Joomla, MySQL 5 a utf-8 serious problem

General questions regarding the use of languages and encoding issues in Joomla! 1.0.x. Multi-lingual site solutions can be discussed in the child board. Translation discussions are now separate and can be found in the Working Groups Area.
dweller
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla, MySQL 5 a utf-8 serious problem

Post by dweller » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:22 pm

I have a serious problem with charsets.
I have Joomlu with UTF-8 and I am using MySQL 5.
Till now where the tables set to collation "binary" and data was saved there in utf-8 an the character coding shows properly on the page (frontend, backend). But the problem with "binary" collation is that it changes all the varchar fields to varbinary and in MySQL 5 the command LOWER and UPPER does nothing on varbinary fields.
I set all the default character sets and collations to utf8 and utf-8-general_ci (database, tables and also varchar and text fields). In phpAdmin the data in database shows correctly with proper diacritic.
But in the browser (FF) the diacritic (on the frontend, backend ) is displayed wrong (only the text which are from the database) and when I change the character encoding in the browser to almost anything (iso-8859-1, iso-8859-2, win-1250) the diacritic characters are show correctly, but in utf8 it doesn't show correctly in the browser.
This is a mystery tome.
When I change a varchar field in a table back to binary (varchar changes autmaticly to varbinary), the diacritic of the data contained in the fiield show correctly everywhere.
It seem too complicated to me, can somebody help me out, please?

davidgal
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Joomla, MySQL 5 a utf-8 serious problem

Post by davidgal » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:39 pm

Joomla! 1.0.x does not support utf-8. For correct use you should use a singlebyte character encoding. Joomla! 1.5 will fully support utf-8.

There is a workaround to acheive acceptable implementation of utf-8 in Joomla! 1.0 series. It is published on our help site at http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1641/62/.

If you implement the procedure detailed - you will be able to work with utf-8 on Joomla! 1.0.
David Gal

dweller
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dweller » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:20 am

Thank you very much. With the line uncommented, it works ok!

babarabbas
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by babarabbas » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:07 am

Can u please point out which change is required. I am not able to see the help topic as it requires login. It is urgent.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - 1.0.x”