How to hide Menu Link after login

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ttanemori
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ttanemori » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:02 pm

Hello.

I am using Joomla 1.0.15 with RocketTheme template. Because this questions is not because of the template I am using, I am posting my question here.

Let's say, my Main Menu has "Home," "News," and "Contact Us." I do NOT want to show "Contact Us" for those who log in.

Non members should see Home, News and Contact Us menu links, but registered members should see only Home and News.

How can I hide "Contact Us" for registered members?

Any advices?

Thank you very much.

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How to hide Menu Link after login

Post by dhuelsmann » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:30 pm

There are several modules in the group access area of the extensions directory that would allow you to accomplish what you want. This is just one of them http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/ You would create your contact us menu link in its own separate menu module that does not display the module name and place it beneath your main menu module. Using the module above you could cause the contact us menu link to dissapear when someone logged in.
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

ttanemori
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ttanemori » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:00 pm

Looks like a perfect module! Probably, it would be much more useful and powerful that I expected. Many thanks!!!

ttanemori
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ttanemori » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:57 pm

That one worked fine to hide another menu module. Yes, I could hide "othermenu" for registered members. But because I am using RocketTheme's template, the menu link I want to hide is IN the mainmenu.

Home | News | Contact Us | ..... | .....

Is it possible to hide only "Contact US" from registered members?

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:46 pm

As I said above, just create another Contact Us Link in a new menu module and place it beneath or alongside your existing menu. It will look like it is part of your main menu. Then you unpublish the current contact us menu link
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

patrick_m4
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by patrick_m4 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:33 am

I've taken a different approach to this:

div containing menu when logged out:

[HOME | SOMETHING | SOMETHING | LOGIN ]

div containing menu when logged in - your account is visible only when logged in:

[HOME | SOMETHING | SOMETHING | YOUR ACCOUNT |] {LOGIN }

Login element is outside of a fixed width DIV with overflow:hidden.

On login it just gets pushed out the side of the div so you can see it any more.

ern1001
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ern1001 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:10 pm

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for posting the info on the metamod extension!

It worked perfectly on my joomla 1.57 site - now I have one set of menus for guests, and another set for logged-in users.

obperryo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by obperryo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:41 pm

dhuelsmann wrote:There are several modules in the group access area of the extensions directory that would allow you to acocmplish what you want. This is just one of them http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/ You would create your contact us menu link in its own separate menu module that does not display the module name and place it beneath your main menu module. Using the module above you could cause the contact us menu link to dissapear when someone logged in.

So cool! Thanks for posting.. I don't think the other guy understood.. This was so easy. I just made my menu items for Register and Login go away after login, but this module has so many options to do so much, it's not funny!

Thanks again,
Bob

sagarsollapure
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sagarsollapure » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:41 pm

i am using a community buider as my login module and i have added login register and home as menu items in my main menu. after the user has logged in the login option and the registration option is still being displayed in the main menu.. how to hide these two items after a user has logged in.

can somebody help me...... :(

bproffit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bproffit » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:28 pm

obperryo wrote: So cool! Thanks for posting.. I don't think the other guy understood.. This was so easy. I just made my menu items for Register and Login go away after login, but this module has so many options to do so much, it's not funny!

Thanks again,
Bob
I can see why, because I don't understand either! Wow, metamod looks powerful--and intimidating. Can you please give a little more detail on how you did this? I see a lot about what it can do, but precious little on how to make it do that.

Thanks in advance for clearer instructions!
Brian

Jiddu
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jiddu » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:23 am

Hi thanks! Metamod is great!

For anyone like me reading this post looking for instructions to start with metamod. This video I found pretty useful http://seo.gotwebhost.com/displaying-jo ... g-metamod/

Crownie4
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Crownie4 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 am

## Set the default landing page after successful login
default.landing.page.path=/web/YOUR_NEW_COMMUNITY/YOUR_PAGE

This will set the default page to go to after logging in.

If you want to change what page they go to before the log in you can do the same as above but with:

## Set the default page to the tone page
company.default.home.url=/web/YOUR_NEW_COMMUNITY/YOUR_PAGE

Please let me know if this helps

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”