Activation email not being sent!

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jasonwilson1979
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Activation email not being sent!

Post by jasonwilson1979 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Go to the site tab click global then look at the server link make sure your email address is there and not Your@emailaddress.com

53peterp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by 53peterp » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 am

This may help, I'm running a home server ubuntu webserver and these are the setting I am using in my mail setting and they works fine.

Mailer: SMTP Server
Mail from: xxxxr@tpg.com.au (this is my email sent from the server to the person who includes their contact email address)
From Name: Fred Bear
(this will be what I want to appear in the 'From' of my email)
Sendmail Path: (Leave blank)
SMTP Authentication: (choose No)
SMTP Sercurity (choose None)
SMTP Port (choose 25)
SMTP Username: (leave blank)
SMTP Password: (leave Blank)
SMTP Host: mail.tpg.com.au (add your normal email host. As mine is not on my server my host is not localhost but the email provider that I normally use.)

bacmanov
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bacmanov » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:38 pm

i heaved the same problem ..
everything worked except "Activation email", newly registered didnt received activation email.

after some time .. i changed in Global Configuration->Server-> Mail Settings -> Mailer: Sendmail, and now its ok .. i hope i will help to someone not to lose hours of wondering whats the problem :)
;)

Arbiboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Arbiboy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:50 am

Hi,
I recently had this this problem and accidently found a fix (for mine).
I tried all these codes and nothing happened BUT I installed another Joomla! website on a subdomain, set the Default template to JA_Purity (you should install YOUR template and set it live). I registered my account and tada! It was working for some odd reason. So out of the blue, I downloaded a copy of Joomla!, extracted all the files, then I uploaded and replaced all the of the FOLDERS (no other files) into the components folder of my website. All of a sudden, things were flowing again.

<--!!--: Caution :--!!-->

This may or MAY NOT work, so backup your site first!!

danss2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by danss2 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:26 pm

bacmanov wrote:i heaved the same problem ..
everything worked except "Activation email", newly registered didnt received activation email.

after some time .. i changed in Global Configuration->Server-> Mail Settings -> Mailer: Sendmail, and now its ok .. i hope i will help to someone not to lose hours of wondering whats the problem :)
;)
I'll second that^ :)
I had everything working with PHP mailer, then I started using my smtp server function(and, on the top of that) tweaked with quite a few different plugins and comp., and modules, so am not sure what exactly effected the problem, but no registration emails were sending anymore(as I found out couple of weeks later >:( )
So, today, the above solution worked! :D I just switched to "Sendmail" function and - vuala! :laugh:

Laceyglencora
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Laceyglencora » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:48 pm

OK here is the answer to the new user problem we were having. When a user registered and was added to the data base the default value for the sendmail slot in the Jos_users was set to 0 and thus you didn't get the email. I thus have set the default to 1 and tested it and it was sent to all parties Admin and user. Booyaa there you go! ;)

nvfellibrary
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nvfellibrary » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:37 pm

It just does not send the activation email to Yahoo email account.

edcarpenter3
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by edcarpenter3 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:30 pm

I have found a solution to my problem after having the exact same issue - couldnt send ANY emails regarding user reg, but admins got an email!

I think it may be a two part solution:

1: Changed my Mailer to SMTP using SSL
2: Also, took out any non a-z characters out of my From Name box.

Try it, it worked for me

jumroo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jumroo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:37 am

The "from address" in the SITE->Global Configuration->Server->Mail settings has to be recognizable domain like your gmail or yahoo account or you registered domain.

If you turn on debug settings and look at your /var/syslog file you will see the error like

Feb 17 21:41:07 ip-10-251-107-34 sendmail[11398]: p1HLf03i011398: to=xxx@yahoo.com, ctladdr=cv@yyy.com (1/1), delay=00:00:07, xdelay=00:00:03, mailer=relay, pri=30987, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.1.8, stat=Deferred: 451 4.1.8 Domain of sender address cv@yyy.com does not resolve .

xxx and yyy are just representative strings.

crossgraphix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by crossgraphix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:04 pm

I was having this same problem and simply changing the 'Mailer' to SendMail!
:D

vdst
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by vdst » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:17 pm

melsen wrote:Ohhh.. here is a very interesting fact..

In the admin panel, I went to mass mail users, and picked the group with my test users... if I actually use that function.. they DO get the mails... that prooves that

1) My system CAN send mail
2) Joomla CAN send mail

.. the activation emails just isn't being sent/received...
This lead me to the solution. Good to know the mass mail feature is there. Thanks Melsen.

cebuman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cebuman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:10 am

Hi,

I too have been having this problem with a fresh install of J2.5.

In a strange way the registration emails and forgotten username emails would seem to have not been sent, although a message appeared to say they had.
However, if I sent a mass email from the user menu the email was sent and received by the user.

On closer inspection at my hosts email client I found many mailer deamon 'return to sender' notices,
when I inspected the info of the returned email it seems that the problems of no received registration emails comes from those users who registered using a YAHOO email address.

The info looks like this......

Reporting-MTA: dns; postlady.main-hosting.eu
X--Hostinger-Sendmail-System--Queue-ID: 299DD80ECA
X--Hostinger-Sendmail-System--Sender: rfc822; admin@22xxxxxxxxxxx.com
Arrival-Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 09:25:27 +0100 (BST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; xxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.co.uk
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Message not allowed - [PH01] Email not accepted for
policy reasons. Please visit
http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-27.html [120]

I then followed the advice on the above and visited the postmaster at YAHOO, he then told me that....

Resolution

Note: If you are not the system administrator for the mail servers affected, we encourage you to contact the administrator, so they can look into the issue further.

This error message indicates that your email wasn't accepted because it failed authentication checks against your sending domain's DomainKeys or DKIM policy. DomainKeys and its successor, DKIM, are email authentication technologies, which ensure emails really come from their claimed domain.

We only reject emails for failing DomainKeys or DKIM authentication when both of these conditions apply:
1.The signing domain (i.e., as identified in the "d=" tag of the DomainKeys/DKIM signature) has given us explicit indication that all emails from the domain must be signed and authenticated with DomainKeys and/or DKIM to prevent forgery.
2.The rejected email couldn't be authenticated against the sending domain's policy (e.g., due to a missing or bad signature).

We recommend that you contact your domain's mail administrator and make them aware of the problem.

For more information, please visit DomainKeys and DKIM.

So it seems that this problem comes from your sending domain's DomainKeys or DKIM policy.

I have contacted my ISP host about this issue and am waiting for their reply.

As a side note I am having this problem as my site is hosted on a free service as a subdomain, I wonder if it would happen from a real xxxx.com?

regards to you all

jl3dger
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jl3dger » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Just confirming that for me - Joomla 2.5.9 - changing the Mailer setting in Global Configurations > Server from PHP to Sendmail fixed the problem or activation emails not being sent.

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”