Unable to login to admin area after install

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.
Malke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Unable to login to admin area after install

Post by Malke » Thu May 10, 2007 2:22 pm

Hello.

I just installed joomla on a new website we're starting. I've used similar systems on other websites before, but never used joomla before.

After installation, I am unable to login to the administration area. I don't get the wrong password message, I just get a message saying "You need to login". The username & password is not the problem as I am able to login on the main website with the info.

The site is running on a windows server.

Thanks for any help.

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Unable to login to admin area after install

Post by k4lch » Thu May 10, 2007 2:52 pm

check your save.sessions path and directory are correct and that you can write to it
Loyd Headrick

Malke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Malke » Thu May 10, 2007 3:02 pm

k4lch wrote: check your save.sessions path and directory are correct and that you can write to it
Probably not since I'm on a windows box and I am unable to chmod files. Where is this directory located?
Last edited by Malke on Thu May 10, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catasoft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catasoft » Fri May 11, 2007 6:26 am

I have the same problem... no user/pass error, but index2->index and message "You need to login".
I asked the hosting people to give me write rights to the session_save path (which in my case is /tmp) but it will take a while.

Meanwhile i tried to add a line in .htaccess:

Code: Select all

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
php_value session.save_path '/home/*my_folder*/public_html/tmp'
I created tmp in public_html, made it 0777 but i still can't login...
do you know what could be the issue?

Signature rules: Literal URLs only - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

drewhiggins
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by drewhiggins » Fri May 11, 2007 7:21 am

Hey Malke.

I had this same problem, what I found the issue was that the files were corrupted or I hadn't copied across all the files for the Admin Area.
Your eyes make a circle
I see you when I go in there
Your eyes, your eyes...

occow
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by occow » Fri May 11, 2007 7:53 am

Same question,installation was successful,can view website...BUT...can not login admin area with correct admin account.

drewhiggins
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by drewhiggins » Fri May 11, 2007 9:22 am

Malke, check this link...

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic ... .msg804155

Give that a go, otherwise try installing Joomla - an early version in a different directory and that could work. session_save_path is in \tmp, so that's why I couldn't see it (I'm on a shared server). Maybe for some further detailing you could tell us what Windows OS you're using, what version of Joomla you have etc - all the details.
Your eyes make a circle
I see you when I go in there
Your eyes, your eyes...

ronymon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ronymon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:57 am

I was using the latest joomla and today I was not able to log in admin . it was not showing any error ,when i tried to login it was going back to the page login .. when I checked my config.php ,I noticed that all information there was gone , i edited again and iw as able to login back the forum . but i noticed that all my other setting ,example custom template and images , etc . everything gone :(
i am scared to use joomla now :(
I lost all my posting .. Now I am again installing a new site ,. I want to try 1.6 alpha ..

wa3riz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wa3riz » Sun May 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Is there a solution to this issue? I've seen many suggestions of things to try but no real tools to troubleshoot. I'm looking at a new untouched install which I was able to log into only once as admin. If I try to create a user account, I just get the form back with no messages. I remember having this issue long ago with 1.5 but that was because of a component removal which didn't renable the Joomla user.

Is there a tool that can be used to audit the directory structures for permission settings? Is there a manifest file somewhere? Is there a tool which can be used to audit the database and generate a report of those values which are not set to default?

a little frustrated, but willing to learn, Jeff

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”