Database encoding for Central European and diacritic Latin

General questions regarding the use of languages and encoding issues in Joomla! 1.0.x. Multi-lingual site solutions can be discussed in the child board. Translation discussions are now separate and can be found in the Working Groups Area.
Ludus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Database encoding for Central European and diacritic Latin

Post by Ludus » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:07 pm

I read long years ago, when I started with bare PHP & MySQL on Windows platform, that is good decision to make database encoding under utf-8! I did it, made PHP-script that I saved also under utf-8 and all worked fine. :D Why I did it? I'm living in SE part of Europa where we using Latin characters with diacritics (a few accents above letters: c, s and z), and PC are running under Windows-a1250 encoding, for those who have Windows XP on it. Now, I don't know for sure what kind of encoding for database, templates and text files with translation (Croatian, Slovenian, Montenegro...any one) must be chose in order to be able to write inside Joomla using national letter set? I read in meantime many brute-force solution but I would like to see genuine and "for good sake" solution of pros for working Joomla 1.0.* ???
Present Joomla 1.0.15 EN Stable has just Croatian frontend translation file, localhost is classic PC under Win XP SP2, Apache 2.0.55, PHP 4.4.2, MySQL 5.0.15.
I filled already database with some data but it's not hard for me to re-install all again from beginning just in order to make running thing.
Thanks a lot for your answer(s).

Return to “Language - 1.0.x”