Core Files in Administrator Folder

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
timdog
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Core Files in Administrator Folder

Post by timdog » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:39 am

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this question or if this turns out to be a stupid joomla newbie question. I have installed Joomla a few weeks back and have been slowly learning how to use it. I have noticed two files in the administrator folder that are both 41.09 MB in size. They are core.29128 and core.29809. I am not sure what they are for or why they are almost 85 megs in size. Can someone please let me know if this is normal or if I should delete them?

thanks
tim

gurukatre
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Core Files in Administrator Folder

Post by gurukatre » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:36 am

Hi you can delete all core. file's

for more information read this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_dump
:pop
Thanks
Kind Regards

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by beededea » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:12 pm

That post was six years old...
Yereverluvinunclebert
Steampunk widgets. Platforms of choice: Joomla 1.0/1.5, Joostina 1.2, OSCommerce
Site aims: Optimisation, Security and Solidity
http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/steamp ... k-calendar

gurukatre
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gurukatre » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:07 am

Hi beededea,

I don't care post is how many years old. I got the problem and saw the unanswered post that's why i have replied with solution. So that someone can resolve it easily..
Thanks
Kind Regards

beededea
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by beededea » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:29 am

You keep answering those 6 year old posts! they need answering! :)
Yereverluvinunclebert
Steampunk widgets. Platforms of choice: Joomla 1.0/1.5, Joostina 1.2, OSCommerce
Site aims: Optimisation, Security and Solidity
http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/steamp ... k-calendar

duponsa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by duponsa » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Well, Thank you very much @gurukatre
I have a file called "core" in my admin folder and was wandering what it was. and landed on this thread, thank you for answering even this 6 years old question.

Alpine78
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Alpine78 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:05 am

I got also answer from this topic so it wasn't bad idea to answer to so old topic. Thanks!

Nibblers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nibblers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Thanks for answering the post!! I just spotted a core file and this answered my question.

Welcome to 2017 - *12 YEARS* later (flying cars do almost exist in this timeline!)

gizmo77
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gizmo77 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:08 pm

This is the thread that keeps on giving! Twelve years later, the answer has helped me, too. I found the mysterious core files with number extensions in the main level of my website. They were all exactly 37,044 KB in size with permission set at 0600. I could not download or delete them from CPanel file manager, but could via FTP.

This Joomla forum thread also helped:
viewtopic.php?t=555093

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:48 pm

The only thing that resurrecting these old topics that relate to outdated, dead and unsupported verisions of Joomla does, is to foster the "belief" that J! 1.x is "somehow" supported within the community.

The only "benefit" that derives from allowing these old topics to be resurrected is to re-affirm the misguided belief that J! 1.x websites can be "maintained" (a decade or more after they should have been abandoned and consigned to the rubbish bin) if people believe the tripe that others try to peddle in these forums.

People who continue to operate J! 1.x websites are in denial. They refuse to believe that the Earth revolves around the Sun: they live in their echo chamber of isolation thinking that their websites will survive into the 24th century. Well, "Beam me up, Scotty, because there's no intelligent life here."

It is my firm opinion that the only "good" J! 1.x website is one whose file system and database have been deleted from a server. It is my firm opinion (and the opinion of other responsible members of this community) that J! 1.x websites that continue to exist will continue to suck the life-blood from this forum if questions about how to "resolve" operational issues are tolerated. These old, outdated, vulnerable sites are evidence of years of neglect, years of abuse and years of waste.

Let's do one good thing for the forum category that "offers" some kind of redemption. Lazarus is not returning from the dead no matter how hard people pray; the Earth revolves around the Sun; the forum does not revolve around junk topics like this one that should have been retired a decade or more ago. I don't object to the presence of topics relating to J! 1.x remaining on the forum (even if the information contained within them refers to lessons learnt a decade or more ago). I do, however, object to keeping these topics open, to allow for additional commentary, because it legitimises a perception that information within them is still relevant to present-day circumstances.

Please lock this topic so that further necro-post abuse will not occur. Thank you. 8)

gizmo77
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gizmo77 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 pm

Yes! You are right about J1.5. Fortunately, I am using J3. I found this thread as a top return on Google, maybe because it doesn't deal with Joomla directly, but what turns out to be a hosting/server issue? Right or wrong, this thread has great SEO ranking. If it get's locked, perhaps a link to a similar, more recent thread can be added at the top?

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”