can't get into my joomla site after adding new domains

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
douganderson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

can't get into my joomla site after adding new domains

Post by douganderson » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:42 pm

I recently added a new domain to my hosting account.
I used the same admin account on the MySQL database but because the current version of cPanel required a more secure password, I changed it, and now when I try to access my original account I get:

"Error displaying the error page: Application Instantiation Error: Could not connect to MySQL."

I went through all the documentation here about changing passwords but this isn't a matter of I can't log in - I'm not even getting the home page.
Last edited by toivo on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mod note: moved, not related to security

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: can't get into my joomla site after adding new domains

Post by toivo » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:17 pm

If you changed the password of a MySQL account from cPanel and your Joomla installation uses the same account to connect to the MySQL server, you need to edit the file configuration.php in the main folder of your website and update the password in that file.

If your site is still using Joomla 1.0, you should consider migration to a supported version as a matter of urgency.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”