Page 1 of 1

UTF-8 - Pros? Cons?

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:45 pm
by deepthoughts
Hi, I'm a bit curious about what advantages and what disadvantages there might be with using UTF-8 as default character encoding. I've noticed some problems with ISO-8859-1 (which is the default encoding for Swedish). For instance jd-wiki is hardcoded to UTF-8 (as far as I can tell) so when trying to use that on a Swedish site it goes kinda bad. Could there be problems with other components? General problems?

[me=deepthoughts]wants to be enlightened![/me]

Re: UTF-8 - Pros? Cons?

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:41 pm
by davidgal
deepthoughts wrote: Hi, I'm a bit curious about what advantages and what disadvantages there might be with using UTF-8 as default character encoding. I've noticed some problems with ISO-8859-1 (which is the default encoding for Swedish). For instance jd-wiki is hardcoded to UTF-8 (as far as I can tell) so when trying to use that on a Swedish site it goes kinda bad. Could there be problems with other components? General problems?

[me=deepthoughts]wants to be enlightened![/me]
Hi Stefan and welcome to the forum,

I'll try and be short:

UTF-8 will allow the entire internet to use one single encoding for all characters and all languages. It also tries to do this more efficiently than pure Unicode.

UTF-8 is planned for Joomla 1.5 and you can get a bit more information here http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg273430

Cheers,

Re: UTF-8 - Pros? Cons?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:50 am
by deepthoughts
davidgal wrote: Hi Stefan and welcome to the forum,

I'll try and be short:

UTF-8 will allow the entire internet to use one single encoding for all characters and all languages. It also tries to do this more efficiently than pure Unicode.

UTF-8 is planned for Joomla 1.5 and you can get a bit more information here http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg273430

Cheers,
Thanks! That was some interesting reading. :) Do you know of any traps or problems using UTF-8 with a Joomla 1.0.8-based site?

Re: UTF-8 - Pros? Cons?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:17 pm
by davidgal
deepthoughts wrote: Thanks! That was some interesting reading. :) Do you know of any traps or problems using UTF-8 with a Joomla 1.0.8-based site?
Thanks,

About 2 minutes ago I made this post http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,55065.0.html :)
I hope it covers your questions.

Cheers,

Re: UTF-8 - Pros? Cons?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:22 pm
by brian
David can i suggest that you copy (or link) to those posts in your developer blog. That way they wont get lost in the forum and will be aailbel easily for everyone to read. They are both efinitley worth the read

Brian

Re: UTF-8 - Pros? Cons?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:28 pm
by davidgal
brian wrote: David can i suggest that you copy (or link) to those posts in your developer blog. That way they wont get lost in the forum and will be aailbel easily for everyone to read. They are both efinitley worth the read

Brian
Hi Brian,

The thought is on my mind. The developer blog is intended more for Joomla 1.5 (as 1.0.x is not in development). I will however, try and find an appropriate place in the Help site for the material.

Hag Sameah,

Re: UTF-8 - Pros? Cons?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:31 pm
by brian
davidgal wrote:
brian wrote: David can i suggest that you copy (or link) to those posts in your developer blog. That way they wont get lost in the forum and will be aailbel easily for everyone to read. They are both efinitley worth the read
Hi Brian,

The thought is on my mind. The developer blog is intended more for Joomla 1.5 (as 1.0.x is not in development). I will however, try and find an appropriate place in the Help site for the material.
Suprised to hear you say that as nowhere on the dev site does it indicate that it is only for 1.5 stuff!!

Guess you should tell Rey to stop using it  ;)

Re: UTF-8 - Pros? Cons?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:39 pm
by deepthoughts
davidgal wrote: Thanks,

About 2 minutes ago I made this post http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,55065.0.html :)
I hope it covers your questions.

Cheers,
As well as it can be answered without trial and error. :) Thanks a lot!

Re: UTF-8 - Pros? Cons?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:00 pm
by davidgal
brian wrote:
davidgal wrote:
brian wrote: David can i suggest that you copy (or link) to those posts in your developer blog. That way they wont get lost in the forum and will be aailbel easily for everyone to read. They are both efinitley worth the read
Hi Brian,

The thought is on my mind. The developer blog is intended more for Joomla 1.5 (as 1.0.x is not in development). I will however, try and find an appropriate place in the Help site for the material.
Suprised to hear you say that as nowhere on the dev site does it indicate that it is only for 1.5 stuff!!

Guess you should tell Rey to stop using it  ;)
I don't think that there is a definitive guide on the use of the dev site but I feel that stuff that is usefull for site admins should be in the help site.

Re: UTF-8 - Pros? Cons?

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:37 am
by progvan
Hello, we've been having a problem with UTF... so far trying to be short..

we're working in Joomla 1.5, and we built a new module as we needed, that copies some information from the database.. the titles of the same articles added before for another section / category of the website... so, while in the articles the characters are shown normally (dashes and Ø and others), in the new module, which is only the title of each article, doesn't show correctly these characters , while the umlauts are shown perfectly because we added a function to make the php change the special characters to the html code - function html entities() - but is not working for other characters except the umlauts.... so we don't have any idea what's going on, and we have not been able to find any solution over the internet..

Thanks to who may help us...

:'(

Re: UTF-8 - Pros? Cons?

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:49 am
by infograf768
progvan wrote:Hello, we've been having a problem with UTF... so far trying to be short..

we're working in Joomla 1.5, and we built a new module as we needed, that copies some information from the database.. the titles of the same articles added before for another section / category of the website... so, while in the articles the characters are shown normally (dashes and Ø and others), in the new module, which is only the title of each article, doesn't show correctly these characters , while the umlauts are shown perfectly because we added a function to make the php change the special characters to the html code - function html entities() - but is not working for other characters except the umlauts.... so we don't have any idea what's going on, and we have not been able to find any solution over the internet..

Thanks to who may help us...

:'(
Which version of Joomla are you using?
1.0.15 or 1.5.7?
I am asking because you post in a 1.0.x language forum and you state 1.5 as your Joomla version.