to give me the thumbs-up.  Not sure what Sept will hold for me as far as my evenings, but I'm sure I can catch a train in the afternoon for an evening get together.

garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by garyamort » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:19 pm

Just a reminder, if your in or can come to NYC and are interested in having a monthly meeting, please vote in my poll so I can find out how many people are interested.

http://www.beezifies.com - Select the meeting poll at least, and if your interested in an adhoc get together, let me know what days are best.

So far only 7 people, including myself, have voted.  Thursday seems to be the best day.

Hans Zaunere from the NY PHP group was kind enough to reply to my post finding out about space to say the PHP group had office space available that we could meet at.  So it looks to me like a strong possibility that we can get a meeting going.

I'll run the current poll for a few more days to see if we can drum up any more interest, than run the top days past Hans for availability, and then put up a couple new polls to see which week is best for meeting for the top days(I guess it would go first Xday of the month, 2nd Xday of the month, 3rd Xday of the month and last Xday of the month?)

Also if the space is available, I'll see if we can go ahead and have an ad hoc meeting sooner so those who want to get together sooner can while we wait to settle on a day.

garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by garyamort » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:39 pm

Well, there is definitely enough interest to have a meeting.  Right now after looking at the polls,  Thursdays look best. I've talked with Hans over at the NY PHP group and they have generously agreed to give us space on Thursdays evenings to host a meeting, so it's a good deal all around.(I'm sorry to those of you who indicated Thursday wasn't the best day. The next best day seems to be Saturday, so maybe once we are up and running we can have the occasional Saturday meeting somewhere as well. Hosting space is more problematic for Saturdays. And my daughter would kill me if I committed to give up one her days every month.so it will have to be occassional - or a family friendly locale)

The next poll is up to find out which week is best! So go fill it out!  http://www.beezifies.com

If you have a suggestion on a place to meet informally, shoot me a contact using the contact form. If there are no suggestions, my own inclination would either be the lobby at the IBM Building (590 Madison Ave) or the Barnes and Noble in Union Square.

We will plan for our first official meeting to be next month, however THIS month is a summer party being hosted by the PHP Group!
"At 6:30pm on August 23rd, we'll be getting together on the roof-top lounge of The Delancey, in the Lower-East Side. The roof-top is a small piece of tropic serenity in Manhattan, with a relaxing fountain, lush plants, and a great view - and of course WiFi."

See their website, http://www.nyphp.org/index.php for more details. This seems like an excellent time for us to get together and have an initial meeting, as well as finalize the results from the next poll and see what day we want to meet.

garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by garyamort » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:41 am

As some of you may be aware, I'm trying to get Joomla meetings going in NYC.

NYPHP will be providing space for us for a monthly Thursday meeting.  I've been running polls on my website(I have been setting it up lately for my independent consulting work, since I have the space there anyway, I figured might as well use it.)

From the poll feedback, it looks like either the second or third week of the month is likely to be the week of choice.

I will be at the NYPHP event on the 23rd of this month to meet people interested in going to monthly meetings so we can finalize a week.

I have also setup a new poll, slightly longer this time, to get some feedback on what types of presentations people are interested in.  For the most part, I've listed things I have done, or am in the process of doing, so if no one else wants to present I can at least plan on reviewing something of interest to the people coming to the meeting(just don't expect a "professional" presentation - I'll try to be informative and not withhold "secrets" - as I've found most Joomla books seem to do.)

The polls are under NYC Joomla SIG on the menubar, and active polls are displayed in the right hand menubar.  My website is http://www.beezifies.com

So go ahead an give me some feedback  - the only way we can do things you find interesting is if you tell me what you want.

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:20 pm

I've been out of the loop a little bit working on some of the coding 101 stuff.. and another daunting project as well, but I'm hoping to be free.  Might be for next month though... August just looking too busy for me.

cozimek
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by cozimek » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi our New York friends,

We received confirmation that Joomla Day USA East will be held:

October 13, 2007 (Saturday)
Manhattan - location 98% confirmed

More details coming soon, but this small date change (we needed to move it back one week for location logistics) is great because I've been told it coincides with two good events:  the Joomla NY User Group meeting and the SFLC's licensing conference.

Get ready for a weekend of fun!  More details forthcoming on http://www.joomladayusa.org.

Best,
Ryan
Soapbox Engage - "Empowering the missions of non-profits through technology"
www.soapboxengage.com
Twittering at www.twitter.com/cozimek (@cozimek)

garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by garyamort » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:34 pm

cozimek wrote: because I've been told it coincides with two good events:  the Joomla NY User Group meeting
It does?  I haven't been able to find any Joomla NY User group meetings.  Heck, I had to resort to organizing one myself - so I must be desperate.

And if it's the one I'm organizing, 10/13 definitely doesn't coincide with it - we're looking at thursdays not saturdays and haven't picked a week of the month yet.

cozimek
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by cozimek » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:48 pm

garyamort wrote:
cozimek wrote: because I've been told it coincides with two good events:  the Joomla NY User Group meeting
It does?  I haven't been able to find any Joomla NY User group meetings.
Garyamort,

I saw this message where someone wrote that there was going to be a user group meeting on Oct 12, so when I said "coincide" I didn't mean that it would happen the same day, but that they'd be very close to each other.

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg928124

But heck, I'm not even in the user group, so what do I know.  Just reading this thread seemed to indicate it would work quite nicely.

Best,
Ryan
Soapbox Engage - "Empowering the missions of non-profits through technology"
www.soapboxengage.com
Twittering at www.twitter.com/cozimek (@cozimek)

garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by garyamort » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:20 am

ahh, got it.  Thought I dodged a bullet there for a moment.  :-)

In any case, we will hopefully have had 2 if not 3 meetings by then, so new yorkers will know each other a bit more.

I submitted the upcoming NYC meeting(August 23rd) to the events page but I guess I didn't write it properly or it was too late

ultimoAdios
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ultimoAdios » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:05 am

Is this official?

What: First NYC Joomla Users Group Meeting

When: August 23, 2007

Time: ?

Where: ?
Day 12: while driving around with Red Barchetta (nightly) in the cyberstreets.

garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by garyamort » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:41 am

ultimoAdios wrote: Is this official?

What: First NYC Joomla Users Group Meeting

When: August 23, 2007

Time: ?

Where: ?

I suppose it is official as it gets based on the disorginzation involved.
http://www.nyphp.org/
August's dog days are here but relief is on the way. NYCBUG and New York PHP are excited to team up again for an informal New York Technical Community summer networking event.

Even if you're not a member of these groups, you're invited.

At 6:30pm on August 23rd, we'll be getting together on the roof-top lounge of The Delancey, in the Lower-East Side. The roof-top is a small piece of tropic serenity in Manhattan, with a relaxing fountain, lush plants, and a great view - and of course WiFi.

There is no need to RSVP and all are invited to attend. Just stop by 168 Delancey, between Clinton and Attorney, and head upstairs.

We hope you'll join us for this relaxing summer fling before Fall begins to fall.

Joomla Users: The New York PHP Community Joomla SIG will be having it's first meeting at this event. The meeting will serve as a way for people to meet, greet, and decide the future direction of the SIG. And most importantly, it'll be a great opportunity to finally meet the other Joomla users and share war stories.
We(as in I by fiat based on informed feedback from those interested enough to click a few mouse buttons) have decided on Thursdays for a monthly Joomla meeting.

We(as in I since I'm organizing it) have been offered office space at the NYPHP group to hold monthly meetings on Thursdays.

The only thing we(as in hopefully a GROUP of us) have to do now is decide what day of the month to meet.

This dovetails nicely with the NYPHP groups august get together on the 23rd, so they have been kind enough to invite all Joomla individuals to show up so we can meet and pick out a day.

We(as in back to me again) are soliciting feedback in the form of polls(thanks to Joomla and PollsXT) on what day is best for everyone, as well as what topics people would like to have presented at monthly meetings.

You can vote at my site, http://www.beezifies.com/polls_show_all/voting.html

Of the 9 people who have voted, the consensus so far is any week but the last week of the month.
Since our kick off meeting is the 23rd, my tendency is to NOT have it on the 1st week of the following month, but I am willing to be overruled if people actually come to the initial meeting and voice their opinions.

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:22 pm

Keep me posted.  Can't make the first meeting, but planning to be there September if all goes well, and October without a doubt.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:49 pm

I might be able to go this thursday... What kind of party is this, formal (as in suit), or informal (as in t-shirt)?

garyamort
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by garyamort » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm assuming informal.  *shrug*  I also assume based on timing some people will be coming straight from work.

spacemonkey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spacemonkey » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:07 pm

You can come as you are - if I make it, I'll be skateboarding over most likely. Some folks will be in slacks and button downs, but that is due to their dress code at work for the most part. Jeans and a shirt are good, basically clothing is the essential requirement ;)

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Ahhh... Ok...

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:46 pm

cozimek wrote: Hi our New York friends,

We received confirmation that Joomla Day USA East will be held:

October 13, 2007 (Saturday)
Manhattan - location 98% confirmed

More details coming soon, but this small date change (we needed to move it back one week for location logistics) is great because I've been told it coincides with two good events:  the Joomla NY User Group meeting and the SFLC's licensing conference.

Get ready for a weekend of fun!  More details forthcoming on http://www.joomladayusa.org.

Best,
Ryan
Three events! HighEdWeb 2007 PERFECT Timing!!! Thanks!

I hope I can make it,
Amy :)

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:06 pm

Ok, I am definately in for that one.  I'll prob make this thursday night as well.  I've set this Friday morning as the relase date for beta-1 of PageCache 2.0, so it's going to be a busy week finalizing things... 

I'm definately in for J! Day East... It's on my calendar...

ultimoAdios
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ultimoAdios » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:20 am

What: First NYC Joomla! Usr- Group Meeting

When: Thursday, August 23, 2007 (Two days from today)

Time: 6:30pm

Where: The Delancey, in the Lower-East Side
168 Delancey, between Clinton and Attorney

Hope to be there. If not then could you kindly post the following:
  • minute of the meeting
  • attendance/participants
Thank you
Day 12: while driving around with Red Barchetta (nightly) in the cyberstreets.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:39 am

Are we bringing Laptops to this meeting?  Or not? (I'm going to be taking the train in from NJ)...

BigHaus
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by BigHaus » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:39 pm

Hello!

Interested in both Joomla NYC users group AND Joomla NYC day. Is the 10/13/07  East Coast event confirmed? Is a link avail with further info?

Personally, an agenda similar to the admin training would be very very helpful. See below

Day 2:  Components, modules, mambots
Part 1:  08:30 – 11:00
•  The Control Panel
•  Global configurations of the site
•  Locale, server e-mail, cache
•  Languages
•  Static and dynamic content
Break:  10:45 – 11:00
Part 2:  11:00 – 12:30
•  Sections and Categories
•  Main page,
•  Left, right, top, bottom, banners
•  Title, description, main text
Part 3:  13:30 – 15:15
•  SuperAdministrator, Administrator, Publisher,
•  Editor, Author, Guest
•  Permissions and security
Break:  15:15 – 15:30
Part 4:  15:30 – 16:30
•  Images, media
•  Archive
•  Trash
•  Backup and Restore
Part 5:  16:30 – 18:00
•  Feedback Getting
•  Feedback Analyzing

Day 3:  Quick start
Part 1:  08:30 – 11:00
•  What is the extension?
•  Where can I get new extensions?
•  What are components, modules and mambots?
•  How to install the extension?
Break:  10:45 – 11:00
Part 2:  11:00 – 12:30
•  News Feed
•  News Flash
•  Random Image
•  Poll
Part 3:  13:30 – 15:15
•  Banners, Contacts, Links
•  Joomlaboard
•  Joomblog
Break:  15:15 – 15:30