About feature request acl in 1.6

Contact the Development Working Group here: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general

This forum is now closed and archived.
gorgonz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

About feature request acl in 1.6

Post by gorgonz » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Sorry, if i hit the wrong place for my question, i didn't find a better place ;-)

As could be read in the roadmap for 1.6, it will take a good time, until the new version will shine up. Its something like summer of 2010.

As many others too i'm eagerly waiting for this new feature. On the one hand we have the situation, that the feature packages will need its time until they are done. No discussion about this subject.

What I'm thinking of is a solution in between:

Is there a chance to implement the acl system as a stand alone feature and release it as the first 1.6 implementation? Afterwards you could release a 1.6.1 that holds the other features, that are subject to the roadmap for 1.6

Is this a reasonable idea?

It is just because of the long time, that i argue for this. But i can't evaluate the dependencies. And this is the reason, that i didn't try to open a feature request but ask in this forum.

SFGolfer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: About feature request acl in 1.6

Post by SFGolfer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:18 pm

As many others too i'm eagerly waiting for this new feature. (...) No discussion about this subject.
Yes, we are all eagerly waiting for 1.6 but as the saying goes, "good things come to those who wait". There are no discussions on 1.6's progress because then the developers would be spending their time "discussing" versus "developing".
Is there a chance to implement the acl system as a stand alone feature and release it as the first 1.6 implementation? Afterwards you could release a 1.6.1 that holds the other features, that are subject to the roadmap for 1.6
I'm sure that the primary feature set of the 1.6 will be the ACL itself along with improvements arising from the Google Summer of Code 2009. However, I'd like to counter argue that we all have been (patiently) waiting for 1.6 and the Joomla Community would prefer a solid first release instead of a "pre-release" just to satisfy those who want ACL. Remember that 1.6 is considered a major version jump so lets all wait for the champagne toasting moment.

If ACL is what you are after to complete a project then perhaps an ACL extension is in order: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ss-control
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Return to “Development”