Special Characters not displaying in Titles or Menus-php.ini

General questions regarding the use of languages and encoding issues in Joomla! 1.0.x. Multi-lingual site solutions can be discussed in the child board. Translation discussions are now separate and can be found in the Working Groups Area.

Moderators: General Support Moderators, General Support Moderators

Locked
rhearn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:34 am

Special Characters not displaying in Titles or Menus-php.ini

Post by rhearn » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:06 am

Hi,

I have spent some time investigating an issue I have had on our WHM-CPANEL controlled webserver serving Joomla 1.0 site pages in a mix of English and Swedish languages including using translation tools like JoomFish. Joomla 1.0.15 using MYSQL 5.0 with UTF-8 char set for connection but with ISO-8859 tables and PHP 5.2.5 at time of writing.

The issue we have encountered was with the display of special characters in Swedish (ÄÅÖ), that were being dropped by Joomla when being input to either content titles or menu items. Special characters input to the content items themselves were being stored and displayed correctly.

The main website locale country settings were either "en_GB" or "se_SV" and having the main website language set as english or swedish did not make a difference.

The solution we found was to ensure that the mbstring.encoding_translation function in the php.ini settings is inactive. It should be noted that we are not currently expecting to support any UTF-8 requirements (languages that cannot be fully supported by ISO-8859 character sets).

Our php.ini settings for mbstring were as follows when the problem was encountered:

Code: Select all

[mbstring]
mbstring.language = "English"
mbstring.internal_encoding = "UTF-8"
mbstring.http_input = "auto"
mbstring.http_output = "pass"
mbstring.encoding_translation = On
mbstring.detect_order = "auto"
mbstring.substitute_character = "none"
mbstring.func_overload = 0
After the update the php.ini settings were as follows:

Code: Select all

[mbstring]
mbstring.language = "English"
mbstring.internal_encoding = "UTF-8"
mbstring.http_input = "auto"
mbstring.http_output = "pass"
mbstring.encoding_translation = Off         
mbstring.detect_order =                           
mbstring.substitute_character = "none"
mbstring.func_overload = 0
We were able to change the php settings at the webserver level, if you can't do that it is possible to put a copy of the php.ini file into the main joomla directory for your site.

Hope it helps.
--BigRich
Rich
Think Solutions AB
Home of WEBKIT
http://www.webkit.se

Locked

Return to “Language - 1.0.x”