joomla language translation problem

General questions regarding the use of languages and encoding issues in Joomla! 1.0.x. Multi-lingual site solutions can be discussed in the child board. Translation discussions are now separate and can be found in the Working Groups Area.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

hackersfan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

joomla language translation problem

Post by hackersfan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:02 am

hi
i'm new in joomla. i want to build a multilang site (bangla & engilsh). i installed joomfish. but i cant write bangla in for english to bangali translation.
can any one help me?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: joomla language translation problem

Post by infograf768 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:53 pm

Use Joomla 1.5 and Bangla lang pack.
J 1.0.x is now obsolete.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

deanphillips
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deanphillips » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi, I am a newly registered user. I can see that infograf is probably the most knowledgeable Joomla person I have come across while reviewing the boards online, and I am hoping you can help out.

I have a miltilingual Joomla site with 8 different languages. No problem at all with 7 of them. However I have had to create an additional language pack for Cyprus. We also have Greek language on there that we have not had issues with. The issue is that a) I cannot find a Cyprus language pack (presumable because Cypriots use Greek as their language, so naturally Cyprus as a country would be used in relation to the Greek language pack. No problem.

The problem is that we need a separate Cyprus version as well as Greek (as various pages would have alternate content between the two - but still all in Greek). I am using the JoomFish plugin and have various flag icons the user uses to open the translated content of a page. The solution I thought would be to create another instance of the Greek language pack and change the references to that of Cyprus so that the system can recognise is as an alternate language (theoretically - for both Cyprus and Greece flags to work). I have done this, uploaded the new language pack. Jomfish and Joomla recognise the newly installed pack using the alternate references I gave it. However I cannot get the flags to operate each independently. The Cyprus version of the Partner page opens the Greek version. Is there a way to hardcode the Joomfish flag to force it to open the Cyprus version.

I am almost sure I have set the new language pack up by changing the references and saving as UTF-8 (both ini files and xml files), but may have missed something. Please have a look at the attached img of the joomfish language configuration screen to see where I am going wrong.

Many thanks for any help.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Can you post your Cyprus pack ( as zip may not be allowed, change suffixe to txt) ?

Also, you can't have the same short code for Greek Greece and Greek Cyprus

choose el for one, and cy fo the other

deanphillips
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deanphillips » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:16 pm

infograf768 wrote:Can you post your Cyprus pack ( as zip may not be allowed, change suffixe to txt) ?

thanks. Is it necessary to use "cy" as the short code or can this be anything just so as the system can differentiate the language packs. The reason being that we also have a Welsh language pack that uses "cy" as the short code. I will zip up the language pack after I've tried something else.

deanphillips
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deanphillips » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:49 pm

infograf768 wrote:Can you post your Cyprus pack ( as zip may not be allowed, change suffixe to txt) ?

Resolved this by changing the short code to "cyp"....our welsh translation stays as "cy". I have attached the language pack if anyone wants to use it. Just change the .txt extension to .zip. Note that I also setup a custom Cyprus language flag icon, as this did not ship with JoomFish.

Cheers infograf for pointing the issue out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:18 am

Great.

:)

Return to “Language - 1.0.x”