Joomla Users Group in India and J! day!

The purpose of this forum is for announcements of approved Joomla events, all other Joomla related event announcements can be submitted at https://community.joomla.org/events.html

Moderators: rdeutz, OSM

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Additional Events Forum Rules <-- Please read before posting.
skbohra
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla Users Group in India and J! day!

Post by skbohra » Thu May 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi,

It is known to everyone that India has a large pool of talent, in the field of computer science and more and more people are using Joomla! here in India, there are in fact millions of Joomla! users here and thousands of Joomla! developers. But there is lack of a common platform where Joomla! users and developers can talk and share thoughts particularly related to Indian, its not that we don't have Joomla! admirers, but looks like a combined effort is needed. so to make a change in the present situation here I Shree Kant and Nakul Ganesh (he is selected for GSoC 2008 for Joomla!) are preparing to start a JUG! here in India , and wish to organize a J! day after some time. thoughts regarding this are welcome, I believe that a JUG! in India will also help Joomla! Community as there are really very good people here in India :)

Please let us know, what you think! We are eager to make it as soon as possible

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Joomla Users Group in India and J! day!

Post by mcsmom » Thu May 01, 2008 10:24 pm

Great! You might be interested to know that a lot of times the JUGs emerge from the Joomla! Days rather than the other way around.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

Shardul
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Shardul » Sat May 03, 2008 10:58 am

hi i might be late in this topic..
but i am too working on joomla and based in pune [india] .. i too understand the need of common platform for joomla developers.

There are quite good number of people working on joomla in india as well. but its quite get them all on same platform.
But i am really looking forward to contribute in that effort. lets organised first India Joomla Day. I am working on joomla from last 2 years. please contact me on mohite.shardul@gmail.com
There is always an another way!!!!!

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat May 03, 2008 4:33 pm

Our idea about JUGs is that they are pretty local, and that they physically get together on a somewhat regular basis. So usually they are centered around one city, school or workplace and draw people from the surrounding area.

JUGs can sponsor Joomla! Days but there are lots of Joomla! Days that are sponsored by ad hoc groups of people. Joomla! Days can be for a whole country or for a region within a larger country. For example, you can see by looking at the news on joomla.org that there have been a number of Joomla! Days in Australia this year already.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

skbohra
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by skbohra » Sat May 03, 2008 6:27 pm

Hey
I think your point is right! to Start with a Joomla! day is really good idea, and then end up to making JUG!, it i think will help making more people interested and aware about JUG! thus making the job a more easier, So folks should we plan for J! day , what say? :)

Shardul
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Shardul » Tue May 06, 2008 9:10 am

hi there,

yes of course we should plan for joomla Day..

We need help in specifically about the procedure. Following are some of my questions

1. What are the basic things that need to organize the Joomla Day.
2. How should i do publicity about the Joomla day?
3. What exactly agenda of joomla Day should be ?
4. Do we need to invite the lead Developer as speaker to Joomla Day event.
4.1 If yes then do they charge to come down to india or to attend the event?
4.2 if they charge , then how much?
5 Do we need to have Joomla India Day website?

Shardul
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Shardul » Thu May 08, 2008 5:32 am

hello,

really need help here people..

thanks
shardul

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu May 08, 2008 11:27 am

Right now Alex who is the events lead is on vacation. As soon as he gets back he will be in touch with you.
:)

Shardul
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Shardul » Thu May 08, 2008 8:05 pm

hi all,

Me and Shreekant Discuss about the Joomla Day..and we have taken some positive steps towards its organizing.
Following are some of the points we come to conclude

1. We will have joomla Day hosted in India at Pune ( from Mumbai(Bombay) 180 KM)
2. Joomla Day will be organized around first or second week of September this year.. ( 2008)
of course this is subjected to change depending on availability of speakers and arrangement and Environmental Conditions here in India as it will be rain season here by then.
3. We will have limited number of Participants for the event maximum 120-150 Participant
4. It will be one day event Only.

we are still working on other things and still haven't talk with Joomla Core team regarding the Event.

we will get back with more details soon.
If any one has any Comments then Please post here..

regards
shardul

Michelle Bisson
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Michelle Bisson » Sat May 10, 2008 12:55 am

With Alex, the Events Team Leader, away, I am trying to fill in, but I do not have all the answers, but I will do what I can to help you.
1. We will have joomla Day hosted in India at Pune ( from Mumbai(Bombay) 180 KM)
I am assuming that transportation to Pune by train/car is accessible. Please confirm.
2. Joomla Day will be organized around first or second week of September this year.. ( 2008) of course this is subjected to change depending on availability of speakers and arrangement and Environmental Conditions here in India as it will be rain season here by then.
When is does the raining season end? Is the risk of having to cancel or postpone an event high? This is one thing that you would like to avoid doing because it causes so many inconvieniences.
3. We will have limited number of Participants for the event maximum 120-150 Participant
This sounds reasonable. Most Joomla!Day organizers fix the number of participants. And if they sell out early, they plan the following year to increase that number.
4. It will be one day event Only.
Sounds great! I believe that most events are usually one day.

Other items to consider :
1. You do need a minimum of 3 months to plan, but with summer coming, will you have enough time to plan? For many events, this is not enough time.
2. You'll need to have a Web site to announce the Joomla!Day and be able to take online registrations.
3. What about hotel accomodations for out of town people?
4. Where would you host the event? At the same hotel for the out of town visitors?
5. Often there are two time slots for sessions in the morning and two in the afternoon. Each time slot can have 2 or 3 sessions to choose from.
6. Plan several sessions for newbies & plan some sessions for the advanced/developer users.
7. Usually OSM pays for the transportation/hotel of a Core Team member or Working Group Member to be one of your guest speakers.
8. I suggest starting a mailing list such as Google groups as this will help in communicating for organizing this event. You'll need a solid team ex. 4 or 5 (maybe more) members to work together as it is a lot of work but if you share it, it will be manable to all. But at the same time it is a lot of fun.
9. You will need to apply formally to host a Joomla!Day to Alex once he is back.
10. During this time, you can apply to be registered as a JUG. This can be done at any time once you meet the requirements. Details on www.opensourcematters.org.

Since I am only filling in for Alex while he is away, I do not have all the answers and Alex may have to correct me on some items. Most of what I have written are suggestions based upon my own experience in planning events in Toronto Canada. So I am not claiming to be the "Expert", but hopefully, I have a few things that I can share that is useful.
Michelle Bisson, POPcliQ, http://www.popcliq.com
Joomla / OSM Trademarks Team Member

Shardul
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Shardul » Mon May 12, 2008 8:09 am

thank you very much.

transportation to pune is quite good enough . Pune even have Airport with some international flights. So that would be not the problem.

raining season will end till October. I think we have to rethink about the Date then.. It will be better if we have Event after the raining season is over.

We are planning to have Joomla Day India website ready as soon as possible.

I was planning to arrange the event with coordination of Education Institute. but yes Option of Hotel is also open.

we would really like to have more input about the topics of session that could be.

thanks
shardul

Michelle Bisson
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Michelle Bisson » Mon May 12, 2008 12:53 pm

Education Institute. but yes Option of Hotel is also open
Check out both options. It is important that if you choose the Education Institute, that transportation from the hotel to the venue is convienient. The Education Institute may give you a better rate.

Delaying till after the rainy season might be the best.

Brainstorming ideas for topics:

1. Joomla! 1.5 for beginners,
2. Creating Templates
3. Programming Extensions
4. Demonstation of popular extensions
5. Joomla! for businesses
6. Joomla! for non-profits
5. etc...

It is important that there is a variety of sessions, especially for beginners but not forgetting advanced sessions for developers.

Choosing your topics will also be based upon the knowledge base of your speakers. I suggest that you also get in touch with those who have already hosted a Joomla!Day activitiy. They are rich in ideas and can share with you what topics could be good to have.

Remember, although we may give suggestions, it is up to your Joomla!Day organizers to organize a day that will meet the needs of your community. You know your community better the best.

Shardul
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Shardul » Mon May 12, 2008 3:04 pm

Really Really thanks Michelle,

Thanks for the information although i have couple of question.

We need to have website for joomla Day event.. but is there any rules about who will own the domain ?
I am about the buy a domain for this but i just need to confirm that there are no rule regarding the ownership of the domain.

One more question .. there are couple of sponsors interested to sponsor the event. Are there are any rules regarding sponsorship? How would we collect the money from them?

These question might sound very premature but, i just want to make sure everything i am doing is right....

thanks and regards
shardul

Wendy
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Wendy » Tue May 13, 2008 3:15 am

May I add some thoughts here? Been doing some J!Day planning myself these past six months. In hindsight, I would have made a stronger attempt at the following in the beginning, rather than later on in the planning stages:

#1 - If you plan on sessions for beginners and sessions for experts, try to nail down a venue where you can occupy more than one room at a time. Smaller side by side rooms might suit you better than one large room, and that arrangement is often comparable in cost. You can accomplish simultaneous sessions this way, rather than have *everyone* sit through sessions they may not have come specifically to see.

#2 - Schedule in a block of time where participants (Attendees) have a chance to hold the stage and share some of their projects and ideas. When you get your website up, publish some time slots for this (15-20 minutes each) and offer them up on a first come, first serve basis. People like to sit and listen, but they also like to feel included and have a chance to share their experience.

#3 - Be organized before the major planning begins. Come up with an outline for a reasonable game plan, and then engage your community in the planning and spread the workload amongst a range of dependable people.
Shardul wrote:We need to have website for joomla Day event.. but is there any rules about who will own the domain ?
I am about the buy a domain for this but i just need to confirm that there are no rule regarding the ownership of the domain.

One more question .. there are couple of sponsors interested to sponsor the event. Are there are any rules regarding sponsorship? How would we collect the money from them?

These question might sound very premature but, i just want to make sure everything i am doing is right....
Those are not premature questions at all. They are important questions. There are guidelines for hosting a Joomla!Day which I am sure Alex will direct you to upon his return :)
Wendy Robinson
Joomla! Community Leadership Team member

Michelle Bisson
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Michelle Bisson » Tue May 13, 2008 3:50 am

Excellent suggestions Wendy!

It could be be good to have a document written with guidelines & suggestions, such as these, on organizing a Joomla!Day event. It could be in a Q & A format.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue May 13, 2008 4:14 am

Michelle Bisson wrote:Excellent suggestions Wendy!

It could be be good to have a document written with guidelines & suggestions, such as these, on organizing a Joomla!Day event. It could be in a Q & A format.
Go for it: http://docs.joomla.org
Brad Baker
https://xyzulu.hosting
https://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials

Shardul
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Shardul » Fri May 16, 2008 2:13 pm

hi

is alex back ?

would like have input from him on other issues..

thanks and regards
shardul

cheesydutch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cheesydutch » Sat May 17, 2008 9:50 am

Hi Shardul,

Maybe we can allready help you with your issues?

Frank
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

Shardul
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Shardul » Thu May 22, 2008 7:03 pm

hi frank...

May major concern is avaibility of Core team member for Joomla Day India in Oct 1 week...
may i know who could make it to the event.. and any other thing that you think it might help me to arrange the whole event.

i also need inputs regarding Payment, Domain Ownership and Hosting of joomla Day India Website.

regards
shardul

Shardul
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Shardul » Thu May 29, 2008 1:39 pm

I am still waiting for reply from any of the event manager..

Alex is simply not replying to any of the PM's .. how would i go ahead with the Event .

shardul

akede
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by akede » Fri May 30, 2008 8:32 am

Hi Shardul,

Sorry for not getting in touch lately. I just missed that a bit - PM is going to a different email which I don't check regular.

I'm adding you to the Joomla!Day Organizers forum and go on asking Akarawuth to become your mentor for the event. He lives in Thailand and this should make it easy for you to communicate with him about the event.

Kind regards

Alex
Joom!Fish 2.0 your free multilingual solution for Joomla! 1.5 i - http://www.joomfish.net - follow us on twitter @joomfish
Meet us at J and Beyond, 30.05 - 1.06.10, Wiesbaden, Germany - http://jandbeyond.org

beadsboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by beadsboy » Fri May 30, 2008 7:26 pm

Hello Guys,

I am from Bombay (Mumbai) , and designed quite a few websites in joomla .. all by self and forum learning ...

Please count me 'in' the Joomla Day. My mobile no. is 9819880101 / 9221083409 ... Organisers do call me ..

And yes i also have job opening in my company for cms go getter .. please tinkle me.

Thankyou,

Devang

Helvega
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Good Joomla 1.5 hoster in india

Post by Helvega » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi all,

I am making a website for an Indian friend and looking for an Indian hoster since he likes and Indian hoster. I found several, of which I thought www.indiacpu.com may be good, but then they do not answer my e-mails and do not provide a phone number which is already not a good sign. I know advertising for hosters is not aloud here, but maybe there is on the internet a site where I can find a list with Joomla hosters in India? Or maybe some of you like to send me a personal message with some suggestions?
I would be very grateful! I did not find that many Joomla hosters in india (meeting joomla requirements) and if then the site does not look professional or they don't answer mails..

Or do most f you Indian take a hoster abroad?

Can anybody help? :)

thanks!

greetings ,

helga

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:27 pm

Helga, please do not take this thread off topic. You may with to post that request in it's own thread.
Brad Baker
https://xyzulu.hosting
https://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials

coolparth
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by coolparth » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Hello Shardul,

We are a Pune based Web Development form & have been into Joomla since its Days as Mambo. We had been thinking of a Joomla Day for quite some time . By chance i saw this post & seems things have been Quite moving in this direction.
I can help out wherever needed. Joomla Day Pune seems more of a reality now seeing the participation here :)
Parth Lawate Director
Tekdi Web Solutions. http://www.tekdi.net
Techjoomla. http://www.techjoomla.com

Da_Joomlian
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Da_Joomlian » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:30 am

Hey,

I am interested in it too.. I want to participate too

Regards,
Mangesh

Shardul
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Shardul » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:04 am

hello all ,

Sorry for Not getting back to you all people, but now is the time when this can really happen..

So after success of phpCamp pune.. (750+ people) , some joomla developer taking initiative to organise joomlaCamp..

Organising Joomla Day India.. will be next step .. i guess..

i will soon get back to all you people personally.. one we finalise the schedules.. for joomlaCamp.

regards
shardul

coolparth
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by coolparth » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:18 am

Hey Shardul!

You were there for PHPCamp ?
I got talking with Quite a few ppl about Joomla day & they are pretty enthu about it ..
Parth Lawate Director

coolparth
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by coolparth » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:33 am

Another thing i need to know is what is the exact Status of planning as of now so everyone will know how we can take this forward. Also my company would like to be a sponsor so if anything is decided on that front as well, let me know.
Parth Lawate Director

Shardul
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Shardul » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:16 am

hi all...

so we ( bunch of joomla developers from Pune.. ) have decided to organise joomla Day India in April next year.. i.e 2009.
We still have to take permission from OSM foundation though.. Its going to Be typical Joomla Day event like they organise all over the world... But it will be limited seat only.. ( as we dont want 700 + people to show up.. ) ..

But as all knows anything in india is always bigger in size and numbers.. ( we are quite excited after 750 + people show up at phpCamp.. (http://www.phpcamp.org ) ) .. we hope to have Biggest Joomla Day Ever...

Need your support guyes to get good Speakers .. for Joomla Day India!

regards
shardul

Return to “Joomla! Events”